Can't decide: Senn HD600 or Grado 325i
Oct 19, 2008 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

blownsi

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, newbie here saying hi and like all the others I need some advice:

I currently have Senn 280's and I am wanting to upgrade to something "clearer." I have a LDmk2 on the way and it will be fed by a denon dvd player (burr-brown) for now. I listen to all types of music from jazz to metal. Just in case it helps you to understand what I like - my 2 channel rig has double advents(stacked.) If I choose the 600s I will be purchasing the 650 cables along with them as I hear that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 6
I'd say over all the Grado's are more sonically capable without spending over the edge on an amplifier.

* The HD600's offer a dark sound which tends to be better for processed/digital/enhanced sound. If you are simply after a strong definate bass then go for these.

* The 325i's offer a more detailed/lighter sound across all frequencies which tends to be better for less processed sound (natural recording of real instruments). Still plenty of weight and impact mind you.

Be careful with your choice as you may *think* you want more bass but actually what you are after is a clearer and deeper bass.

Jonathan

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 6
HD600 is actually just as detailed as the Grados, but does not throw the information in your face...it also tends towards a more neutral, real frequency response, while Grados tend to add the extra treble edge to things, which may or may not do good, depending on the music you listen to. HD600 can perform fine without an amp, but will improve with one, Grados will also improve, but nowhere nearly as much.

Grados tend to perform well with rock/metal for most people's tastes, while HD600 is more versatile, with a bias towards classical/jazz and electronic music.

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
60 to 70% of head-fiers confuse bright sound with detailed.

Precisely =). Well - you probably can make the proportion higher than 70%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back