Can't Decide on an Amp...
Nov 20, 2016 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nick727

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone. So here's the deal, I'm currently using HE-400i's which I really like, not really looking to upgrade or change these as I'm very happy with them. They're powered out of a Magni 2 which works great with these headphones. However.... I'd like to set-up another listening station in my basement so I can kick back on the couch and listen to music.

I can easily carry the headphones back and forth but obviously an amp needs to be plugged in so it's not that easy to bring back and forth.

So I was thinking, If I'm going to set-up a new listening station, maybe I'll try tube amps and see what all the fuss is about. Naturally though, tubes + 400i might not play too well so this is what I've come down to:

Valhalla 2:
Pros: Can get b-stock for $299. A real OTL tube amp. Looks badass.
Cons: Maybe not a perfect match for 400i.

Lyr 2:
Pros: Can power just about anything, maybe an end-game amp.
Cons: Expensive. Really rather not spend $450 + shipping on an amp.

Bottlehead Crack
Pros: Excellent reviews all-around. $299.
Cons: Likely an even worse match for the 400i than the Valhalla. Have to build it which I'm capable of doing, but really rather not take the time to do it.

DarkVoice:
Pros: $249. Real OTL tube amp.
Cons: Might not match well with the 400i.

Anyway, these are not the only amps I would consider but rather ones that I've been researching the past few days. Also I may purchase a pair of 650's or 6XX next time it drops so that's something I'm keeping in mind too. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 9
Why add distortion and extra tube maintenance to your setup? Just go with another solid state design.

I should also mention tube amps do not allow you to stack anything on top of them and they also get really hot.

Nov 20, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 9
  Why add distortion and extra tube maintenance to your setup? Just go with another solid state design.

I should also mention tube amps do not allow you to stack anything on top of them and they also get really hot.

Just curious to try them out. Last week I was able to test out the Sennheiser HE-1 and thought the tubes looked cool as hell. Stacking isn't an issue.

Nov 21, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #4 of 9
I don't know about the others but the Schiit Valhalla 2 and Lyr 2 don't exactly have that tubey sound if that's what you're looking for. It's closer to sounding like a solid state than a tube in my opinion.

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #8 of 9

I'd like to stay around the $300 mark. Less is better, more is OK if it's worth spending a little more. I'm really not sure how tubey as I've never tried another tube amp besides the HE-1's so I really don't know.

Well at that price point I honestly have no clue what will work with the HE400i as they have a relatively low impedance. A lot of tube amp at that price usually have quite a high output impedance so it may cause some issues with the headphones. I'd say the Valhalla with some tube rolling might be your best bet unless you're willing to bump up your budget to around $600+. In the case that you are willing too, the WA6 or the WA7 are fantastic (WA6 has more colouring). 

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #9 of 9
  Hey everyone. So here's the deal, I'm currently using HE-400i's which I really like, not really looking to upgrade or change these as I'm very happy with them. They're powered out of a Magni 2 which works great with these headphones. However.... I'd like to set-up another listening station in my basement so I can kick back on the couch and listen to music.

I can easily carry the headphones back and forth but obviously an amp needs to be plugged in so it's not that easy to bring back and forth.

So I was thinking, If I'm going to set-up a new listening station, maybe I'll try tube amps and see what all the fuss is about. Naturally though, tubes + 400i might not play too well so this is what I've come down to:

Valhalla 2:
Pros: Can get b-stock for $299. A real OTL tube amp. Looks badass.
Cons: Maybe not a perfect match for 400i.

Lyr 2:
Pros: Can power just about anything, maybe an end-game amp.
Cons: Expensive. Really rather not spend $450 + shipping on an amp.

Bottlehead Crack
Pros: Excellent reviews all-around. $299.
Cons: Likely an even worse match for the 400i than the Valhalla. Have to build it which I'm capable of doing, but really rather not take the time to do it.

DarkVoice:
Pros: $249. Real OTL tube amp.
Cons: Might not match well with the 400i.

Anyway, these are not the only amps I would consider but rather ones that I've been researching the past few days. Also I may purchase a pair of 650's or 6XX next time it drops so that's something I'm keeping in mind too. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

I am having the same problem with SPL Phonitor 2 VS. Headamp GSX-MKII. 
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back