Cans that go OhhOOOaHHHOOO with portable amps.
Sep 2, 2009 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dissembled

Headphoneus Supremus
What full-sized cans mesh well with portable amps? I currently own the Pico amp so I'm looking for some solid suggestions.

Here's a rundown of what I'm looking for (in order of importance)
  1. Forward mids
  2. Fairly detailed
  3. Airy
  4. Ample soundstage
  5. Adequate bass quantity
  6. Preferably open in nature
  7. Less than $400

My music mainly consists of indie and alternative artists/bands.
  1. Xiu Xiu
  2. Have a Nice Life
  3. Parenthetical Girls
  4. The Microphones
  5. Panda Bear
  6. Radiohead
  7. Arcade Fire

Basically what I'm looking for are all rounders that mesh well with portables.
My first choice would be the AD900s followed by the AKG K501. I want soundstage so I figure Grados are not for me. Any more suggestions?

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 13
You want a pair of phones that sounds good with little more than a portable amp, and the 501 is second on your list ?

I'd be redrawing that list, my friend. We can have a long thread about the pros and cons of the 501, but there are at least 30 good headphones that would be better suited to your needs, IMO, particularly when driven by a portable amp. I dont bother with anything less than a mains-powered integrated with the 601s. I also have to question whether the 501s are the best choices for your musical tastes.

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #3 of 13
Sounds like the OP is describing a Grado..
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 13
Try VTGs... probably won't be in your price range, but they're some of the least amp-dependant full-size things out there. They manage to sound good out of anything, not just mediocre like most cans that others claim are easy to drive (including Grados and other ATs).

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #5 of 13
soundstage? than you want a grado excellent and fast, it all depends on what you call soundstage, my rs1's can absolutely carry me away, make me breath hard, surprise me all the time.

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #7 of 13
dissembled: did you actually listen to a Grado and didn't like it, or you are just eliminating them from your list because of the comments you have read about them lacking soundstage? My advice would be to listen to a pair of Grados, they seem to fit perfectly with your musical tastes
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #8 of 13
I felt the Pico did a pretty good job of driving the RS-1. The bass had it's impact, and the midrange was wonderful. For some reason, the RS-1 market has depreciated... you should be able to pick a pair up for a little over $400.

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dissembled: did you actually listen to a Grado and didn't like it, or you are just eliminating them from your list because of the comments you have read about them lacking soundstage? My advice would be to listen to a pair of Grados, they seem to fit perfectly with your musical tastes
smily_headphones1.gif

No, I've never tried them out personally. I do like ample soundstage though and I've read that they have very little.

I apologize if my assertion's wrong.
atsmile.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #11 of 13
I didn't know most alternative/indie band albums had any soundstage. Most were either:

1.) recorded cheaply.
2.) processed to holy hell

I think Grado fits your bill and musical tastes perfectly.

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #12 of 13
A little stretch for your budget (unless you find it here used), but the AD2000 fits every single one of your requirements and mates wells with the Pico.

Sep 3, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #13 of 13
Just pulled the trigger on a pair of AD900s. Hopefully, it'll squelch my upgraditis for a while.
I currently own the AD700s and am drawn most by its airiness. Just wish it was a bit more fuller sounding. The AD900s were said to just be as airy and have better bass response; it fits the bill quite nicely.

Thanks for the replies. Will probably try the suggested cans if I decide the 900s are not for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back