can't decide on headphones :(
Aug 15, 2009 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

elk0019

Head-Fier
i'm looking for a headphone for gaming mainly but i don't want to compromise too much on movies and music (metal and rock mainly but i listen to a wide variety of genders also)

budget is a maximum of 200 $, i could really do without an amplificator

BIG closed cans are welcome ( i don't care about being seen in public with a large headphone lol)

most of the models i mentioned below only have one wire but i would seriously prefer a wire for each can if possible
frown.gif

i took in consideration one of the following models and prices i have found:

audiotechnica a500 (130 $), a700 (127 $), a900 (184 $) (i'm undecided wether to take in consideration the open counterparts, because i read they have a wider soundstage but that would compromise having to be opened insted of closed)

koss pro 4aa titanium (100 $) this is n°1 on aesthetics for me, really love how koss looks but sadly they only go up to 25k, but hey that's a really nice price

i'm on the verge of ruling out dt770 80 pro because of the recommended amplifier

i ruled out sennheisers because of them being to laid

and i really don't know what else to take in consideration... any suggestion is really appreciated, thanks.

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 13
A900, M-Audio Q40's, Ultrasone 580/680.

Any of those can's would be good for gaming etc
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 13
Btw, I wouldn't be too concerned that the Koss only go to 25kHz - the specs mean nothing and are often inflated by the manufacturer. Plus, 25kHz is quite enough considering the fact that you most probably won't hear anything over 20kHz anyway...
If you're interested go try them and see/hear for yourself.

Aug 15, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 13
source sound card is a onboard supremefx x-fi from an asus rampage ii gene motherboard

thanks for reminding me about sound card because i was also doubting if the onboard sound chip is actually the same thing as the dedicated card, but i think i already know the answer to that
smily_headphones1.gif
so what sound card would you lads recommend?
smily_headphones1.gif

very interesting info koshman
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much will a sound card subtract from your $200 headphone budget? Will you be buying new or possibly used? I suggest reading and posting in the computer as source forum for help with the sound card.

i still don't know if i'm going to get a sound card, but if it will bring the best out of the headphones i sure as hell am going to
smily_headphones1.gif

i think i should do a bit of research before taking anything in consideration

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #12 of 13
I noticed a HUGE difference going from onboard audio to an older X-Fi Xtreme Music...massive difference to my ears, plus a much better response from EQ tuning while listening to my JVC HA-RX700's. Then I upgraded to an Auzen Forte w/integrated headphone amplifier, and I'm extremely happy. Definately a good way to go for music, movies and gaming on a PC.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back