cans for running
May 27, 2005 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kamenal

Head-Fier
I have to give a gift to a friend and he is in need of headphones for use with an ipod for running. Any suggestions for headphones, which will stay in place during physical activity, such as running? Yor advice is greatly appreciated.

May 27, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 6
Short answer: KSC-35.
Extended discussion: This thread.

May 29, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 6
For comfort, use the Sony w.ear. They have a soft plastic sleeve around the clips, which are perfect for exercise. The KSC35's sound better, but for me were not comfortable for exercise.

May 29, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #5 of 6
A short list of possibilitys.

Koss KSC35
Koss KSC75
Koss SportaPro
Koss PortaPro
Sony MDR-EX71SL
Sony MDR-EX51SL
Sony MDR-EX81LP
Shure E2C
Sennheiser MX500
Etymotic Research ER6i

I'm sure I'm missing some obvious optionst, but others can point those out for me.

May 30, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 6
In general I would stay away from any of the in-ear (canal) phone like ER6's or eC2's. It not that they don't sound good, (I am very happy with my ER6's), but they block out too much external noise to really be "safe" when running or jogging. Also you tend to hear each footstep and heatbeat as a thump in your ears. This takes away from the music, and can be very distracting if your heart is pounding from a good workout.

I use Senn MX400's while exercising outdoors. They are inexpensive (about $12) and are the best ear buds that I have heard (and I have been through a lot of earbuds). They are more balanced that the stock iPod earbuds, and have a brighter sound than most Sony earbuds. They have good bass, but not quite the same thump as some of the Sony's.

The MX400's were well worth the price, and the MX500's come with a volume control for a few bucks more. I have not heard the MX350's or 450's yet, but I will probably pick up a pair next time I order something from HeadRoom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back