Cans with better soundstage than ATH-A900x
Nov 2, 2016 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

JCRG

100+ Head-Fier
I've had these cans for quite a few years for now, and they are one of the best I've had, because they fit what an ideal pair of headphones are for me: Closed, relatively flat response, and great soundstage that even proves to be competitive in FPS/general gaming.

But i've been thinking of making an upgrade from them, I've been lurking around, and I haven't found anything as reliable, either they have design issues/are uncomfortable, don't really isolate that much (AKG 550), are bassy (Beyerdynamics) or harsh, cheap/fragile (Shures), or aren't that much available (Denons); in the past I saw the Mad/Alpha Dogs as possible contenders, almost bought them, but Mr Speakers ceased making them, and now makes some cans, which are quite possible sublime, but for an amount of money which i'd rather use to buy a used car.

Budget is about 150-250 USD (maybe even 300, depending on reviews/experiences), and I will be driving them with my Fiio E07k (excellent DAC ime).

What does Hi-Fi suggests?

Regards.

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #2 of 15
  I've had these cans for quite a few years for now, and they are one of the best I've had, because they fit what an ideal pair of headphones are for me: Closed, relatively flat response, and great soundstage that even proves to be competitive in FPS/general gaming.

But i've been thinking of making an upgrade from them, I've been lurking around, and I haven't found anything as reliable, either they have design issues/are uncomfortable, don't really isolate that much (AKG 550), are bassy (Beyerdynamics) or harsh, cheap/fragile (Shures), or aren't that much available (Denons); in the past I saw the Mad/Alpha Dogs as possible contenders, almost bought them, but Mr Speakers ceased making them, and now makes some cans, which are quite possible sublime, but for an amount of money which i'd rather use to buy a used car.

Budget is about 150-250 USD (maybe even 300, depending on reviews/experiences), and I will be driving them with my Fiio E07k (excellent DAC ime).

Regards.

I think the K550s are pretty good at blocking the sound around you as well as hardly leaking any sound. But then that is only if they fit you well. Many people seem to have fit issues with the K550s. Mine mine fit me fine, hardly leak any sound and do a better job at blocking sound out from around me than several other closed back headphones I have tried. Obviously they don't block sound like ones that are specially designed to like a lot of Bose headphones are. The problem with them is that from the ones that I have heard, the soundstage is simply awful compared to the K550 and they sound really muddy and bass heavy. But as the only decent closed back headphones I have listen to a lot of  are the K550s, I can't really make many suggestions.

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 15
My recommendation is the brainwavz hm5. I own the k551 and I can tell you from first hand experience as an akg fanboy that I really do not like them that much. It doesn't isolate much, lacks mid bass (I'm not a bass head, I use a Q701 for reference), the headband isn't comfortable, and the soundstage is pretty good for a closed back but not that impressive unfortunately. The brainwavz hm5 is just a rebrand of the more expensive Fischer audio headphones and is much more comfortable. It has a larger soundstage, much more neutral sound, doesn't lack mid bass, and isolates a little bit more.

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 15
  I've had these cans for quite a few years for now, and they are one of the best I've had, because they fit what an ideal pair of headphones are for me: Closed, relatively flat response, and great sound stage that even proves to be competitive in FPS/general gaming.

There was a time my ATH-A900X were my preferred headphone for use with my computer :)
Not sure it will be easy to find better sound stage then what the ATH-A900X has.

As the FiiO E07K is a USB DAC/amp, we can assume you have been FPS gaming in stereo audio?
Are you using a desktop or laptop PC?
If you have a desktop PC, maybe replace the E07K with a Creative Labs Sound blaster Z sound card?
If laptop, replace the EO7K with a Schiit Fulla?

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 15
My recommendation is the brainwavz hm5. I own the k551 and I can tell you from first hand experience as an akg fanboy that I really do not like them that much. It doesn't isolate much, lacks mid bass (I'm not a bass head, I use a Q701 for reference), the headband isn't comfortable, and the soundstage is pretty good for a closed back but not that impressive unfortunately. The brainwavz hm5 is just a rebrand of the more expensive Fischer audio headphones and is much more comfortable. It has a larger soundstage, much more neutral sound, doesn't lack mid bass, and isolates a little bit more.

The Fischer Audio were another which I also bought, but ended up with the ATHs (for snobby reasons), but i'll look into the rebranded ones!

Quote:
  There was a time my ATH-A900X were my preferred headphone for use with my computer :)
Not sure it will be easy to find better sound stage then what the ATH-A900X has.

As the FiiO E07K is a USB DAC/amp, we can assume you have been FPS gaming in stereo audio?
Are you using a desktop or laptop PC?
If you have a desktop PC, maybe replace the E07K with a Creative Labs Sound blaster Z sound card?
If laptop, replace the EO7K with a Schiit Fulla?

I might get a dedicated soundcard later on, for now i'm really happy with my Fiio, i've really used a lot tho!, hopefully it will still last a lot, thanks again!

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 15
How many of you headfiers have tried the NVX Audio XPT100?
http://www.head-fi.org/products/nvx-audio-xpt100-studio-over-ear-headphones-w-comfortmax-earpad-cushions-and-extra-pair-of-angled-earpads

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 15
  How many of you headfiers have tried the NVX Audio XPT100?
http://www.head-fi.org/products/nvx-audio-xpt100-studio-over-ear-headphones-w-comfortmax-earpad-cushions-and-extra-pair-of-angled-earpads

I own those headphones, sold under the name Brainwavz BM5, did not like them much.
Clamped a little too much and not much bass,
but other wise sound quality was good.

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 15

I own those headphones, sold under the name Brainwavz BM5, did not like them much.

I am not precisely a bass head, so what I would ask is if the bass is enough?
I find the ATH-a900x bass more than enough atm.

Nov 3, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 15

I think the clamping force isn't that bad, especially with the super soft earpads. It has less clamp than the hd600 which is probably one of the most uncomfortable headphones next to the k551 I own. It really does not lack bass at all, it is pretty neutral. I've fallen asleep with them for 8 hours without any discomfort, just slightly hot ears

But the sound is probably a bit different as I have heard many people say the cheaper rebrands do not have the same sound as the hm5/fischer audio

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #11 of 15
It has a bit more bass than my akg q701s which is pretty neutral to me (except with sub bass roll off). Definitely enough for your needs and from where you are coming from

What worries me is that I've read they might be fatiguing at times, and might suffer from muddy bass, but I guess you can't get better at such price.

Nov 4, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #14 of 15
What about the Soundmagic HP150? People claim they are super neutral and with huge soundstage, which is the top two things i look for.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/soundmagic-hp150-premium-full-size-folding-headphones

Nov 4, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #15 of 15
  What about the Soundmagic HP150? People claim they are super neutral and with huge soundstage, which is the top two things i look for.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/soundmagic-hp150-premium-full-size-folding-headphones

I have the Soundmagic HP200 (semi-open) and I think they are about the best value for the price :)
The HP150 (closed) headphone should have a somewhat strong bass/treble, but still good over all sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back