cans that are cheaper in japan?
Jul 31, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #18 of 29
I thought you'd like it.
tongue.gif

Jul 31, 2006 at 8:56 AM Post #19 of 29
wow!! closed can, killer looks (especially in black), not too expensive, not too big.. someone also said they sound like grado sr80's with more bass? ... what more can I ask for?

Thank you Carl!!!!

Jul 31, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

wow!! closed can, killer looks (especially in black), not too expensive, not too big.. someone also said they sound like grado sr80's with more bass? ... what more can I ask for?

Thank you Carl!!!!

A portable *SR-003* headphone which rivals "high end" full-sized cans for sound quality*SR-003*

evil_smiley.gif

Jul 31, 2006 at 9:30 AM Post #21 of 29
lol, yeah but do they have mirrors?? damnnnn!!!
*ahem* Anyway, I'd like to use the cans as a portable and not get laughed at... which will happen with those stax...but with the es7, it'll look good, sound decent, won't need an amp, etc. Maybe I'll consider electrostatics in a few years...

Jul 31, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by z-iron
lol, yeah but do they have mirrors?? damnnnn!!!
*ahem* Anyway, I'd like to use the cans as a portable and not get laughed at... which will happen with those stax...but with the es7, it'll look good, sound decent, won't need an amp, etc. Maybe I'll consider electrostatics in a few years...

Sounds like a plan.

Aug 5, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #26 of 29
If you're going to Akihabara, you could try visiting DynamicAudio 5555. Not the best place to shop (prices are high), but they have a bunch of cans that you can try on and listen to.
http://www.dynamicaudio.jp/audio/5555/1f/acc_hp.html

Ishimaru Denki Honten may be another good place to test cans but may not be as good as 5555. Of course you can go to Yodobashi Akihabara, they also have some cans that you can try but it's a place to check the can's fittings and looks , not to check how they sound. If you want the best prices you'll probably have to walk around A LOT but I'm not in the area anymore so I'm not sure where you should look. Probably the best way would be to check the prices at www.kakaku.com and go to the stores.

FYI the current prices for ATH-ES7 are around 11000-15000yen with the lowest prices usually comming from online stores. Yodobashi has them for 14800yen. BTW, if you're buying at any of the non-market chain stores it might be wise to use cash since some stores (not all, and definetly none of the market chains) charge more for credit cards and most of them wont accept travelers cheques.

Other headphones under 300USD that may be rare in the US....hmm how about ATH-SX1 or SE-MONITOR 10R ? Hope you have good luck finding a can that fits your needs
eggosmile.gif

Info on STAX. You can get the SR-001MK2 for about 22000-24000yen (200-215USD) the SRS-005A (SR-003+SRM-252A) for 37000-40000yen (330-360USD) and the SRS-2050A (SR-202+SRM-252A) for 40000-44000yen (360-390USD). If you have a chance you should forget how they look and just try them out
lambda.gif

Aug 5, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #28 of 29
hmm... very nice links! Thanks! (and nice 1st post as well, bluesw)
I was planning to get the es7's from amazon.co.jp (about 12500 yen) But whats the deal with Stax? Aren't those things speakers? = sound leaks?? And the W5000 is out of my price range...

Aug 7, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by z-iron
hmm... very nice links! Thanks! (and nice 1st post as well, bluesw)
I was planning to get the es7's from amazon.co.jp (about 12500 yen) But whats the deal with Stax? Aren't those things speakers? = sound leaks?? And the W5000 is out of my price range...

I've been looking at this forum for a while but I never had the opportunity to post, so I thought this would be a good occasion. I'm glad that it helped
biggrin.gif

As for the STAX, I wrote about it since others mentioned it and it is one of the headphones that's cheaper in Japan, but I didnt notice that open headphones were a nogo. Sorry about that
redface.gif

Buying from amazon should be a good choice, but if you have the time to go to Akihabara I would recommend that you try the ES7 (and several other cans) out before buying it so you wont regret getting the wrong can.

Or would you feel brave enough to try the ATH-SX1s or the SE-MONITOR 10Rs?
wink.gif

jk, go for the one you really want. Hope you find the perfect fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back