Cans For My Scarlett 2i2
Aug 8, 2012 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SMOR3S

100+ Head-Fier
So I purchased a Scarlett 2i2 last week for my studio setup, and I have to say, it's pretty awesome.. The module has nice pre-amps, it works good with my dynamic mic, and the audio output is fantastic... But just one problem though... I still have crappy cans -_- ..

I saw biggbenn74, post a thread, here about the AKG Q701's. I have always been an AKG fan, but these bad boys might be out of my budget.. Amazon shows here: http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Signature-Reference-Class-Headphones-White/dp/B004444OFK $260 :/

I could go out and get some KRK Monitors for the same price, but I rather have the cans for referencing, when I produce my music.

Budget: $200

Preferred Budget: $150

I don't want to spend more than $150, but $200 is the max I'll go..

*EDIT* Not looking for something high end, or amazing, but something that would be good for music playback, and referencing when producing music... My music genre is House, Electro House, Dubstep, DnB, Trance, Liquid Funk, Glitch Hop, Progressive House, Dance, Club, Alternative/Rock

Thanks,

- SMOR3S

Aug 8, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 8
I really like my Audio Technica ATH-M50s.  They are a closed dynamic can with good base.  They sound great through my Scarlett Ei6, and work great for mixing.  The M50s are good for monitoring too as they isolate well leaving almost no sound leakage that can bleed into tracks.  Also, they are within your budget!

Cheers,
Nick

Aug 8, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
I really like my Audio Technica ATH-M50s.  They are a closed dynamic can with good base.  They sound great through my Scarlett Ei6, and work great for mixing.  The M50s are good for monitoring too as they isolate well leaving almost no sound leakage that can bleed into tracks.  Also, they are within your budget!

Cheers,
Nick

Yeah, they don't look to bad.. I was recommended in the past, to getting the AD700s, but aren't those less bassy?

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 8
Never heard the 700s so I can't comment on the comparison.  The M50s have punchy base.  It is a little exaggerated but close enough to neutral that they work for mixing.  A big plus is their build quality too.  They are built like a tank! They are also easy to drive and sound great straight out of an MP3 player or phone.  An amp is always a plus, but they do ok without.

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 8
The AD700 are midfocused and somewhat light on the bass. They are also fully open cans, in case isolation is a concern. 

The M50s are excellent all-rounders though wouldn't be my first choice for production as they have a bit of an emphasized bass.

An excellent monitor/production headphone is the Sony MDR-V6 (aka 7506). Good neutral sound, tough, portable, and good isolation round out the package. 

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
The AD700 are midfocused and somewhat light on the bass. They are also fully open cans, in case isolation is a concern. 

The M50s are excellent all-rounders though wouldn't be my first choice for production as they have a bit of an emphasized bass.

An excellent monitor/production headphone is the Sony MDR-V6 (aka 7506). Good neutral sound, tough, portable, and good isolation round out the package. 

:3 ya.. I am not looking to drop $300-$400 on some KRK's or w/e for monitors.. + I like headphones a lot better for referencing, so I'll just stick with some cans..

I do prefer closed headphones, cause at times, there is... erm.. noise in my house... ^_-

I don't want headphones with extreme bass response, cause that would overpower the high and mid range level right?.. I want a nice balanced pair of monitoring headphones, good for referencing, and good for music playback... Even when I'm not producing, I want to enjoy listening to some music :3

Budget is still $150-$200...

Thanks for all the options so far... XD

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 8
Correct, you don't want a headphone with any emphasized region otherwise your mixes will be inverted from what you want. 

The KRK6400 and Beyerdynamic DT250 are also pretty good for midbudget monitoring headphone. 

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #8 of 8
Hi, thought I'd open this thread back up because I am also a 2i2 owner who wants a balanced/flat, non-colored (timbrally) pair of cans for music production purposes, and as a dismiss-able priority, for listening to music. I have a similar budget as the original poster: $100 or less is preferred, but I can go $150. I don't need anything amazing, but I am hoping to get some that will accurately play bass (no emphasis) going down to 20hz, and then with a shallow roll-off.

I was hoping to get something stylish, but that's not necessary. Only if there are some good sounding, stylish reference headphones, i'd like to consider them.

I was thinking of Sony MDR 7510's because in an interview, Aphex Twin can be quoted, "well, they're not the best pair of headphones for listening to music but to write/mix on,  i've never heard anything as good as those yet, and I've heard a lot of em, not all but a lot, most, so mabe better ones out there". I like listening to his music a lot too, so maybe that's a plus. Does anybody know from production experience about these?

I was really hoping to get a pair suited for my 2i2; would there be a pair that sounds particularly good with this particular interface/amp? 

Otherwise, I'm considering the 
Sony MDRV6
KRK KNS6400 

and was wondering about the
Grado SR80e
Grado SR80e
Are they good for production? Do they offer a flat, uncolored response? Is the open-back design worth the cost of losing isolation? Will the open-back design bring a different listening experience?

I heard about Sennheisers. Haven't looked into those. 

Looking for opinions from first-hand experience from producers, or if someone you know (who's a producer) had a pair they enjoyed.

Thanks a bunch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back