Cans to Replace Triple.Fi
Sep 21, 2008 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

rjgarcia

Head-Fier
Hey everyone!

I am new to the world of head-fi and purchased a set of UE Triple.Fis but, I am having some issues getting used to them being in my ears.
confused_face.gif

I am considering replacing them with some full-sized cans and looking for suggestions on what would have a similar sound.

I listen to rock primarily, but don't want to rule out any other genre, so I need an all around performer. I auditioned a set of DT-770s at a local shop and they were very comfortable, but seemed to have more bass than I was expecting and also seemed to be missing the clarity I enjoy about the Triples (noob lingo). I don't know if this is really there sound or if it was because they were brand new?

In regards to sources, I plan on getting a DAC/Amp for my PC and have access to an iPod 5G or Clip for portable use.

I hope I have provided enough information, if not please let me know!

-Robert

Sep 21, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 34
If you can live with open phones then your best bet would be Senns HD600/650. I have read somewhere on here that the Triple.fi has similar sound signature as HD650.

Portable Setup: Zen Sleek -- Cardas Mini -- Go-Vibe Petite -- Denon C751
Home Setup: Dell XPS -- MHDT Labs Paradisea+ DAC --Darkvoice THA332 Amp -- ATH W5000/Senn HD595

Sep 21, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #4 of 34
Hello,
I'm also interested. With SQ of that of trip.fi, what price do headphones normally cost?

Sep 21, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 34
Hey, if you like the flavor of Triple.fi, you should take a look at Sennheiser HD 25-1 II. They'll still offer some isolation for portable use (one of the better closed headphones for the job), despite being over-ear they are fairly comfortable (get velour pads if you want more comfort), and the sound signature is in the same direction - great deal of clarity and very easy to tell instruments apart, with good bass impact - but not excessive like DT770.

Sep 22, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 34
I was going to get the Triple Fis but i got the Ultrasone Pro 750 instead to replace my ER6i.

Sep 22, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was going to get the Triple Fis but i got the Ultrasone Pro 750 instead to replace my ER6i.

Do you enjoy the sound out of them? What sources do you use and what type of music?

Thanks!

-Robert

Sep 22, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #9 of 34
Just ordered them should arrive very soon, from what i read they also require a long burn in time. Music that i listen can vary, i might get an amp for my iPod to get better sound, but the Ultrasone Pro 750 is easier to drive.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ult...review-343241/

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #10 of 34
Ok, I have done much more reading and it seems that the sound of the DS-770s gets better after breaking them in and an amp also helps control the bass.

The HD-25 1 II seem to be a good choice from what I have read as well and don't really need an amp to sound good, but I understand the cable should be replaced.

It also seems like the ATH-A900 are a popular closed can, but haven't read up much on these.

The last possibility seems to be the M-Audio Q-40s. The price is way lower than the others, but people seem to be rather impressed with them.

If you have experience with at least 2 of these, please post your comparisons.. please..
biggrin.gif

-Robert

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 34
I prefer HD 25 over A900. On the case of DT770 and amps, and what not - to me they always sounded inanely muddy, even the Headphile woodied versions. Proline 750 is also very bassy, although the bass is much cleaner and more even - and it has a very sharp, clear sound.

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer HD 25 over A900. On the case of DT770 and amps, and what not - to me they always sounded inanely muddy, even the Headphile woodied versions. Proline 750 is also very bassy, although the bass is much cleaner and more even - and it has a very sharp, clear sound.

Ok, so the amp doesn't help make that go away..
wink.gif
Does an amp help the sound of the HD-25 at all?

-Robert

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjgarcia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so the amp doesn't help make that go away..
wink.gif
Does an amp help the sound of the HD-25 at all?

-Robert

Not really. That's in part why I recommended them - you would not feel obligated to drag an amp around when using them portably. =) If you don't mind strong sharp bass (no mud, very impactful), don't brush off Proline 750 either...

Sep 22, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #14 of 34
I have read the better part of the insanely long Proline 750 threads and it seems people either love them or hate them, doesn't make my decision much easier, it sure would be nice to have a local place to listen to some of these instead of having to order them and return them, etc....

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back