cans picking up cell phone rings
Oct 26, 2006 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Mr_Penut

100+ Head-Fier
My sr 225's pick up the signal from incoming wireless devices and transform this into a painful sound. Has anyone had this happen before?

The only benefit is that I can have my phone set on vibrate while I'm at my desk and not alert the roommate when it goes off
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Penut
My sr 225's pick up the signal from incoming wireless devices and transform this into a painful sound. Has anyone had this happen before?

The only benefit is that I can have my phone set on vibrate while I'm at my desk and not alert the roommate when it goes off
tongue.gif

mine does it too, its kinda of funny, i know when my phone is about to ring because the noise goes off in my cans before the phone rings
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 24
thats a first.

Are your cans plugged into a laptop?... or MP3 player. I'm willing to bet your soundcard is picking up RFI from the cell phone, and playing / amping it through the headphone output.

My laptop does that sometimes with the wireless router, and LD micro amp.

Oct 26, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 24
Its actually not the headphones. Unplug them from the amp and you won't hear this.

So its actually in the amplifier circuit that drives the headphones, cause I get it too. Its very annoying and occasionally I'll just get non stop noise that no amount of phone trowing/hitting/hiding will solve. And so i just turn it off.

Oct 26, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 24
Not quite the same but I used to be able to pick up radio with an electric guitar and a distortion pedal.

Oct 26, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by toastmaster
Not quite the same but I used to be able to pick up radio with an electric guitar and a distortion pedal.

i had the experience but its due to the fact that your cable is not properly shielded. but it was kinda weird, i plugged her in and then i started hearing rock me like a hurricane...

Oct 26, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 24
I get it when my cellphone is in my pocket near my iPod and/or PA2v2. Just move the cellphone away and it should stop in most cases. Now that I put my rig in my shoulder bag, it hardly ever does it.

Annoying as it is, it's somewhat handy for realizing that I just got a text message or someone is calling me when I'm listening to my ER 6is and can't hear squat

Oct 26, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #11 of 24
Amplifier circuits can pick up RFI. My Total Bithead is particularly bad about this.

Oct 26, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #13 of 24
The ipod is reallly bad about this. I pick up not just my cell phone, but everyone around me. It can really hurt. It's not the Hornet, it's not the Sensas, it's the ipod.
frown.gif

My only solution has been to move my cell phone further away. I can still pick up other people's phones, but the odds go down.

Oct 26, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
The ipod is reallly bad about this. I pick up not just my cell phone, but everyone around me. It can really hurt. It's not the Hornet, it's not the Sensas, it's the ipod.
frown.gif

My only solution has been to move my cell phone further away. I can still pick up other people's phones, but the odds go down.

True, but only on the 5G (5.5, and Nano too?) iPods, since Apple started to make their own clickwheel and forgot to properly shield it...putting it on Hold works, as well as not owning a cell phone (like me
biggrin.gif
).

Oct 26, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #15 of 24
Gsm signals (cingular/tmobile/etc) are particually bad about causing interference on headphones, speakers, monitors, and the like. With my cingular 2125 I usually pick up my phone before it starts ringing because I can see/hear the signal coming in. With CDMA signals (verizon/alltel/us cellular/ etc) there is generally little or no interference with those devices in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back