Can't decide between full size or in ear? Help appreciated.
Dec 30, 2011 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DaGrandMastah

New Head-Fier
Ok, so let me start by introducing myself to the forums.  I wish I had known about this place before I started searching as it seems like this would have helped me a lot in my search.

I should start by saying that I tend to listen to a lot of Hip-Hop music but I am not a huge audiophile.  I don't tend to catch the intricate highs and lows like some of my more "audio tuned friends" seem to be but I can tell when one item sounds better than the other if the differences are vast (cheap earplugs vs a semi decent pair of earplugs).  

That being said,  I purchased the Soul by Ludacris $200 headphones and while I like the sound a lot....I find them to be entirely too large and was looking for something a little smaller so I've returned them and decided to do more research.  I've always used earplugs in the past but I find that they always break and I end up having to replace them.

I've looked at headphones from the $300 range to the $100 range and lower.  Certain headphones I've immediately removed from consideration regardless of reviews due to the sheer length of the cord (ex.  Acoustic Tecnica ATH-M50).  I find the $300 dre's to have very good sound but the build quality is pretty terrible.  

Right now I've narrowed it down to either the Bose AE2 headphones or the Klipsch Image S4 earplugs.  I'm completely open to suggestions and I indeed welcome any feedback on either product.  I like the Bose because they sound very good (from what I got out of listening at the store) and they are a fairly compact and lightweight pair of around the ear headphones (they were EXTREMELY comfortable).  I'm looking at the Klipsch as a high quality alternative to the Bose headphones.  My main worry with these is how likely they are to break (it seems like I can't get more than a year out of a pair of earplugs before one of the earplugs sound goes out).

Like I said, I'm open to suggestion and would appreciate any recommendations.  If there are better alternatives with a similar design to the Bose headphones then please let me know.  I know there are many audiophiles that find the Bose headphones overpriced but right now that's what I'm leaning towards based on my first impressions at the store.

Edit - Forgot to mention that sound leakage is a concern as I'd rather not have people knowing exactly what I'm listening to at any given point.  Lol...some of these hip hop lyrics can get pretty raw sometimes.  :)

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 8
Which is more important, size or sound. Based on what you stated above and the price range, the Denon D2000 might be an option but they are on the bigger side.

It is a shame it is so hard to audition good headphones. I suspect that you would not like the Soul or Bose if you could hear the other brands.

Cord length is something I just live with. You could get your cans rewired.

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 8
Not to promote my own headphones, but why not the V6s? Now, the chord is it's weakpoint (for you. I actually love the chord.), but the sound is better than Beats and Bose by FAR. The build quality is TANK-like, actually, one of the main renowned points on the V6s are it's durability, theres stories of people having them for 15,16, 17, hell, even 20 years! Also, they're quite comfortable, and have changeable pads to suit your needs. Isolation is quite good on this too! They also fold into a very neat and compact package for when they need to be tossed into a bag.

Take a look at em!

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 8

I guess it's a combination of both.  I don't need the absolute greatest sounding headphones ever...and at a comparable price I would sacrifice sound (as long as the differences aren't drastic) for size and comfort.

The Bose seem to be the perfect headphone in terms of both size and comfort and, based on my limited time, they had nice sound. I did try out the Denon 1100 and I was not impressed at all.  I actually liked the Bose AE2's more.  

I'm not dead set on buying the Bose headphones though but I'm trying to find the best possible headphones for that size/portability.

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 8

Those AE2's are slightly bigger than the MDR-V6s, and DEFINETELY not more durable. What kind of sound signature do you prefer?

Also, how much are you getting those AE2s for? The V6s can be had for 75 bucks EASILY, some people even claim to have gotten them for 60. I got them for 115 cause I got mine off Amazon MSRP because I trust Amazon shipping most xD Also, the V6s are VERY comfortable stock, and can be upgraded with many different velour pads for you comfort needs.
Quote:

I guess it's a combination of both.  I don't need the absolute greatest sounding headphones ever...and at a comparable price I would sacrifice sound (as long as the differences aren't drastic) for size and comfort.

The Bose seem to be the perfect headphone in terms of both size and comfort and, based on my limited time, they had nice sound. I did try out the Denon 1100 and I was not impressed at all.  I actually liked the Bose AE2's more.  

I'm not dead set on buying the Bose headphones though but I'm trying to find the best possible headphones for that size/portability.

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 8
I have a friend who also recommended these (The sony's) but the cord is a deal breaker for me.  Isn't the cord on these extremely long?

I actually just came across 2 headphones that might be perfect and I know these 2 are much better liked within the audio community.  They seem to fit my needs.  

One is the Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii and the other is the Beyerdynamic DT 1350.  Looks like I need to do some research on these 2.  Anyone have any thoughts on them?

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #8 of 8
The chord is a coiled chord. It wont get caught anything and rip out, it's actually VERY useful. If you NEED a short chord (which is incredibly impractical you'll notice one day.), then I guess these arent for you.

The DT1350s I have no comment on.

The HD 25-1 ii's are praised around this community a LOT and I tried them at long and mcquade awhile ago. They sound really nice, and dont feel flimsy at all! Not the comfiest, but a nice pair of phones overall! I would advocate this choice too.
Quote:
I have a friend who also recommended these (The sony's) but the cord is a deal breaker for me.  Isn't the cord on these extremely long?

I actually just came across 2 headphones that might be perfect and I know these 2 are much better liked within the audio community.  They seem to fit my needs.  

One is the Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii and the other is the Beyerdynamic DT 1350.  Looks like I need to do some research on these 2.  Anyone have any thoughts on them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back