Can't Decide ----- Best IEM under 160$
Jul 8, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #32 of 37
Mine are a loaner from Joker, so they are fully burned-in. Neither the SE215 nor the Realvoice are among the very best sounding at their price ranges imo, but still very good nevertheless. The former at least has other stuff to give in the superb build, isolation and comfort while the Spiders have aren't as user friendly. Synergy is king though and for some either one of these products can hit the sweetspot for the user enabling great satisfaction like you seem to experience.

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #33 of 37
HF5 or a used ER-4

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #35 of 37
To the OP Zeefier good luck on the GR07 and HAPPY LISTENING! I think you will be quite happy with your choice.

For Inks and cliffroyroycole I currently own the SE215 and the Spider Realvoice (just recieved the new tips, size medium large for the Spiders this monring thanks to the Canadian Postal Strike and the backlog of mail it caused). I think they are both very nice nice $70-100 price range IEM's that are pretty comparable sound wise with slightly different emphasis which people need to decide they want.

SE215 has a deep bass that is slightly mid-bass centric but not much, it has OK sub bass and is very nicely controlled (at the expense of texture and detail to a small degree). The mids are super smooth and the centerpiece of the SE215 sound. They are not the most detailed sound but convey a great musicality and are mostly neutral (not to warm or to dry). The treble is clean and not bad (after an extended burnin), they never go really high in extension and detail and are NEVER tiring or sibilant.

The Realvoice has a more rumbly bass that is more mid bass centric but is also a bit more detailed and textured (at the cost of some control). The mids are super smooth and are also the center piece of the realvoice sound. I do find the mids to be on the warm side though which is good and bad depending on genres and genders singing. The treble is a bit more extended but not by much and there seems to be a bit of a spike in the lower treble (I assume this is where the cymbal crash would lie sonically, if not then thats the sound I am really talking about) that makes cymbal crashes come across a little to strong for my tastes over-riding the decay a bit and causing just a bit of fatigue for me.

Both have a decent sized sound stage but I think the SE215 has a smidge better instrument separation while the Realvoice has a smidge less veil from added detail.

Build wise the SE215 is designed to be extremely isolating which makes it a challenge for insertion and removal as compared to the Realvoice but much more isolating and secure in ear. The Realvoice on the other hand is extremely easy to put in and take out and is better for on the go.

The other difference is the Realvoice is $89 and that includes the iPhone mic and controls whereas to get those features in the SE215 you have to pay $150 MSRP for that added functionality. But on the plus side the SE215 does have the replaceable cable and the iPhone cable does not have the memory wire and is consequently much easier to get in ear but almost as secure as the memory wire cable. Also I do find the iphone cable on the SE215 conveys a bit more treble than the stock cable (I suspect this is because the cable used for the iPhone is actually the SE535 cable which is also why it's alot more expensive than the regular cable).

Anyway I think they are both great IEM's for the price and depending on your needs or sonic preferences are great mid centric choices for anyone in that price range.

BUT if someone has the budget for the GR07 and can live without the iphone functionality I do think the GR07 is better than both the SE215 and the Realvoice by a large enough margin to jusify the extra expense and I mean that both build quality wise, ease of use wise, and most importantly sonic wise. The only areas people might be happeir with the SE215 or the Realvoice would be if they really want a mid centric (more forward mids) IEM, heavier sounding (less detail and texture but more volume) bass, or prefer a rolled off treble (while the Realvoice has a spike in the cymbal crash range compared to the SE215, they are both more oriented towards the crash of cymbals compared to the GR07 which has much more extension and some would say a spike in the upper treble that the sizzle of a cymabl lies). Personally I want to hear the the crash but not at the expense of the decay of the cymbal. I also find on songs that have subdued cymbals the SE215 and Realvoice both become generic sounding whereas I can actually here differences sonically between the types of cymbals with the GR07.

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #36 of 37
Comfort is subjective to some extent, to me the Spiders are easy to insert and take out, but aren't that comfortable. I am not going to be alone on this though as the housing is quite big and not streamlined enough for that flush comfort, but it is light weight and meant to be a shallow inserted IEM (though that makes the isolation average). Usually tapered and smaller IEMs are generally more comfortable (Example: Xcape v1). MC3/5 are horrible fwir from users that I trust, the "best" imo in the <100$ are: C3, HJE900,Xcape v1, [you can almost rule these out as they are discontinued], RE-Zero, RE0, FA Silver Bullet and the Coppers and Golds can be attained at this price range if you have some patience while the FXT90s are close enough to scare a lot of the competition. 
Agree, only thing I can't understand is how any IEM could be more comfortable than the realvoice, and I have owned a wide range, including a Shure IEM. When I have the Spiders in, they are pure comfort. Can't imagine better, and haven't run into it yet. So in the $89 price range, what is better than the SE215 or realvoice? Are we talking RE0? Ety MC3/5? If so, it's apples and oranges, and a preference/synergy thing, as you say.

dveaver's comparison is spot on. The GR07s is above these two but not better at every aspect though, the GR07s can also sound very bland because it's tuned to be a monitor. 

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #37 of 37
Comfort is definitely a very personal matter, for me the Real Voice is deep insertion and very comfortable -- I've only had two IEMs which were more comfortable and they are the klipsch X10 and the Vmoda Vibe 1. I can't imagine it being shallow insertion; the size and shape of it would cause it to fall out for sure, but again I guess it really depends on your ear.

As for build, I've seen reports of the SE215 break within a couple of months. Here's one such:
http://www.headphiles.org/index.php/topic,2931.0.html

So I don't know if I would really say the SE215 has better build quality. Historically Shure has lousy build quality, my old Shure e2c broke quite easily and I knew someone who had a Shure SRH750 DJ and its headband actually broke, the way people tend to describe the Beats headbands to break (incidentally, I've never seen a broken Beats headphone, but I don't live in the US where this seems to be a commonplace occurence).

The real voice units we have here so far don't seem to be breaking but I honestly don't have much confidence in the wiring which looks even frailer than the Turbine Vanilla's, and those broke on me a lot.

As for the sound, well I still like the Real Voice better. I have compared it to the GR07 but at this point I would say it depends on what you are looking for as well, the GR07 has a very dry sound and is more focused on clarity and is quite lean all around. The Real Voice is more of a liquid mids thing and doesn't skimp on the bass, and goes for a euphonic sound. It's an apples vs. oranges thing as one is more for the analytical and the other for the euphonic.  I would say though that the GR07 is clearly better than the DBA-02 even if it's a dynamic and the other a dual BA. And for the euphonic kind of sound the Real Voice is really the best I've had, even better than the Turbine Pro Gold which I used to think was the best-sounding euphonic IEM (edges out the SM2 which I think may be the next in line).  I don't consider either the DBA-02 or or the GR07 to be the best at being analytical, though.

This is not counting custom territory mind you, and I still haven't heard some of the top tier stuff like the W4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back