cant decide what headphones/amp to get -$800 budget
Mar 27, 2006 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

charis

New Head-Fier
hi everyone,

i am new in the heaphone mania and i am thinking of purchasing a pair of headphones and i am ready to buy. i am desparate for advice. unfortunately there is no where around here to try any of the sets.

i am a musician myself and i am looking for something that would provide a sonic pleasure as well as a music tool to be used for my musical trascriptions. i want something that would give me a very detailed sound thoughout the frequency spectrum especially in the bass region. when i say bass i dont mean loud,slamming (in a bad way), or any other type of bass presence. what i am looking for is a very sharp representation of the bass frequencies whith sharp edges and the highest possible audible resolution. (so that it would aid me during my transcriptions)

the music i listen to primarily is jazz and that is also what i perform. also i like and listen to funk and cuban music. most of my music has double bass as tha bass intrument of the ensemble, but have also some funk collection that obviously has electic groovie bass.

i use a marantz cdp 63se and also have my portable sonys.

i cant decide if i want to go with the stax 3030, or k 701 with micro amp from headroom, or maybe sony sa5000 with micro amp (?) or etys er-s4, or dt 800

or anything else that you might advice.

please help, i am in dire staits

Mar 27, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 11
Haha, well. If you want ultra details, extremely tight bass, and a sharp presentation throughout all frequencies, the SA5K trouces any other headphone in my opinion (other than the DT880). The DT880 comes in second. So that will most likely cost you somwhere around $300 to $400 for the SA5K or around $250 for the DT880.

You would then need an amplifier and will have around $400 to $500 for an amplifier. The MicroAmp is indeed a great amplifier. You might want to consider a high class M^3 as well. A M^3 pairs very well with the SA5K, making it very "musical" while leaving no details out. My third suggestion for an amplifier is the Channel Island Audio VHP1/VAC1.

Mar 27, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 11
Veniogenesis thanks for your reply,

its funny how i thought that people would be recommending the akgs or the stax and then again see your post recommending the sonys or dt 880.
Question: how would the sonys and m^3 work with the marantz 63se and more importantly with my portable with my portable little sony?

also the fact that i listen to acoustic music primarily worries me as far as getting a kinda natural sound from the heapdhones. (something that the sonys are being accuseed of not delivering)

would the akgs k 701 be as detailed as the sonys?
would the stax be as detailed as they sonys?

Mar 27, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 11
sorry, i forgot to mention also that i live in europe and and one of the reasons that i was thinking of going with the headroom amp is the fact that they can make european voltage amps upon request. is that fissible with the m^3?

Mar 27, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 11
would the akgs k 701 be as detailed as the sonys?
would the stax be as detailed as they sonys?

thanx for the replies.

i am sorry for being antzy
icon10.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 11
I have been very happy with the AKG K701/Corda Aria Combo, easily had for around $750 - $775

Mar 28, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 11
charis,
I have been very pleased with my micro amp from Headroom. Make sure you get the desktop upgrade. I don't think you can go wrong there.

I have the 701's on the way, but have not heard them yet.

From many hours of researching them, here and many other places, they sound like they would fit your needs to a T, and the combo would be within your budget.

They also couple well with the micro amp.

Remember, I have not personally heard them together yet, so take that with a grain of salt. Just thought I'd pass on the research time.

When you mentioned mostly acoustic, the Senn 580 or 600 came to mind. They do fantastic in that genre. Just listened to Clapton Unplugged on my 600's(same drivers as my 580's). Very nice and accurate reproduction(yes, I've heard Clapton in concert). Some say they're a little lite on bass, but I find them tight, controlled with adequate bass. Maybe not enough for transcribing, but I think so. YMMV. The 580's are one of the best deals going at this time.

If I was in your position, and couldn't give a listen first, I'd go for the micro/701 combo. Then add the micro dac at a later date.

JMO.....hope this helped a little.

Jim

Mar 31, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #10 of 11
confused.gif

there have been so many rave reviews about the stax 3030 electrostatic headphones that i could get from audiocubes for $780, but nobody is recommending them for my needs. any particular reason?

i hear that the stax 3030 have a very detailed sound that would allow you to pinpoint each intrument with extreme accuaracy. also it would reproduce very clear and tightly audible bass frequencies-even more so than the 701s. is that true? if that is the case then i see my self going with the stax.

as far as where i live: it is a small island called cyprus in the meditteranean sea. we have 240v.

and also forgot to mention that i will have my friend in boston order and pick them up for me so i would pay no taxes.

ps: does anybody know if i can have the m^3 made for 240v?

Mar 31, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by charis
confused.gif

there have been so many rave reviews about the stax 3030 electrostatic headphones that i could get from audiocubes for $780, but nobody is recommending them for my needs. any particular reason?

i hear that the stax 3030 have a very detailed sound that would allow you to pinpoint each intrument with extreme accuaracy. also it would reproduce very clear and tightly audible bass frequencies-even more so than the 701s. is that true? if that is the case then i see my self going with the stax.

as far as where i live: it is a small island called cyprus in the meditteranean sea. we have 240v.

and also forgot to mention that i will have my friend in boston order and pick them up for me so i would pay no taxes.

ps: does anybody know if i can have the m^3 made for 240v?

I find that most people to prefer to recommend an electrostatic due to their lofty price and sensitivity to movement.
IMO, very impractical headphones; id only buy one if I already had amassed a "perfect" headphone collection and had plenty of loot to burn.

As for a headphone recommendation...there is no doubt that the Sonys will give you the detail, seperation and soundstage that you are looking for. However, I find them to be a bit "dry" or "cold" sounding. Very raw sounding IMO; lack the warmth I think youll need for lengthy Jazz sessions.

Id be leaning more toward a a dt880 or 701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back