Can't decide between DAC or better source...
Mar 27, 2009 at 10:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Davros

New Head-Fier
I have a Sony CE-595, which I love with my small SACD collection. But I want to do better with redbook. I also want to get a different amp, replacing my Corda HA-1 MkII with a tube amp like the Meixing MC84-C07.

Buying an amp would limit my money for a source upgrade, so I've been looking at inexpensive DACs like the Valab. I was just wondering if the CE-595+Valab+Meixing combo would be a big improvement for redbook, or if I should just concentrate on finding a better SACD player first, such as hunting down a Marantz SA8001? Thanks for any advice you can give!

P.S. My headphones are DT880, SR225, and Darths.

Mar 27, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 8
FWIW, I have a Marantz SA 8260 which I personally think sounds very nice for Redbook and SACDs. Those can be acquired used for around $300. I haven't heard the SA8001 but I would strongly consider one if I wanted a stand alone source.

Mine is out of my "main" system in favor of a DAC but it is not because I didn't or don't like the sound - it is because I prefer the facility of using a computer as source. I have a bunch of CDs and storing/organizing/swapping them out was becoming a pain.

As to sound quality DACs are simpler devices in the sense that they don't have the moving parts of a transport so dollar for dollar you (probably) get better sound quality or at least more options for reproduction at the same price.

Mar 27, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 8
I just reread the OP and it is evident that the coffee hasn't kicked in, yet.

If I were you I would probably upgrade the amp and look for a used CD player or maybe a DAC if you are ready to mess around with using a computer source.

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 8
As far as a computer setup, I already have a Macbook and Apogee Duet, so I'm happy with that. The CE-595 is in another room, and I just wanted to spice up the setup there. Since I'm coming from SS with the Corda amp, would a tube amp be big enough sonic difference for now?

All I know is, reading about DAC recommendations makes my head spin!

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 8
Get an old dac cheap hook it up to your transport and new tube amp and be amazed!
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #6 of 8
First off, if you are thinking about an SA8001 I'll second the SA8260 recommendation above. I've heard both and would personally save a few bucks and pick up the 8260. Both are outstanding and would be a nice upgrade from your sony.

Now, with that said, I say forget the source upgrade for the moment and put the bulk of your funds into a good tube amp. Your DT880's and SR225's absolutely love tubes, and in my opinion, there really isn't any other way to go. For the record, I haven't heard a pair of Darth's and am a self-proclaimed tube head.

I'll recommend picking up an older California Audio Labs Gamma DAC. The CAL is rather inexpensive, solid state, and in my opinion, would pair very well with a decent tube amp.

Mar 27, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 8
Dac would be my suggestion. The 595's SACD output is pretty decent, still a bit squashed in soundstage and depth, but it can sound authoritative and give very good presence and immediacy to music. The CD output will definitely sound better if you can get a decent dac and use the optical out of the CDP. I have had good experience using the Cambridge Dacmagic with the CE-595, it really brought the bass alive and added some width to the presentation. On a side note, the same albums on Vinyl still sound better :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back