Cant control volume from keyboard - USB DAC Schiit Modi 2
Apr 29, 2017 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Rknrolls

New Head-Fier
Hi guys - this one is driving me nuts. I cannot control the volume of my Schiit Modi 2 DAC going into JBL 305s from the keyboard volume controls on my iMac running OSX Sierra. Please see the screenshot attached.

Anyone managed to fix this? I have already tried to reset the NVRAM, no luck. There are posts on multiple sites claiming that OS X Sierra has fixed this but doesnt seem to work for me!

1) Anyone used the Audio MIDI setup to fix this? If so, what do I need to do exactly pls? "aggregate"?
2) Soundflower - Is it worth trying this one?

USB DAC.png

Looks like it worked for someone else - see link + screenshot - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cant-adjust-volume-for-usb-dac-or-displayport-speakers.1924200/

Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 21.02.48.png

Apr 29, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 11
I could be very wrong here, but the Modi/Modi2 has no volume controls at all. It's a DAC without a built in amp. Your speakers are powered, and should have volume controls of their own, but the DAC itself won't have any.

Apr 30, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 11
I could be very wrong here, but the Modi/Modi2 has no volume controls at all. It's a DAC without a built in amp. Your speakers are powered, and should have volume controls of their own, but the DAC itself won't have any.

You are right about the Modi 2 (I've got the Uber) not having volume controls. They sell the Magni 2 amp as a stack with it which does have a little volume knob. My JBL 305s do have volume knobs, but they are at the back! and I dont want to control the volume of each speaker individually.

I dont really need an amp as I dont use headphones on my desktop......hence the question! I just want to use this setup: iMac --> USB cable --> Modi 2 Uber --> RCA (L, R) --> JBL 305s

And control my volume from the iMac's native volume up / down keyboard shortcuts.

I have tried resetting both the NVRAM and SMC, no joy :frowning2:

Apr 30, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 11
You are right about the Modi 2 (I've got the Uber) not having volume controls. They sell the Magni 2 amp as a stack with it which does have a little volume knob. My JBL 305s do have volume knobs, but they are at the back! and I dont want to control the volume of each speaker individually.

I dont really need an amp as I dont use headphones on my desktop......hence the question! I just want to use this setup: iMac --> USB cable --> Modi 2 Uber --> RCA (L, R) --> JBL 305s

And control my volume from the iMac's native volume up / down keyboard shortcuts.

I have tried resetting both the NVRAM and SMC, no joy :frowning2:

Modi drivers probably lock out OS volume controls so you don't alter the digital signal (apart from EQ apps) unitl it gets to the Modi.

You can use the Schiit Sys. It's $50 and is a passive preamp unit, so it can't color the sound output of the Modi, but gives you a convenient volume knob.

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #5 of 11
Modi drivers probably lock out OS volume controls so you don't alter the digital signal (apart from EQ apps) unitl it gets to the Modi.

You can use the Schiit Sys. It's $50 and is a passive preamp unit, so it can't color the sound output of the Modi, but gives you a convenient volume knob.

Thanks. I was actually thinking of getting the Fulla 2. I know its a DAC/Amp combo however can you please advice if this setup would work:

iMac --> Usb cable --> Modi 2 Uber --> RCA L & R cables into Analog input of Fulla 2 --> Pre-out of Fulla 2 --> 1/8th to RCA L & R cables --> JBL 305s?

Will I be using the DAC of the Modi 2 Uber OR the Fulla?

I just want to use the DAC of the Modi (as from what I have read, its better). I just want to use the Fulla 2 as a volume control / potentiometer....but doing the above, am I letting the signal pass through TWO DACs? This is definitely silly I know :)

The perfect solution could be the Emotiva Control Freak but I am based in London and it will be pain to get this. Oh and I prefer the Fulla 2 over the Sys as the volume control thing is bigger i.e. more convenient!

Thoughts? :)

May 1, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 11
Thanks. I was actually thinking of getting the Fulla 2. I know its a DAC/Amp combo however can you please advice if this setup would work:

iMac --> Usb cable --> Modi 2 Uber --> RCA L & R cables into Analog input of Fulla 2 --> Pre-out of Fulla 2 --> 1/8th to RCA L & R cables --> JBL 305s?

Will I be using the DAC of the Modi 2 Uber OR the Fulla?

I just want to use the DAC of the Modi (as from what I have read, its better). I just want to use the Fulla 2 as a volume control / potentiometer....but doing the above, am I letting the signal pass through TWO DACs? This is definitely silly I know :)

The perfect solution could be the Emotiva Control Freak but I am based in London and it will be pain to get this. Oh and I prefer the Fulla 2 over the Sys as the volume control thing is bigger i.e. more convenient!

Thoughts? :)

It will work but if you'll be using the Modi's DAC anyway and not even use the headphone output of the Fulla2 then why not just use the Sys? You're overcomplicating everything. On top of all that, the Fulla2 might need a USB connection to power it, even with just the preamp output.

May 3, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 11
It will work but if you'll be using the Modi's DAC anyway and not even use the headphone output of the Fulla2 then why not just use the Sys? You're overcomplicating everything. On top of all that, the Fulla2 might need a USB connection to power it, even with just the preamp output.

Hi - sorry about the delay in replying. I prefer the size of the Fulla 2 over the Sys i.e. its smaller all in all and has a bigger volume control part. I dont mind the USB connection to the power, I am going to stick it on my desktop anyway so happy to have a dedicated power supply.

Has anyone managed to fix the controlling volume via the keyboard issue for Modi 2 Ubers?

May 3, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #9 of 11
I would think if it doesn't work it won't ever. Schiit makes things that work the way that they say will work. If you read Jason's blog/book here you will understand. They don't do software or anything other than making their stuff work when hooked up. They do drivers for PC's for their dac's and that is it. They are not into having a costumer support team to fix Windows or any other OS problems that is how they keep their prices down. As you are running a Mac same thing. Sorry to say but your going to have to control the volume from the Player software or a preamp . I'm using a Mac for my Yggdrasil and same thing.

May 4, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #10 of 11
I prefer the size of the Fulla 2 over the Sys i.e. its smaller all in all and has a bigger volume control part. I dont mind the USB connection to the power, I am going to stick it on my desktop anyway so happy to have a dedicated power supply.

Plus the additional $50. In any case, then yeah, it'll work. But try it first without the power connection in case the preamp is passive.

May 8, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #11 of 11
... coming in a year later here. Was having the same problem and it looks like this is a macOS decision, not a Schiit decision.

Internal volume control works fine with the Modi 2 Uber from my Lenovo laptop running Ubuntu. I'm able to use the built in volume control keys, as well as an external usb volume control nob to change stream volume heading to the Modi. Apple's keeping things closed up on purpose.

That said, if anyone has found a driver hack or something that'll bring this feature to MacOS, it would be bomb to know about it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back