CANS I LIKE and CANS I DON'T
Nov 4, 2002 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

r3cc0s

500+ Head-Fier
i've been here a long time, but I haven't been msgging too much just because i've had other things to do for the last while...

after all and all and using many kinds of headphones
i'll say which ones I like

Grado Rs-2 smooth, warm and detailed
MDR-V6 w/ velor pads, comfortable, convenient, pretty flat bass, and detailed
MX-500 w/ ratshak pads, small portable, good soundstage for earbuds and good bass
KSC-35, nice smooth, good bass, very nice clips on to ears comfotable and portable
580/600 senns again smooth, alot of soundstage needs alot of power, but when powered well are amazing, well balanced from deep bass to great detail
MDR-3000 crystal clear, very dynamic, deep bass through to treble, more impactful sound than 580/600, different but just as spaceous soundstage
AKG 501, Very airy, spaceous soundstage, smoooth midrange and amazing detail, flat mid-bass but a tad missing of the deepbass

equipment I used TA, RA-1
with Denon 370 hdcd

cans I don't like

V700, solid build, but boomy mid-bass, muddy midrange and terrible detail, and soundstage? what soundstage?

senn 570, mid-bass, muddy mid, sibilence treble
needs tons of power

senn 497 mid-bassy as well, no soundstage lack of deep bass and i found very passive midrange

EX-70 fontopia terribly midbassy, muggy everything and no soundstage, the 1/4priced mx500 w/ ratshak pads topples them over 10folds

cans I wanna try in the future, MDR-1700 w/ reverse pad mods, R-10kings, Stax Omega II, ety 4s

Nov 4, 2002 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 4
You debited several of these cans for lacking soundstage, but you may have forgotten that the V6, one of the phones in your "like" section, has no soundstage to speak of....
confused.gif

Nov 4, 2002 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 4
I'll say which cans I like:

Etymotic ER-4S: Superb isolation, great overall sound quality (but may be a bit thin on the bass with the wrong equipment)
Sennheiser HD 600: Excellent coherency, good sounding out of almost anything (but may need a small amp if used with a portable)
Sennheiser HD 590: A bit brighter and a bit drier than the HD 600, and a bit easier to drive
Sony MDR-V6: A bit analytical, little soundstage
Sennheiser HD 280 PRO: Similar to the V6, but the mid-treble is a little peaky, and the upper mids aren't as coarse
Grado SR-60/80: Lots of impact, but a bit uncomfortable

Cans I don't like:

Sony MDR-V600: Honky, muddy, tinny sound whose bass is dull and lifeless
Bose TriPort: Like the V600 above
Sennheiser HD 500: Mid-bassy, lacking in detail
Sony MDR-V700DJ: Mid-bassy, no real deep bass extension
Sony MDR-CD3000: Tinny, ringing resonances
Sony MDR-V900: Mid-bassy and tinny both at the same time
Sony MDR-V300: Just plain muddy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back