Can't decide between Senn HD 439 and ATH-M50
Nov 28, 2013 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Yorutamashi

New Head-Fier
Hello community!
I'm 100% new here I and know little to nothing about headphones :p
I've been reading a lot of posts here but i think i need to ask this to finally understand something.
I'm struggling with the decision of buying some new headphones, and i can't choose between Sennheiser and Audio-Technica...
I've realized from what i read here that both have good bass quality, for example i know that Senns HD 439 are less bassy than 449 and some ppl like those more because of that.

I've been using Panasonic headphones for years, mostly because they have stronger bass than others like Philips or Sony.
And know that i know those other exist, i can't really decide because I've never tried any ATH headphones...

I've only tried the Sennheiser HD 202. I really like how they sound btw.

So the thing is, i like to listen mostly to Dubstep and some "hardcore" or metal bands like Slipknot, Korn, A7X but from time to time i also listen to some Reggae... actually any kind of music is fine with me :p

What i need is good strong bass, but i don't want that to distort the original sound of the music...

So guys, what can you tell me? :)
I've been looking at the Senn HD 439 and the ATH-M50.
I can also take recomendations on any other brand or product.

Just let me know if you need more information, thanks a lot for reading this!!!
Regards.

Dec 1, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 8
i have the ATH-M50s and they are great headphones at 120-150 price range.

they have good bass and are pretty clear in the mids and highs, plus they don't need an amp to sound good. 

compared to the HD 439 i cant say for sure which is better, but the M50's are praised on Head-fi as some of the best headphones under 200 dollars, while the HD 439 don't really have that much of a reputation from what i can see.

if the M50s are going to be on sale bellow 150 dollars i would get them without a second thought...

just looked at amazon and they are 100 USD right now so i would get them.

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 8
  i have the ATH-M50s and they are great headphones at 120-150 price range.

they have good bass and are pretty clear in the mids and highs, plus they don't need an amp to sound good. 

compared to the HD 439 i cant say for sure which is better, but the M50's are praised on Head-fi as some of the best headphones under 200 dollars, while the HD 439 don't really have that much of a reputation from what i can see.

if the M50s are going to be on sale bellow 150 dollars i would get them without a second thought...

just looked at amazon and they are 100 USD right now so i would get them.

Thx for your anwser ^^
I can't decide yet because i've heard some really good comments about the Senns, and a friend of mine owns the HD 202, and i really like the way they sound, the thing is that i don't have enough money to get the ATH at that price xD and i was waiting to see a better discount.
Anyway, thx again for your reply.
Regards

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 8
Hey can anyone tell me anything about these?
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40FS-Professional-Precision-Headphones/dp/B0002D03ZW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1385954227&sr=8-10&keywords=audio+technica
they are really cheap right now! xD

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 8
  Hey can anyone tell me anything about these?
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40FS-Professional-Precision-Headphones/dp/B0002D03ZW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1385954227&sr=8-10&keywords=audio+technica
they are really cheap right now! xD

PS: Most critics say they are amazing headphones, but i'm worried because many ppl are saying that one of the phones stopped working after a few weeks.
And the thing is that i'm not from the USA (try 8000 miles south :p) and i can have a friend of mine bring them to me in a few weeks.
Anyone had a bad experience with them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back