cant decide? little help
Jul 15, 2005 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

louis cypher

New Head-Fier
im looking to replace my ipod mini. i know what things im looking for and my price range i even now what i dont want but i have come to a fork in the road.

frist is the sony vaio pocket 40gig. for 250.00
next is the samsung 5 gig player with color screen. and then the iriver h10.

the only reason the vaio is in there is the price and the screen. but my problem with that model is sonicestage i came from minidisc to hhd players only a short time ago so i know the ins and outs of the programs and dont mind to much but still dont care for it.

i like the samsung size and price and 5-6 gigs is all i really need to be honest.same with the iriver h10 but dont like the docking cradel for recording. ive been using winamp for my ipod and love it repeat love it! so im wondering do any other players work with winamp?

i really want a color screen other wise i would go back to ipod mini.

so my man question is are any of these worth the money or would i be happier getting a 6gig ipod? ive done more than enough research on all models and just need some real world/people input now.

oh and one more thing does anyone now were to find the samsung headphone output?

thanks for reading and all replys

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #3 of 11
I recommend getting the h10. I trust iRiver in their SQ. I have an iRiver flash player and I love it. IMO the SQ in my iRiver surpasses my iPod. Mainly because of the EQ I guess, but its better.

Jul 15, 2005 at 9:04 AM Post #4 of 11
The big question is why you want a colour screen. The H10 only offers photo browsing, which to be honest is next to useless. There is no mini player to my knowledge which does things like Album Covers (which the VAIO will do).

I personally would not recommend the H10... although the hardware is excellent, it's still got a lot of everyday problems. The SQ is not spectacular, although the tweakability is excellent.

If you want bigger capacity and a colour screen, it seems to me that going for the 20Gb iPod would be a much better idea.

Jul 15, 2005 at 11:02 AM Post #5 of 11
ipod photo is outta my range. i want to keep some view photos but i thnk that the res on these unit is crappy enough to not get one for that reason. but i still dont really need more the 6 gigs so i dont know
frown.gif
to many decision

Jul 15, 2005 at 1:34 PM Post #6 of 11
I like my Vaio pocket. I got it because of the phenomenal price, but the thing itself isn't half-bad. The screen is gorgeous, navigation is pretty nice, and the battery life leaves nothing to be complained about. The build quality is also top-notch; the Pocket feels very solid.

If you have any questions about it, just ask.

edit: It's big. Smaller than it looks in the pictures, but still quite big. Don't forget that.

Jul 15, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 11
Why not look at the Zen micro? Fantastic sound quality in a great package with a long lasting battery.

Jul 15, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperM3
Why not look at the Zen micro? Fantastic sound quality in a great package with a long lasting battery.

Read his post more carefully.
He says "i really want a color screen other wise i would go back to ipod mini".

Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The big question is why you want a colour screen. The H10 only offers photo browsing, which to be honest is next to useless. There is no mini player to my knowledge which does things like Album Covers (which the VAIO will do).

I personally would not recommend the H10... although the hardware is excellent, it's still got a lot of everyday problems. The SQ is not spectacular, although the tweakability is excellent.

If you want bigger capacity and a colour screen, it seems to me that going for the 20Gb iPod would be a much better idea.

I hate to always oppose you from each and every post(technically the ones I look at) post regarding the H10, but my experience is exactly opposite to your's.
Granted, H10's photoviewing is quite useless with its super small screen, but I found them to be quite fun. And you can put a picture of an album cover
rolleyes.gif
onto your player if viewing that is necessary.
I personally would recommend the H10, because both hardware and software is excellent, IMHO. Perhaps UMS version isn't as secure as the MTP(US) version. But all in all, don't listen to bangraman
icon10.gif
rolleyes.gif
ok actually, if you live in US, it is worth buying and trying.

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #9 of 11
Comp-U-Plus sells the iPod photo 2nd Generation 30GB for $307 USD, which is a pretty good bargan right now as it's the cheapest that you're going to pay for 30GB iPod photo that I know of.

Jul 15, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #10 of 11
I'm on my third H10 (which I actually bought, again). The second was the US-issue version. I've kept up with the firmware and software updates. My comments are based on that. I feel I've given it a far longer chance than any other player to get things right. Still no joy... it keeps tripping up on ittirating little points in daily use. In addition to that, iRiver Plus on the UMS version has run amok in my library, renaming files on the fly. iRiver told me that this was "a feature". Generally, it points to the laissez-faire nature of the software and firmware development side of iRiver. Thanks to Inno coming along in leaps and bounds, iRiver's hardware is getting better and better. What runs underneath however isn't keeping up.

The photo viewing as I said before is useless beyond a novelty, and the fact that you can't customise the background means that it all gets a little samey after a while. Album covers seem inconsequential, don't they? But it's nice when it's offered. iRiver have lowballed the possibilitites from a colour screen on the H10.

Less eye-rolling please, and more experience of other DAPs. You may be happy with it. Other people may be happy with it. But it doesn't mean I can't point out it's sloppy implementation and a waste of an excellent hardware platform in comparison to some other DAPs. It took them... what, 5 months of effectively public Alpha/Beta testing to update the H10 into the player it should have been at the very least at release?

If you want a colour screen which does something useful, the iPod 20Gb would be a MUCH better investment. The only exception I can think of that is whether you need the recording or radio.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2
I hate to always oppose you from each and every post(technically the ones I look at) post regarding the H10, but my experience is exactly opposite to your's.
Granted, H10's photoviewing is quite useless with its super small screen, but I found them to be quite fun. And you can put a picture of an album cover
rolleyes.gif
onto your player if viewing that is necessary.
I personally would recommend the H10, because both hardware and software is excellent, IMHO. Perhaps UMS version isn't as secure as the MTP(US) version. But all in all, don't listen to bangraman
icon10.gif
rolleyes.gif
ok actually, if you live in US, it is worth buying and trying.

Jul 15, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #11 of 11
i went a looked at all 3 models today and have added one and took one away. the vaio is no longer a contender. but the 20gig ipod color is nice thanks for the thought bangraman! but the price is just alittle high right now maybe x-mas i can talk the lady into it.i really liked the samsung to be honest felt nice looked nice and had tons of feature. i really liked the usb host option. i take tons of pic with my digital and that would come in handy. and i the samsung had lots of sound settings too! well i think im gonna give the samsung a try and see how it goes i can always take it back.

thanks for you input

L.C

Users who are viewing this thread

Back