Cans for workouts
Jul 15, 2001 at 11:44 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan

Not technically true... back in the early 90s Sony did make some good vertical in ear 'phones... namely the A21L and A22L (as you'll see by my profile, I have both) these are almost a cross between the EX70 and the E888, a best of both worlds scenario... hard to explain, and pretty pointless too, seeing that they haven't been in production for about 8 years... but, just thought i'd correct you
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, how can you forget about the Stax SRS-005?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2001 at 5:52 PM Post #18 of 30
Plus the fact that Etys (and even the EX70s, to some extent) are so microphonic -- I'm amazed people can work out with them!

Jul 16, 2001 at 6:47 PM Post #19 of 30
What does microphonic mean?

I also just took a look at Radioshacks website and can't seem to find any of the Koss headphones that have been mentioned, anyone know where you can buy them?

I'm assuming these recomendations are taking into account the sweat factor? When I go to the gym I'm either lifting (in which case I am not using headphones) or riding an exercise bike so I am not moving around a lot so size and how well they stay while running or something is not as much of an issue as stuff like how sweaty the ear pads get. So, any other suggestions taking this into account, or are the Koss ones already mentioned good for this kinda thing?

Jul 16, 2001 at 7:52 PM Post #20 of 30
Yep, the KSC-35 are great for that, too... they really don't get that sweaty, since they rest on the outside of your ears.

As for where to buy them, HeadRoom.com sells them for around $30, but I've seen them on the web for as little as $21. Some Circuit City stores carry them for $20.

Jul 16, 2001 at 8:15 PM Post #22 of 30
Wow...Etys for working out. I usually don't even walk with my Etys on...I'm not very concerned about the potential for not hearing something important...it's just that the cable makes too much damn noise. Of course, they are really the only solution for a truly portable hi-fi setup. I love that I can just fold them up on top of my cosmic and they fit right in the traveller bag. Try that with a set of HD600s!

Jul 16, 2001 at 9:05 PM Post #23 of 30
grrr223, microphonic cable noise is when the cable of an earphone makes noise when it's touched. You can hear it throught the headphone, it's sort of an amplified rubbing noise. It's hard to describe. And the koss headphones are available at radioshack, but they're under the name of Optimus.

Jul 17, 2001 at 2:35 AM Post #24 of 30
See, I know this is a headphone forum, but this is the one instance that speakers actually come in handy -- you can put them far enough away that you won't sweat on them, and in my case, that is a concern, because I have corrosive sweat. Remind me to show you my oldest pair of old...MDR-V6's...the pads are practically fraying...and no, that's not why I think they sound different than my more recent pair of MDR-7506's, I'll stand by...who was it, Mike Walker's?...theory that they make 'em different in different batches...ears by Alcoa, indeed! I am tempted to forsake this forum for such an indignancy! Toss off, the bloody lot of you!

Jul 17, 2001 at 4:14 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

See, I know this is a headphone forum, but this is the one instance that speakers actually come in handy -- you can put them far enough away that you won't sweat on them

Yeah, but for some reason my gym won't let me bring my speakers, amp, and CD player in
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2001 at 7:41 PM Post #26 of 30
I love the Etymotics for the gym, not just for the great sound, but to block out some of the awful noises that I encounter. My current gym has elavator style cieling speakers, with a variety of inane local stations tuned in. Out with that and in with the in-head jazz.

I can't count the times that I have been in the wrong place when some goon decided to advertise by slamming another 45lb plate onto the stack. CLANK! and one of my ears would be ringing for the next 15 minutes. No longer a problem with the Etys. I see the plates hit, hear a very distant ding, and chuckle to myself.

Sweat has not been a problem. At low volume levels the insides of my ears don't tend to sweat, and what runs off my head doesn't seem to hit the phones (plugs, cans, whatever).

Microphonics are not a problem with the 4S. I clip the tee to the back of my collar and run the wire down my back. The 4P did have a problem with this. The caple is rough, so they would "snore" every time I turned my head. The 4S make very little noise.

My experiences are exclusive to weight lifting and stationary bikes in a typical gym. Your mileage may vary.

My only problem is that I sometimes wonder what sort of noises I am making.

Jul 17, 2001 at 9:12 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Microphonics are not a problem with the 4S. I clip the tee to the back of my collar and run the wire down my back. The 4P did have a problem with this. The caple is rough, so they would "snore" every time I turned my head. The 4P make very little noise.

Gret, can you clarify this? The first part you say that the 4S doesn't have a problem, while the 4P does... then you say the 4P make very little noise
wink.gif

I'm actually asking seriously -- Etymotics claims that the 4P is better for reducing microphonic noise, and I plan on getting a pair of Ety's (again) in the future, and I'm interested in which of the above is true from your point of view.

Thanks!

Jul 18, 2001 at 2:28 AM Post #28 of 30
Wow, I can go back and fix my mistakes! Too bad I can't go back and edit conversations in real life.

When I tried the 4P, the cable snoring was annoying to me. The cable is softer than the 4S, but rougher and very grippy.

By contrast, the 4S has a shiney, slipery cable. It slides around without making much noise. It is more prone to thumps, presumably because it is stiffer. I don't have any trouble getting the lead wires arranged to minimize/eliminate thumps.

Next step will be the Treo, if it ever materializes. I am getting tired of carrying the Airhead/Archos combo around. I absolutely can not get the red cable to behave with those components.

On the other hand, I just missed another workout thanks to this web site. You guys are good for my audio education but bad for my health.
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2001 at 5:32 AM Post #29 of 30
I use the EX70's when I cut grass or use a weed eater. It blocks out just barely enough noise that my hearing isn't damaged by the lawnmower but I can hear if something goes wrong with the engine or something. Walking in town isn't really too bad either cause I would hear a car horn behind me unless I really had the music cranked. The only problem with the EX70's is the microphonic cord. It's pretty bad. You can't really jog with them because of the noises that travel through the earphones.

My Koss Sportapros don't have this problem and they stay on my ears pretty good too but I prefer the size of earbuds when I'm doing work and stuff.

Jul 20, 2001 at 5:49 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Greg Freeman
Sweat has not been a problem. At low volume levels the insides of my ears don't tend to sweat, and what runs off my head doesn't seem to hit the phones (plugs, cans, whatever).

At low volume levels the insides of ears don't tend to sweat? Your ears sweat based on your volume level? Those must be some intense headphones you have there!
tongue.gif

But seriously, I don't think enough has been talked about when it comes to perspiration. I mean, shoot, I'd like to know that phones are rated for getting wet/sweat-on because I'd have to ruin them if they were drenched in sweat a couple times. Do the instructions/manual state anything about Ety's being perspiration-resistant/tolerant?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back