Cans to compliment 701s
May 23, 2007 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dugq

New Head-Fier
Hi,

My current set up is

PC > X Dac V3 (unmodded) > X Can V3 (modded) > AKG K701

and I'm currently looking for a pair of cans to compliment the 701s. I listen to a wide-range of music and although I find the 701s are great for acoustic music there are some areas they aren't performing, most notably rock, and, to a lesser extent, electronica. I'm currently looking for a pair of cans which do the job with rock music. The obvious choice are Grados, but I listen more to alternative rock than hard rock, and the lack of soundstage would be a problem. I've also considered some Sennheiser 650s, but I'm worried that the "veil" which many talk about would be too noticeable if I'll also be using the 701s and my portable pair are ety er4s. Having recently heard some 600s I wasn't too impressed, although they were unamped

Currently I'm thinking of some Alessandro MS-Pros, but living in the UK I can't audition them. Would they be a good plug for my indie-rock hole, and how would they sound for electronica? Can anyone recommend any alternatives in a similar price range? I am a bit of a detail-freak so the cans would need to hold their own in this respect.

Any help is much appreciated.

May 23, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 7
Since you have the X-cans. The Senns would be a decent compliment that synergizes well with that amp.

May 23, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 7
If it's bass you're missing, a Darth Beyer would compliment them well.

May 24, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 7
I started of with the 701 and was looking for a second set of cans.

I went with the HD 650 which I really like, they sound like a really good performance to me.

Then I still wasnt sure if that was the best so I bought the Grado RS1 thinking I would sell the RS1 or the HD650, which I have decided I'm not going to do.....in fact if if anything got sold it would probably be the 701, but I know I'd regret it about 24 hours after shipping them.

But if I had to pick one pair to compliment the 701 I'd have to go with the RS1 and here's why.

1. sounds great even at really low listening levels
2. extremely light and cool to wear
3. sounds really nice even without the amp
4. the RS1 is just a thing of beauty to look at.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back