Cans for 'exercising' with...
Aug 2, 2017 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

BruceBanner

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

A letter came home from my sons school asking that this term he bring headphones in for something that they’re working on/doing.

His last pair broke, and the pair before that, I’m sick of buying $15-30 kids headphones for them to just last 2 months…
Anyway, that’s kinda by the by, I figured I would let him use my Samson 950’s which I don’t use much these days anyway (my main desktop headphones are Logitechs G933’s which I use mainly for gaming). But if I give the boy my Samsons then I’m a can short, so I’m kinda using this as an excuse to pick up a new pair for myself :D

I’m a IEM man mostly, PFE 232’s, and I listen to the majority of music on these via my Hidizs AP100 at work (domestic cleaning).

Of late I have had occasions that due to sweat or whatever, they can lose their isolation a little bit too frequently for my liking, needing a gentle shove every couple of minutes… and basically I’ve also been a little bored, I’m kinda itching to maybes try some 'cans' with my AP100 at work (my Samson 950's require more power than what the Ap100 can give and are also a little too large and cumbersome to use).

So… I’m wondering if any of you could recommend a pair of 'cans' that meet this criteria;

1) First and foremost, they need to be streamlined, light and grip really well. I won’t be running, jogging, but I will be moving semi quick and bending up and down quickly etc. My Logitech G933’s for example weigh a ton, and slip off easily if I tilt my head forward.

2) Are probably ‘full sized’, that is large enough to pass over my largish ears. I hate headphones that sit on the ear itself, crappy isolation, could hear the vacuum cleaner and ears get sore etc. My ears also stick out a fair bit so those kinda designs just don’t stay on me well.
Full sized sounds as if I am looking for huge cans, and would look daft wearing them, but I have been surprised at times, I recall trying on some Bose can styled headphones in their store once and thought they were really small and light, that maybe they were kids cans or summin, but to my surprise they past right over my ears and sat very comfortable, they sounded pretty good too! This was quite awhile ago, these days every can they (bose) seem to do is noise cancelling or wireless, both of which I don’t want. But something like this is what they looked like, large enough to cover whole ear, but not massive enough to look like something from Dr Who; https://www.amazon.com/Bose-Around-...rd_wg=66Pv4&psc=1&refRID=TYSETP6SGXWP9864SNTV

3) Able to be driven by the AP100.

So yeh, that’s kinda what I’m after. Ap100 has enough EQ settings to balance the headphones sound quality out. Some of my cleaning jobs are only 1-2hrs, gone are the days of 8hrs IEM notstop use.

Cheers,

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back