Cans for new gaming laptop?
Jun 10, 2007 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Highnoon

New Head-Fier
I just got my Asus G1s gaming laptop, and the speakers rrreeealllyy suck, so I need some new headphones badly.

I would like to spend < $100, preferably around $80.
I will be using these headphones to listen to music, watch movies, and play games. They will be worn for long periods of time, so comfort is a MAJOR factor.

From my looking around Newegg, I liked the Sennheiser HD 280 PRO and the HD 485. Some people on NotebookReview recommended the Audio-Technica A500, A700, and A900, Sennheiser HD 555, and the Beyerdynamic DT770/80ohms.

Thanks guys!

Jun 10, 2007 at 8:38 AM Post #2 of 19
Haven't tried the DT770, but I have used the A500 and HD595 (bigger brother of HD555), and I find the HD595 to be more comfortable.

So go with the HD555 for comfort imho, but the Audio Technicas are closed, so no sound will leak unlike the HD555.

Jun 10, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Highnoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my Asus G1s gaming laptop, and the speakers rrreeealllyy suck, so I need some new headphones badly.

I would like to spend < $100, preferably around $80.
I will be using these headphones to listen to music, watch movies, and play games. They will be worn for long periods of time, so comfort is a MAJOR factor.

From my looking around Newegg, I liked the Sennheiser HD 280 PRO and the HD 485. Some people on NotebookReview recommended the Audio-Technica A500, A700, and A900, Sennheiser HD 555, and the Beyerdynamic DT770/80ohms.

Thanks guys!

A500 FTW..Isolation is a plus..

Jun 10, 2007 at 9:01 AM Post #5 of 19
Gaming under $100 can't go wrong with A500, HD485, K81DJ, HP460, HD555.

I would not recommend the HD280, last thing to get, not good bass unamped and soundstage is a weak point. Same with the open eH350, which has similar sound signature. And bass + soundstage are the biggest points for gaming.

Jun 10, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gaming under $100 can't go wrong with A500, HD485, K81DJ, HP460, HD555.

I would not recommend the HD280, last thing to get, not good bass unamped and soundstage is a weak point. Same with the open eH350, which has similar sound signature. And bass + soundstage are the biggest points for gaming.

For competitive gaming bass is a negative IMO.. Gaming for leisure, bass is a must...

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 19
-The headphones do not have to be portable at all, I will be using them in my dorm 99% of the time.

-Hmmm I guess isolation would be a plus, I'm not exactly sure how loud my dorm is going to be.

-I'm more of a leisure gamer, and I love bass.

Also, can anyone give me a recommendation of a good site to buy headphones like these? Someone not NotebookReview recommended AudioCubes or something like that because you can customize them with me comfortable pads...is that a good idea?

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #8 of 19
You'd probably prefer the DT770 over the A500 since you're a basshead
basshead.gif
(
wink.gif
), but at your pricepoint the A500 is the way to go.

AudioTechnica A500
B0002ERGPQ.09._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Au...eadphones.html

Jun 10, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For competitive gaming bass is a negative IMO.. Gaming for leisure, bass is a must...

X2

completely agree with that statement. Treble is much more important for games such as CS because you need to pick out footsteps and gunshots.

Nibiyabi,

have to agree with you on Audiocubes. I just bought A500 from there, and I can't say how much I was impressed by their service, and their competitive pricing. Highly recommend them. I'm starting to feel like I work for them.

Jun 10, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2

completely agree with that statement. Treble is much more important for games such as CS because you need to pick out footsteps and gunshots.

Nibiyabi,

have to agree with you on Audiocubes. I just bought A500 from there, and I can't say how much I was impressed by their service, and their competitive pricing. Highly recommend them. I'm starting to feel like I work for them.

Audiocubes is first class all the way.. Still want to get the AT5000..But 737.00 is a lot for me at the moment..

Jun 11, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #11 of 19
Ok guys... so I'm pretty sold on the ATH-A500s
smily_headphones1.gif

One more question...

Do I need a USB soundcard or some such device to take full advantage of these headphones? or is the onboard sound sufficient?

Jun 11, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #12 of 19
Onboard maybe very much sifficient in all honesty, depends on your laptop. (Mine has a surprisingly nice card, works for gaming fine).

I'll say +1 to getting the best ath-A headphone you can fit into your budget.

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #13 of 19
Damnit damnit damnit!

I am so close to buying the A500s, but I keep on going back on myself. I was talking to my friend who is in college today and he said he doesn't really use his headphones much in his dorm, but if he had wireless ones he would.

Are there any good wireless rigs in my budget? ($100 or less)

Oh, and if I do get the A500s, is there any way to use them with an Xbox 360 and Wii?

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #14 of 19
A problem that I had with my laptop is that the (integrated) soundcard itself was inferior. No headphone can correct that, an external DAC/amp combination is needed then.
But it doesn't have to be that way, the sound of my desktop (even though it's integrated too) is very decent.

Jun 11, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Highnoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and if I do get the A500s, is there any way to use them with an Xbox 360 and Wii?

Yes. What you are going to need is a rca to mini (1/8 headphone jack) converter, then a gender changer for the mini (because that will turn the male rca's coming from the wii of xbox into a male mini jack) and just plug in anything phones you want (except ones that use 1/4 inch jacks of course).

check here for reference:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
and here:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Users who are viewing this thread

Back