Can't decide: Livewires or UE triple.fi 10s
May 31, 2008 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

channum

100+ Head-Fier
I can't reach a decision for my next move. I am confident in having narrowed the field to two candidates: the Livewires and the Ultimate Ears triple.fi 10 pros. That, however, is a good as I can do. Although I've researched my butt off with other people's information, I still find myself thinking, "I'm definitely going to get the livewires", on Monday and, by Wednesday, it's, "I'm definitely going to get the triple.fis". So, I'll ask for advice.

Assume the following conditions:
  1. This is an either/or choice, whatever I get later this year will be my last signficant headphone purchase for at least another full year, probably longer since each new purchase winds up being that much more expensive than the last and I'm not getting any richer as a stay at home dad.
  2. I own and love Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 pros. I know the fit and sound signature of the triple.fis will be satisfactory. I am intrigued, however, by the potential for even greater comfort by going to customs, this intrigue is offset by the potential for an imperfect fit and/or lengthy (and costly in postage) back and forth refits.
  3. Given my satisfaction with the super.fi 5 pros, I'm simultaneously attracted and repulsed by the triple.fi 10 pros. Attracted in that they will be even better than something I already love, repulsed in that they may not be that different to my not-super-critical ears.
  4. Of full sized headphones I've owned, my Grado SR60 are my favorites for sound quality.
  5. Of earbuds/in-ears I've owned, my super.fi 5 pros and my deceased Audio Technica ATH-EC7 are/were my favorites for sound quality.
  6. I look most for a more or less balanced presentation of the whole spectrum of sound, that doesn't necessarily mean equally presented, but nothing should be overblown, and nothing should be overwhelmed by something else.
  7. I'm easily impressed by detail, and easily turned off by anything muddy or otherwise muffled.
  8. Musically, I listen to everything (last.fm profile here), but the two dominant themes would be female vocalists (e.g. Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amos, Sara Bareilles, etc.) and lots of live classic rock/jam band (e.g. Grateful Dead, Phil & Friends, Dave Matthews Band, Gov't Mule, etc.).
  9. If for some reason you think I should go with something other than Livewires or the triple.fis, keep in mind that fully replaceable cables are must for me. Four years of killing my portables has convinced me that I eat portable headphone cables; my average lifespan is around 8 months before some element in the cable fails in my care. No fully replaceable cables at this point means no sale. Budget is also firm around the $300 mark
Which would you say will give me the most value/satisfaction for my money?

May 31, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 3
Well, think of one thing: if for some reason your ears don't agree with the triple.fi 10 Pro, they are being snatched up pretty quickly on the FS, and with little price difference hit to the seller.
wink.gif

May 31, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, think of one thing: if for some reason your ears don't agree with the triple.fi 10 Pro, they are being snatched up pretty quickly on the FS, and with little price difference hit to the seller.
wink.gif

That did occur to me as the safest best, but I'd just as soon be happy the first time out. I'm trying to weigh the safe (resellable with high predictability based on past experiences) versus the intrigue of the unknown
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back