cans for my GF (no IEM's)??
Mar 23, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #16 of 21
Px100s will give her decent sound, but I do agree they will kill her ears in the long run if she uses them in subways and heavy-traffic areas (reason why I´ve ordered some Westone UM1s). Good things have been said about the new Sennheiser Cx300 (not exactly IEMS, more like the ex71 or Hje50), maybe you could try those. Otherwise the Mx500 / Mx400 earbuds are very cheap and might give better isolation than the Px100 being that the driver is closer to the ear.

I´m asuming your girl wont want to walk around with full sized cans on her head.

Mar 23, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #17 of 21
How about the Audio-Technica ATH-ES5 or ATH-ES7? Yes, they are over the specified US$70 budget, but they sound good.
tongue.gif

If sound quality and isolation is important, and appearance not so important, I would go for the Sennheiser HD25-1 with an OFC cable.

Another option is the ATH-EC7 earbud. Isolation isn't as good as an IEM, of course.

I apologize for recommending headphones over the specified budget.

Mar 23, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #18 of 21
Outside of fully closed cans that completely cover the ear, I can't think of any other device that will provide isolation other than IEMs.

Riding on a bus, lightrail, sitting at Qdoba for lunch, sitting at Starbucks for the fix, etc. I found myself cranking up the volume on things like EX71s or the iPod Buds to unhealthy levels just to block out the ambient noise and enjoy my music.

Maybe you can buy a decent set of IEMs that you'd like to try and see if she could get used to them? If she doesn't, you can return them within 14 days at most places (Apple Store, Circuit City, and other similar establishments) or you can keep 'em for yourself!
icon10.gif

My wife didn't like my E4c's either, but she only tried them for 15 seconds, and she was using the same sleeves/buds that I use and her ear canals are probably much smaller than mine. Some people just don't like stuff in their ears, though. If I didn't have to force myself to get used to hearing protection when I was in the military, I'd feel the same way, too.

Mar 23, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
How about the Audio-Technica ATH-ES5 or ATH-ES7? Yes, they are over the specified US$70 budget, but they sound good.
tongue.gif

If sound quality and isolation is important, and appearance not so important, I would go for the Sennheiser HD25-1 with an OFC cable.

Another option is the ATH-EC7 earbud. Isolation isn't as good as an IEM, of course.

I apologize for recommending headphones over the specified budget.

Unfortunately, these are too much over my budget, especially here in Europe.
Moreover, it's not easy to find the Audio-Technica headphones for a reasonable price. I would probably buy some open cans for that price instead.

So I'm going to buy either er6i's or e4c's. The decision depends on the money.
I hope she will find them comfortable, otherwise I'll be in trouble
tongue.gif
Cheers

Mar 24, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #20 of 21
IEMs can be uncomfortable for some people. They may also take some time to get used to.

The Shure E4g comes with many different kinds of tips, including foam. I think the Westone UM2 complys are more comfortable, though.

If you don't mind buying used, the FS Forum may be another option. I bought my HD25-1 used here from a generous head-fier, and only cost me slightly over US$100. Change the earpads, and one might think the headphones are almost new.

Here the HD25-1 is used with an iPod shuffle

HD25-1iPodshuffle.jpg

Mar 24, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
IEMs can be uncomfortable for some people. They may also take some time to get used to.

The Shure E4g comes with many different kinds of tips, including foam. I think the Westone UM2 complys are more comfortable, though.

If you don't mind buying used, the FS Forum may be another option. I bought my HD25-1 used here from a generous head-fier, and only cost me slightly over US$100. Change the earpads, and one might think the headphones are almost new.

Here the HD25-1 is used with an iPod shuffle

HD25-1iPodshuffle.jpg

How would you compare your e4 with hd25-1 in terms of SQ?
Which one is considered to be better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back