Can't decide! Hornet or Tomahawk. Which one would you pick and Why?
Apr 2, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #16 of 57
Velcro between the Tomahawk and iPod.

Velcro is secure, inconspicuous and allows you to easily remove and re-attach when required.

The kit fits in my jacket inside pocket.

If you prefer, you could purchase a tote bag specifically designed for carrying electronic cameras that you buckle to your waist or torso.

Apr 2, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #17 of 57
As noted above, Velcro between iPod and Tomahawk + nice ALO Line Out Dock (Cryo Dock for safe/flexible in-transit sound, Jumbo Silk Dock when stationary).

With Cryo Dock mine can go in-pocket — even in jeans, tho' not if super-tight jeans, of course. With tight jeans, a little carry bag is wise, for the sake of the cable's longevity.

As regards bass, 600 hours is more like it, since audible changes seem to become more noticeable after 500, and continue gradually (in the case of mine) through 600+ hours. Bass does develop nicely, as well as more solid imaging, cleaner highs, etc.

Like mrarroyo, I have both Hornet and TH. I love my Hornet, and yet I've gotten accustomed to carrying my TH with my ES2 IEMs most of the time. They're both wonderful with the ES2, but I guess the small size, easier greater volume latitude, incredible "no-worries" battery life, and even tinier size must be the principle factors for in-transit use.

I do usually carry my Hornet in my briefcase and alternate with the TH at work. (I love the variety.)

Apr 2, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #21 of 57
I'm going to differ from the herd and cast a vote for the Hornet. Today's needs are not necessarily tomorrow's needs. If and when you should ever want to use the amp with hungry full-size headphones, the Hornet is probably the way to go. And, FWIW, once you've decided to start carrying an amp around in addition to your portable player, I really don't see that there's much difference for practical purposes between the two amps in size/portability. I have a Hornet, and I'll tell you, this thing really doesn't "need" to be any smaller IMO. The iPod (5G Video, for example) is a fairly large object. One you attach an amp to it, whether it be a Hornet or Tomahawk, and then add an LOD, you're looking at roughly the same convenience/inconvenience (depending on how you look at it).

I've read reports of the Hornet being out of the game until mid-summer due to parts shortages, as well as reports of people being told that they're available in small supplies, etc. If you wanted a Hornet, I would definitely think it worthwhile to e-mail or call Ray about it.

Apr 2, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #22 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go for the TH for the battery life alone...but I'd go for the Hornet if you ever think you'll venture out of the IEM world! Just a thought! That way you'll only have to buy and burn in one amp.

Take Nicks advice, I did and bought his Hornet
smily_headphones1.gif

I find the Hornet is the unit for home or on the road and for by Etys, or E500s and it drives my HD600s, Grados and other larger cans no problem. Its really a work of art.

Apr 2, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #23 of 57
Jaska you do have a point, when all that equipment is put together, it does seem like it would cover the same amount of area.

Guys besides the bass will I be sacrficing anything else? The Gain switch is not that important since I really want to stay with IEM's and the battery life is really good......Nevermind guys, I believe that the Tomahawk is the right one for me.

Thank you all you for your suggestions, Safe bet is to buy the tomahawk now and then when the hornet comes out, give it a try and if it is really that much better then I will sell the tomahawk, or who knows I might turn it into my stationary setup.

Thanks agian Head-fi

Apr 2, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #24 of 57
Hmm...well if I were only going to look at these two amps, I'd probably take the Hornet over the Tomahawk. I suspect the op-amp in the Hornet has better damping than the one in the Tomahawk (since one uses what is most likely a micropower op-amp whereas the other does not), and additionally the Hornet is capable of a larger voltage swing than the Tomahawk.

Apr 2, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #25 of 57
On the subject of battery life, I thought I'd comment that it is truly phenomenal that the Tomahawk gets the mileage it does from one pair of AAA cells. At the same time, who has a portable player that gets 300-400 hours on a single charge or set of batteries? While this question might seem silly at first, in real life usage, charging a rechargeable battery in the Hornet is not at all inconvenient, since it actually (at least in my case) takes less time to charge the 9V batter fully than it does to completely charge my iPod via USB.

So, as long as you're not out in the wilderness on some 40-day retreat, etc., it's not terribly inconvenient to plug in the Hornet at bedtime when needed, or when charging up an iPod that can't be used with the amp for a while anyway since you probably use an LOD with it. I've used my Hornet every day since I've had it (about a month now) and have not yet had the battery run out on me at an inopportune time--I simply plug it in every time I charge my iPod. Keeping one spare (charged) 9V battery would surely be a good idea for longer trips, but in day-to-day life hardly necessary.

Apr 2, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #26 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the subject of battery life, I thought I'd comment that it is truly phenomenal that the Tomahawk gets the mileage it does from one pair of AAA cells. At the same time, who has a portable player that gets 300-400 hours on a single charge or set of batteries? While this question might seem silly at first, in real life usage, charging a rechargeable battery in the Hornet is not at all inconvenient, since it actually (at least in my case) takes less time to charge the 9V batter fully than it does to completely charge my iPod via USB.

So, as long as you're not out in the wilderness on some 40-day retreat, etc., it's not terribly inconvenient to plug in the Hornet at bedtime when needed, or when charging up an iPod that can't be used with the amp for a while anyway since you probably use an LOD with it. I've used my Hornet every day since I've had it (about a month now) and have not yet had the battery run out on me at an inopportune time--I simply plug it in every time I charge my iPod. Keeping one spare (charged) 9V battery would surely be a good idea for longer trips, but in day-to-day life hardly necessary.

uh-oh.........my decision may be changing again. ahhhhhhhhhhhh.......no wait I can get the hornet in the summer since there are non available right now......(deep breath).....I'll get the tomahawk and then try hornet.

Guys what about Sound Quality....What will I be sacrificing when geting a Tomahawk instead of a Hornet?

Apr 2, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #27 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigizzy75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys what about Sound Quality....What will I be sacrificing when geting a Tomahawk instead of a Hornet?

If you are using them only with IEMs, you will be sacrificing nothing, really. They are simply variations on a theme, which will have some preferring one over the other.

Apr 2, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigizzy75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can get the hornet in the summer since there are non available right now......(deep breath).....I'll get the tomahawk and then try hornet.

Check the FS forum. One just went up for sale in the UK for a VERY good price. Might want to jump right on it
biggrin.gif

Hornet for sale (not mine!)

Apr 2, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #29 of 57
Last week I had the same question so I posed it to Ray Samuels. He suggested the TH so I went with that. I am thrilled with the sound and I am sure it will only get better (I have listened to it for only about 10 hours). As far as what to carry the toys in, I posted the same question earlier today and eagerly await suggestions.

Apr 2, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #30 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...well if I were only going to look at these two amps, I'd probably take the Hornet over the Tomahawk. I suspect the op-amp in the Hornet has better damping than the one in the Tomahawk (since one uses what is most likely a micropower op-amp whereas the other does not), and additionally the Hornet is capable of a larger voltage swing than the Tomahawk.

Like he said … except in really lowdown lay terms: the Hornet offers the extra drive, punch, oomph and a somewhat greater sense of ease with the big phones. It has a more robust — and also somewhat warmer — character. It does not have the particular "airy" presentation of the TH, and listening with my DT880-250/05 it has, besides the bass punch, a bit richer texture, sweeter mids & highs, less upper-mid-to-high emphasis.

The difference in tonal character between the two is very much a matter of personal taste/preference — and you'll have to actually hear the 2 amps to understand and choose.

That said, the TH does drive my 880s very nicely with satisfying bass. It's just that I find the Hornet's bigger punch and (to my ears) more "liquid" presentation more fun and relaxing at times.

Regarding the difference in size: some have noted that with the big 80GB Video iPod, IC, etc., the total size difference is negligible.

I personally feel differently, and only in terms of the maximally compact portability, aside from the slightly smaller size of the TH, it is noticeably lighter than the Hornet for in-transit/in-pocket carry, and I really prefer the TH for that purpose. Definitely lighter overall — and has greater volume latitude with the more sensitive IEMs (ES2 for example), and slightly less-resistant volume travel for easier management in-transit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back