Can't deal with the Clip/Fuze's interface
Jan 7, 2009 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ChroniCali

1000+ Head-Fier
I just got a Clip for my sister and she loves it. I was trying it out and I love the sound, but I just hate the interface.

It is just like the Ipod interface with Artist, Genre, Song etc....
I like just the regular file names, with the "Artist - Song."
Is there any way to get it to do that on the Clip or Fuze, because I really want to get a Fuze for myself but this is the ONLY thing that is holding me back.

I'm really on the walls between the Fuze and the I7. I really can't pick the Fuze if I can't get the right formatting on the songs, it's just too hard for me to navigate that way.
I know I could probably use Rockbox to fix that in the future, but I'm not sure if I can wait that long!

Also, I'll be using them with either Atrios M5, X10, or SA6... Any suggestions?

Thanks
o2smile.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 20
I agree. I prefer the folder view much better so I can name all my folders according to artist/album/track instead of going by ID tags (whats essentially already setup on my harddrive). But I'm not sure if Fuze supports this, I'll have to wait and find out when my Fuze arrives!

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 20
If you have your ID tags set up correctly, then it's fine.

I go to Music > Artists > Album > Then choose the song.

I am extremely meticulous about proper tags so every player works the same for me.

It would be a shame to rule out a great player just because your music isn't tagged properly.

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 20
I'm the same way with tagging, everything has to be perfect.

Incidentally, rockbox for the clip isnt far away. People are already running it even if its not officially out, dunno about sound etc yet

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am extremely meticulous about proper tags so every player works the same for me.

It would be a shame to rule out a great player just because your music isn't tagged properly.

Ya I understand you, but you see, I never have full albums, only a few songs per album (the good ones). Each album will only have a few good songs (I'm a producer, that's how they market things) so I only keep the good ones with me. So therefore, my songs are all tagged correctly, but it's just hard for me to work with it this way since this is how I have my music.
frown.gif

Can Sony S600 players go without ID tags the way I want it?

Jan 11, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya I understand you, but you see, I never have full albums, only a few songs per album (the good ones).

Well, you could get foobar2000 and write into your title-tag something like "Artist - Title" (actually you can write anything you want into it). Then you would just use Music -> Titles on the Clip and it would alphabetically list
Artist 1 - Title 1
Artist 2 - Title 2

Edit: It would be pretty easy to let foobar write the filenames into the title-tags. That would actually be the same as looking at the filestructure (as long as you don't want to use directories?).

Regards,
Jonas

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

yep, they have "normal" folder view and play... I'm using it this way (actually it's a A818 but the interface is pretty much the same)

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Ya I understand you, but you see, I never have full albums, only a few songs per album (the good ones). Each album will only have a few good songs (I'm a producer, that's how they market things) so I only keep the good ones with me. So therefore, my songs are all tagged correctly, but it's just hard for me to work with it this way since this is how I have my music.
frown.gif

I have a solution: Listen to better artists
biggrin.gif

Just kidding. Maybe.

Jan 12, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a solution: Listen to better artists
biggrin.gif

Just kidding. Maybe.

I was thinking that too, I have no problem finding albums filled to the brim with good songs. But I suppose that answer doesn't address the immediate problem.

For that, I would also suggest editing the ID3 tags to mimic the structure you want.

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I bought at clip, but there was no folder view, so I returned it. I find my screenless T100 more useful than it. I'm not gonna bother screwing around with the id tags of over 10k songs just so that I can view and find them properly on my MP3 player. Folder structure + Drag and drop > screwing around with id tags + not even being able to transfer files cause the software is not even compatible with my OS.

Imo an MP3 player with a screen that does not have folder view = fail.

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #12 of 20
If you don't want to deal with tagging, Foobar and a few other programs can do an 'automatic' tag. If all the folders are in the same principle and the files have recognizable names for foobar, it will automatically tag all your files correctly. Takes a little bit of getting used to, but once you get it, it works well.

Also, Sansa's do not need any software for tags to work. They, like Archos devices by the way, construct their own library. So does any Rockboxed device that has library support.

Lastly, I think tags are vastly superior to folder based browsing, but that's my opinion. I have a few large multiple artist albums and with folders, it would be inaccessible to me. With tags, however, I can easily find the correct artist to listen to.

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

frown.gif

wow!!! you must work for some crap record companies jk. I listen to majority albums all the way through and I find no trouble continuing to find albums like that. maybe pop music is made like that; but certainly not quality music. in fact I'm so happy with all the music I have, I can press random album play and listen the whole day without finding a track I dont feel like listening to. sure maybe thats the way music is headed in the mainstream, and thats a bad thing. lucky I dont like pop hey.

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by AboveBeyond /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. I prefer the folder view much better so I can name all my folders according to artist/album/track instead of going by ID tags (whats essentially already setup on my harddrive). But I'm not sure if Fuze supports this, I'll have to wait and find out when my Fuze arrives!

This is the biggest problem with these players. I hope hey will include this feature in the future firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back