cans for the gym
Feb 14, 2007 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

deaby

Head-Fier
hey guys,

looking for some cans for the gym.. pretty much something that sounds good but will stay on while im moving around but also not so closed that i cannot hear what's going on around me.. any suggestions?

Feb 14, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 30
Koss PortaPro are great for active wear as they stay put pretty well, they are open, but do not leak excessively. I do find the bass a bit heavy/loose/sloppy, but I like Ety's and AKG so take it from there . . . .

Sennheiser PX100 are better sounding but do not stay in place as well.

Feb 15, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #3 of 30
I love JVC Marshmallows for the gym. Enough isolation to take care of the annoying, overly-loud techno crap gym music, and a nice, fun, bassy sound.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I'm not sure if these would isolate too much for you.

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 30
Check out the V-Moda Vibes. They sound great, are portable, and don't isolate.

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 30
for the gym I go cheap... Senn MX350 or MX450 and sometimes the PMX100 (which is the PX100 but with neckband)... they are good enough for working out, but won't cost much when accidentally ruined (I ripped the cord of some buds before and it will happen again)

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 30
I always recommend Koss KSC75 when it goes to sportive usage.

Feb 15, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 30
I love my AKG K27i, it is perfect for music that is big on bass. I mainly listen to progressive house, drum n' bass, and heavy metal at the gym.

A lot of people slam this phone and its predecessor the K26p (which is pretty much the same except for the inline volume control). Its not neutral, but its a fun can.

I would have got the PX100s for their better audio quality, but i feel that this quality would be comprised at the gym with all the noise from the 'spin cycle' classes and bad pop music.

The K26p and K27i are closed and isolate well enough so that you don't go deaf drowning out background noise. I know you mentioned you still want to hear whats going on around you, and I think that you still can with these phones, it just helps quiet things down a bit.

There is also a K28NC out now which is the noise canceling version.

Feb 15, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 30
IEMs are great for the gym, but they'll probably block out all environmental sound. You might like to check out the Sennheiser HD25. It's not an IEM, rather a fairly small headphone that's aimed at being mobile. It has a short cable (1.5m I think), sturdy build quality, and mini plug.

Feb 15, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #12 of 30
K1000s.

Nah....another vote for marshmallows. By all means go cheap. Think: sweat, large chunks of moving metal and sticky-outy things to catch your cord all over the place. Just a suggestion: run the chord under your shirt or down your back. I used to keep my wedding ring on a chain around my neck (I'm a rock climber) and one time I stood up next to a machine only to hear my ring go tink tink across the floor. Seems I caught the chain on one of the afore mentioned sticky-outy things. Found it after 1/2 hour of looking.

Feb 16, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #13 of 30
My vote go for V-moda Vibes or KSC-75. Neither completely isolate you. The Vibes are open IEMs (which i think is pretty interesting) and they sound quite good for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back