Can't decide HD555 or A500
Sep 24, 2004 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

strahdswift

New Head-Fier
Been reading and searching this forum for about a week now trying to decide on headphones. See I have this problem where I over think and over research anything I buy related to technology
icon10.gif
So some assistance to help me end this struggle would be much appreciated. Anyways, what I am looking for is a nice set of headphones to replace my PC speakers. I recently moved in an apartment with 2 friends with computers right next to mine and an old lady living next door so I need a headphone that can keep sound out and in =P From what I have been reading these two headphones seem to be some of the best in their price range.

Wanting to keep sound in would probably eliminate the 555's but for the price and hopefully performance I would make an exception. My budget is around $150 and I would be using them mostly on my PC through an Audigy ZS. Id consider running the chaintech as ive seen suggested if it wasnt too much of a hastle to setup. I am not an audiophile in the regular sense, just in car audio really, but I can be picky about sound, so quality is important. Extreme bass annoys me and I love good highs and mids. Comfort would be a big factor as well.

Anyways, sorry for yet another "what headphones should I get" post but its human nature to want specific advice and I of course have the strange problem listed above
biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance.

Sep 24, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 10
I had the A500 and still have the HD595s (reportedly similar to the HD555s but please filter my remarks accordingly). Both are comfortable, easy to drive and offer high quality sound reproduction. They do not sound exactly alike so if you can actually listen to them you could make an informed decision. I was somewhat dissatisfied with the mids (vocals reproduction) on the A500s but it is a pretty minor issue.

If you can't actually listen to the headphones, the sound attentuation issue in your situation would push me toward advocating the A500s. However, I don't think you can make a bad choice here since both are fine headphones.

Sep 24, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 10
I would take the A500's over the 555 , i lisen to both unamped and i personaly liked the a500 more , my brother liked the 555 so ,..... is more a matter of taste , the 555 are imo as well greath cans for the money , you can't be wrong with any of these .

Sep 24, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 10
If you aren't sure which one to get, it might be best to just choose the A500 since you get isolation. I'm currently borrowing a pair of K501s and what I really miss most from my a900s is the isolation.

Sep 25, 2004 at 8:01 AM Post #9 of 10
Hey guys thanks for the replies!

I plan on going to listen to the 555's this weekend at Best Buy. It is usually pretty noisey in Best Buy so that should be a decent test of sound leak. Do any of the major US stores even carry the Audio Technica headphones? If so I will definately listen to those as well. As for the Alessandro MS-1's, I dont know many of the major brands, just the more popular ones I have seen mentioned on this board. If you think they are a contender I will definately check em out. Also do you think its worth it to pick up one of the chaintech cards? I would consider doing it if the setup is easy because I do tend to listen to music in long stretches when I am working.

Thanks again.
600smile.gif

Sep 25, 2004 at 8:10 AM Post #10 of 10
You purchase the ATs from Audiocubes and maybe some other websites, but they don't sell in the states. If possible, maybe you can go to a meet or something to demo them if you want.
As for the chaintech, I've never heard it before, but I figure for a $20 or so investment, you can't go wrong
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back