Can't decide between hd580 and Grados
Nov 28, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #16 of 32
I have the grados and the sennheisers both and I have to say that while the Senns are not bad for rock and metal, the grados totally blow them out of the water with their forward mids, and sweet warm "hummpy" bass tones. Here is my only grip with the grados, they beg to be cranked and oh how sweet they sound when they are, but I suffer a case of ear ringing every time I listen to grados for more than half an hour, so they had to go. If you have the self control not to crank up the volume, then I'd say get the grados. Other wise get the senns, which is certainly not a compromise when you have the right amp. They still hold up to the worlds best headphones. Oh wait, they are the world's best headphones.....
600smile.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

HeadFi conventional wisdom isn't always right. In this case, IMO, the presumption that Grado is much better Sennheiser for rock/metal is greatly exagerated.

Because I followed the flock, I went through the following progression MS1 to 325i to 325i w/ cpads to HD600. (I still have all of them.) Almost exclusively I use my HD600 for listening that primarily consists of metal / hard rock. In retrospect, I regret not getting HD580 in the first place when choosing between MS1 and HD580. My issues with Grado revolve around comfort (cpads fix this) and listening fatigue.

Between low end Grado (e.g. SR80, Ms1) and HD580, I recommend the HD580 hands down (even for metal). Others will disagree.

Perhaps. Sennheisers certainly doesnt stop one for enjoying metal. High quality headphone IS a high quality headphone.

Grados are mainly one-trick wonders and Senns beat them in many genres, but metal certainly is not one of them. Their soundsignature simply dont match and is far from ideal, atleast in the way i understand metal.

Listening fatigue is very personal thing, aswell as comfort, so perhaps you are just the unlucky ones in that one as i have no problems with those. C-pads really destroy Grados sound. I have one, and never use them...

I always use real life sound as reference. Been listening my friends drumming and bands jamming a lot, Senns that i am aware of are simply so unrealistically soft and unedged. Grados have that edge and spike.

But it IS all about taste. This is my view, and everytime i compare HD595 and SR225, i hear the difference.

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps. Sennheisers certainly doesnt stop one for enjoying metal. High quality headphone IS a high quality headphone.

Grados are mainly one-trick wonders and Senns beat them in many genres, but metal certainly is not one of them. Their soundsignature simply dont match and is far from ideal, atleast in the way i understand metal.

Listening fatigue is very personal thing, aswell as comfort, so perhaps you are just the unlucky ones in that one as i have no problems with those. C-pads really destroy Grados sound. I have one, and never use them...

I always use real life sound as reference. Been listening my friends drumming and bands jamming a lot, Senns that i am aware of are simply so unrealistically soft and unedged. Grados have that edge and spike.

But it IS all about taste. This is my view, and everytime i compare HD595 and SR225, i hear the difference.

Ah I feel that way about referencing real music with the sound signature! Only thing headphones cannot replicate is the air impact from a floor tom when standing in front of it while the double kick pedal is blasting! Bwah such an awesome feeling
rs1smile.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #19 of 32
I'm a Sennheiser fan, and I would say to avoid the HD580 for metal or hard rock. The 580 gets good for accoustic or alternative, but is too bass heavy for heavy metal. The 595 is the best all rounder for rock, but as Maza points out, Grados are brighter and faster for metal. I think the 595s get nice for metal on a high end system (ie my DAC1 is sounding nice!!!). But you have to be spending mucho bucks to get something that the SR225 can easily deliver on a given system. So if it's SR60 vs HD580, maybe you can find a used 595? It'll be a comprimise between those two (actually, when comparing the SR60, I think the 595s are better detailed.....only thing is some might like the SR60's transparency). So it's either that or Grado!!

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by reivaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah I feel that way about referencing real music with the sound signature! Only thing headphones cannot replicate is the air impact from a floor tom when standing in front of it while the double kick pedal is blasting! Bwah such an awesome feeling
rs1smile.gif

True. Thats the thing only speakers can simulate though.
icon10.gif

Quote:

I'm a Sennheiser fan, and I would say to avoid the HD580 for metal or hard rock. The 580 gets good for accoustic or alternative, but is too bass heavy for heavy metal. The 595 is the best all rounder for rock, but as Maza points out, Grados are brighter and faster for metal. I think the 595s get nice for metal on a high end system (ie my DAC1 is sounding nice!!!). But you have to be spending mucho bucks to get something that the SR225 can easily deliver on a given system. So if it's SR60 vs HD580, maybe you can find a used 595? It'll be a comprimise between those two (actually, when comparing the SR60, I think the 595s are better detailed.....only thing is some might like the SR60's transparency). So it's either that or Grado!!

Hmmm... If metal is the thing he mostly listens, i dont think HD595 is that good idea. Why to get jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none when there is so little "trades"?
icon10.gif
And the highs are still too soft to get best out of most metal.

If he decides not to get Grado, i guess some Beyerdynamic or Audio Technica model would be more sufficient. I dont know what model would have the edge in highs and energic sound, but wouldnt be harsh for more sensitive ears? Beyerdynamic DT531 was one, but that is discontinued and EXTREMELY hard to find nowadays, IIRC. But it might be worth to check out, you never know what headphone shops near you carry.

Nov 28, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #21 of 32
Iced - I have heard all the cans that you've listed.

I would recommend the Alessandro MS-1. Free shipping worldwide, and the best value of the bunch. They are easily driven and can use a mini-jack, so you won't need an amp or adapter anytime soon... just give them enough time to break in and you're set. Don't worry about buying extra pads - the stock comfy pads are just fine after about 20 minutes of warm-up each session. Also, they are a bit more portable than the other cans you've mentioned.

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a ldm+ and I know that its impossible to drive the hd580s for 100% with it. But if I buy a hd580 and use ldm+ for a period of time, how effective can it be until I upgrade to a better amp?

Very effective. The HD580's mainly want voltage. It's only the battery-powered amps that may suffer with the Senn's, and then only the ones that don't use 2x9V batteries.

Look - you want a Sennheiser HD580, the price is the best it will ever be (they'll just stop making it when if it goes much lower), and the build quality is simply Mercedes-like superb. You've plenty of time to play around with other phones like Grado's - which will never drop in price anyway. Or, as you and Kramer noted, you can spend your time upgrading the 580's to a 600 level.

Stop listening to all this Grado Fanboy stuff and pull the trigger on one of the finest pair of headphones ever made.
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #23 of 32
HD580 is one of finest headphones ever made. It just doesnt give enough justice to music he listens. Why own Mercedes when Lada serves his needs better!!!
biggrin.gif
No Grado fanboyism here, a METAL fanboyism. Im perfectionist, borderline elitist actually.

And i dont have any problems with Grado build quality. (except cable is ugly) Who throws their headphones around carelessly anyway?

Nov 28, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #24 of 32
Iced,

You can split the difference between the Senn and Grado with a modded set of cans like these:

Those are modded SR125s and for about the price of 225s would make an excellent metal can. Click the image for a link to the for sale thread.

Best of luck, there really isn't a bad choice to be made but the Senns will require proper amplification to sound their best.

Nate

Nov 28, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #25 of 32
I listened to MS-1s and HD595s head to head, and for most of the music I listen to (Prog stuff like Procupine Tree, Opeth, Muse. Jazz-Pop stuff like John Mayer) the MS-1s won hands down. The HD595s were more comfortable for listening-at-length and perhaps a bit more detailed, but the MS-1s were so much more forward and fun. The HD595s simply bored me.

You'll often get complaints that Grado cans are uncomfortable. I never understand where this is coming from, and I have a big head. All you do is simply bend out the head band (like Grado TELLS you to) to the point where there is very little clamp.

Nov 28, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #26 of 32
These modded Sr-125 looks good but looks a little bit pricey and I need to pay extra shipping cost to Europe.

I was looking for aggressive amps to be used with hd580 and found one. Its around 150$. It looks like I am going to spend much more money if I go from the route of hd580. I feeling inside me is saying that I should buy hd580 and an amp. There is a problem with the power supply of the amp so my mind is totally messed up
blink.gif

Maybe buying a MS1 or sr-80 simply will be better. I read some mixed opinions about Grado/Alessandro phones and ldm+. I don't know which one will be better for little dot micro+

Nov 28, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #27 of 32
ATM listening Van Halen - Eruption. Not metal, but a showoff of excellent guitar handling. Perfect test track for testing how vibrant and realistic guitars and occasional cymbal clashes.

With my SR225 its perfect and airy, almost live. With HD595 there is like a hole somewhere in frequency response. Cymbals and overdriven guitar distortion are unrealistically soft and veiled.

Nov 28, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Maybe buying a MS1 or sr-80 simply will be better. I read some mixed opinions about Grado/Alessandro phones and ldm+. I don't know which one will be better for little dot micro+

ldm+ is bit brighter-side amplifier, no? This is atleast what i remember. Confirmation needed.

In that case, Alessandro. They are less aggressive than normal Grados, and can perhaps sound quite excellent with bit brighter amplifier, dunno, depends on taste. But bright source + pure-bred Grado = Very VERY bad idea.

Nov 28, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #29 of 32
Ldm+ actually gives a non colorised sound. I can't say its bright. It shapes the highs more but not making the sound any brighter.

Mids of sr-80 and ms1 is similar I assume and the highs of ms1 is less harsh, more smooth. What about the low frequencies? Are they also similar like the mids?

Nov 28, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #30 of 32
Now you asked a difficult one. Different pads play a large role in Grados/Alessandros sound, and SR80 comes with bowl pad and MS1 comes with comfy pad. Even mids are affected, so they arent exactly similar. Somebody that has both has to give exact details in differences, as i dont own MS1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back