Can't DECIDE D: M5 vs. Turbines vs. PK1???
May 15, 2009 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Loser777

Head-Fier
I feel bad for making so many threads about a 'mere' $200 purchase...
I'm confused as to the difference between the M5 and Turbines, as both have been described as 'bassy' and 'lacking in treble'... And where does the PK1 fit into this, as it's in the same price category.

May 15, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 6
Future Sonics Atrio M5 / M8 Review

Keep in mind that the Turbines are $100 right now while the Atrios is more closer to $160+. For me I was debating the very same thing (and I still haven't purchased either) but I think I would go with the Turbines because it's locally available for easier exchange, two it's cheaper, three it's shallow insertion versus deep one so a matter of comfort. However the Atrios apparently do have way better cable than the Turbines.

May 15, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #3 of 6
i won't be the best of people to recommend the pk1 as i have only heard it in a less than ideal environment. i have owned the ok2 though and it was amazing if you don't need isolation. simply superb.

i also have owned both atrio m5 and the turbine which are both excellent. i prefer the atrio for its drier sound which is a preference issue, not a quality issue. the bass also extends further but i think is harder to control without an amp. the turbine are machined from brass and aluminium so are very strong, much stronger than both the pk or the atrio.

the cable on the turbine and the pk are somewhat similar: microphonic and bouncy. while not bad, they are not good for walking about unless you go over the ear and use a clip to keep the cable free from shirt noises.

i will be reviewing the m5 v2 hopefully in a month or so and will get back on how it fares when compared to the turbine. i have loved all three but the atrio is my favourite.

May 15, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 6
I have owned all three, and just so you know, you NEED an amp to enjoy the PK1, but not the M5 or Turbine. As well as the isolation factor (PK1s is very limited as an ear bud).

May 15, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 6
How do all three fare in terms of isolation -both ways? I think not bothering other people with your music is very important, and I'm not sure how well the PK1 would do this... whenever I use crappy earbuds like the stock Apple earbuds... people often say "Your music is too loud"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back