Cans that look worse than Skullcandy?
Oct 7, 2009 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Ducks_own

100+ Head-Fier
I-Mego

I saw these in Wal-mart. WOW, these are unsightly. And at $20, they probably sound worse than SC as well :S

Anyone heard of/tried/owned these?

Oct 7, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 19
These earphones have crossed all lines.. lol

Oct 7, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 19
Everyone is going after a piece of the Skullcandy pie, and I can see why. First WeSC, then Earpollution, now this garbage. 'Skateboarding' headphones. Its the ultimate new fashion accessory.

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 19
Not necessarily... I've seen many movies from the 80s where highschool kids have headphones around their necks...

there's a kid in my trig class who's got these really large round sony headphones around his neck the entire time.

as a fashion accessory, headphones have been around... Now, it's the "skateboarding' thing that's new...

i find it irritating. all the kids in middle school and highschool dress in baggy hoodies with 15 different colors, wear skate shoes, and bright multi colored (zoo-york) caps.

half of which don't even own skateboards, let alone ride.
ugh. /rant.

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 19
Yeah, I don't know who concluded that a small design repeated hundreds of times over a hoodie looked good. Or the garish colour selections these days.

At least those headphones would match... Something.

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 19
I'm not going to comment on the aesthetics of these headphones. I did however find the "Street" logo on the front page of the website to be curiously familiar:

29bbrrc.jpg
swst2b.jpg

Oct 8, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 19
[size=x-small]copyright infringement?[/size]

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #8 of 19
Good eyes kjk1281. It definitely looks identicle.

I wonder how much revenue skull candies and other companies like this generate?

Seems to me that they buy cheap bulk lot earphones from china, and simple stick a tatoo on it and then call it as a fashion statement earphones. I really think the jungle series: Rabbit earphones are making the fasion statement
rolleyes.gif

I can easily picture where a four year old girl who just watched teletubbies walks into walmart with her parents and whines for them to purchase the rabbit series earphones. Again, she wants to make the fashion statement.

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #9 of 19
Good eye indeed.

As for Skullcandy's profits, I remember reading that volume-wise they are the second largest mass-market manufacturer of head- and earphones behind Sony. Certainly they aren't doing too badly in terms of raw revenue. I imagine a good amount goes into marketing and promotion of their products (though sadly not into R&D). From the few Skullcandy products I have experienced, build quality and materials leave a lot to be desired as well, so I can't imagine they're spending much on manufacturing, either. Also, they may have the most expansive retailer network in the headphone industry (at least here in the U.S. - other parts of the world are not yet as infested) - I've literally seen Skullcandy buds sold at gas stations, alongside the faux-oakley sunglasses and chinese hotwheel replicas.

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #10 of 19
One can only shake his head in disbelief.

"A cute, yet delicate and organic design. Fine acoustic designed for all music lovers."
~I-Mego

200981784224329.jpg

20098178426119.jpg

These on the other hand, at least for me, somehow resemble the AKG K1000...go figure.

200981791040557.jpg

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One can only shake his head in disbelief.

"A cute, yet delicate and organic design. Fine acoustic designed for all music lovers."
~I-Mego

200981784224329.jpg

20098178426119.jpg

These on the other hand, at least for me, somehow resemble the AKG K1000...go figure.

200981791040557.jpg

Wow those last cans look hideous. I can see it now, all the goth kids wearing these around their neck wearing their baggy jeans with like 500 keychains hanging and wearing their trenchcoats lol.

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #12 of 19
Eeep, those last ones look like someone cut an old studio mic in half, stuffed it with foam, stretched some pleather over it, and called it a headphone. This may have been acceptable in the 1970s, but today... yikes.

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #14 of 19
Holy crap, those CPs retail for $20? They look pretty identical to the cheap crap ones sold in most stores in Hong Kong and China for what amounts to $2 to $5 USD (yes I've seen very similar ones). Hell I can probably get similar ones from DealExtreme for around $4 and they'll probably look and sound the same as these I-Megos.

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #15 of 19
As ugly as the phones are, I am impressed with how the face painting of traditional chinese opera are incorporated into their Chine series headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back