Cans for Pops
Apr 16, 2006 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

peterpan188

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am ready to shed the blood of my wallet!!!
evil_smiley.gif

Alright, I have been looking at an upgrade of my current rig. I currently have a pair of e3c, HD497, a ancient Sony PCDP, a CMOY and PIMETA (both DIY). I do notice that not that many people concentrate at Pop in here, but that is the type of music I like the most. I like English Pop, American Pop, J.POP, and my native language, Chinese Pop. I also listen to quite a lot of Rock.

I notice that HD497 is too laid back for my taste, my toe don't move with it. For e3c, its lacking of bass took away some good part of my Rock collection, and it isn't the most comfortable earphone I can use in a room. I have a budget around 300-350 (saved up for a while), and I want something high-end and will last me a long while before I do another upgrade (most likely I won't get into Stax). I understand that my amp and player isn't the best fit for high end phones, and I am planning to work on making different amp
designs in the close future (Millet Hybrid, Dynalo), the CDP needs a while.

I looked at the HD650, K701, and DT880. The HD650 seems to have the best bass response, but its just as laid back as any other Senns cans, K701 seems to be very natural and pretty forward with excellent soundstage, but hows the bass? Would it be a good fit with Pop? I don't know much about the DTs, so I am not sure if that will be a good choice. Any suggestions?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter

Apr 16, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 15
beyer dt 770/880 sounds like your ticket. with the rest get a pair of ksc35/75's to boot.

thats what i would do.

Apr 16, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 15
A PIMETA really is not a bad amp. It really depends on what parts you have in it. What kind of op-amp do you have? You might want to look into Grado/Alessandro's offerings. With $350, you could get a SR325i/MS-2, and get a good op-amp to synergise like the OPA627. I don't know much about the other's but others will be able to help you. Good Luck

Apr 16, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 15
I built the PIMETA with AD8620/8610 combo, with 2 stacked BUF645 buffer, Cerafine Caps, and no input DC caps. would that provide good synegy with the Grados? The biggest drawback I see with Grado is the complain for their design. Many said it hurts their head after listening to Grado for a while. How's the situation with SR325i?

So AKG is out of consideration for pop? I love their iPod white
tongue.gif

Apr 16, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 15
No no, AKG, Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic are not out of the running, its just that I don't know much about them.

Actually, the sr325i/ms2 would actually be more uncomfortable since they are metal, thus making them heavier. If you want Grado, you could try going a step lower and getting the SR225 with C-pads.

The AD8620 is an aggressive op-amp if mixed with an already forward headphone, might not be the best synergy. I'm not to sure about this, so you might want to ask someone else. Have you thought about getting a different op-amp, and then switching them?

Oh, do you live in the States? Because you mentioned that your native language is Chinese. If you are out of the States, then I'm afraid Grado is out. They do not ship outside the US. Good Luck

Apr 16, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 15
Alessandro is a suitable option outside the States. Chances are, you can buy Grado locally (out of the State) anyway.. they just cost a lot (poor value).

But I think they should be considered for pop too. Very energetic.

Apr 16, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 15
O, sorry for the confusion. I do live in the States, in New York, I was just too lazy to put it on my profile
tongue.gif
. This is the reason I didn't really consider the Alessandro.

Since 8620 is a aggressive opamp (I experienced that quite a bit with the HD497), would a neutal phone (ex. k701, DT and HD 650) give the energy for pop?

Thanks,
Peter

Apr 16, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 15
Thanks for your input anyway 2426, you gave me more clue on what I need already, thanks

Peter

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 15
Bump

Anyone have experience with K701, HD 650 for pop? How do they sound?
I understand that most here listen to rock, jazz, metal and classical. But IMO, Pop is something that can combine parts of every genre, with good beats. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #12 of 15
For pop music I prefer Sony cans. SA5000, Qualia 010. Senns are a bit too relaxed/refined. Grado's great too, but I like soundstage, and pop benefits from the Grado edge a little less than pure guitar based rock. audio-technica woodies do fine with pop too. I like their sense of space, even better than the SA5000, but sometimes the texture/detail from the SA5000 is better.

Really it depends more on you than the cans though. Different electronics help refine or bring out the best (or worst) in cans, but personally it's not enough of an impact to make me preference one can over another for a genre of music.

Best,

-Jason

Apr 17, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 15
I just took a look at Sony cans. For the price SA5K seems to be out of my budget ($360+), and it isn't available in any of the sponsor's sites (For headphone purchase, I tend to go from more trusted sites, and of course, ones that support our community
eggosmile.gif
). Qualia is discontinued, and its wayyyyyyy too expensive for me, can't save that much with ramen noodle these days.

Where can I get some info about ATH cans, where to buy them?

I have always been wondering, when we say that a can is neutral, people tend to have 2 response: either it is a boring can, or it suits every genre well. What's you guys' view on the K701 (thought to be neutral). For Senns, I would rather try something new, something that isn't as laid back. The AD8620 helped, but not as nice as I would wish it to be.

Peter

Apr 17, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #14 of 15
Hmm. The woodies are discontinued and generally out of your price range.

Letsee, okay, I re-read your original post. $300 - 350, with Pimeta... For pop music...

Hmm. I'd want to say try and get a used SA5k, except I'm pretty picky regarding the electronics I like it with. I like warmer/more full-sounding electronics to balance out the SA5k's tendancy towards thinness. I don't know if your amp does that.

If you're in NYC, you're more than welcome sometime to drop by and visit my collection and we can go from that. I live near Gramercy Park/Madison Square Park.

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back