Cans for electronic drum kit
Jul 10, 2002 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

L.B.

New Head-Fier
I own the Roland V-Club Compact Drum set, am looking to purchase headphones, and would like some recommendations!

Price: Up to $150
Style: Sealed or open (not sure!)

My main concerns are sound quality, comfort (if I were to wear them for long periods of time), and driveability (whether or not the Roland output is sufficient), which of course is asking a ton!

THANX

Jul 10, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by L.B.
I own the Roland V-Club Compact Drum set, am looking to purchase headphones, and would like some recommendations!

Price: Up to $150
Style: Sealed or open (not sure!)

My main concerns are sound quality, comfort (if I were to wear them for long periods of time), and driveability (whether or not the Roland output is sufficient), which of course is asking a ton!

THANX

I did some testing recently with my VPro kit, and I have some opinions. I was looking to lighten my headphone load a little bit, and pitted the Sony MDR-7506 against the ATHM40fs--I was going to sell the one I liked least with the Vs. I was quite surprised. Even though I thought in general the MDR-7506 sounded better coming out of the console, when used specifically for drums or direct from the TD-10, they were way overbright. I was determined to live with one, and the Audio Technica's time and time sounded better with the V drums.

Abstractly, the general principles are: get a closed can in the "studio monitor" family of phones which will have good, differentiated bass response. You want closed both for recording and so that you don't hear too much of the pad contact noise you're generating. And yes, comfort matters. I thought both the Sony and the AT's were very comfortable. The AT's are great phones for this application, though, comfy and convenient for drumming.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the phone jack from the module. I kept trying to use my mixer outs and various amps, but at least in the case of the TD-10 the headphone out sounds very very good--direct, uneffected and unaffected, fast, with a convenient attenuator too. I also mix my SPD-20 into the TD-10, and use the mix control on the module to blend them. Very clean sounding and convenient.

Ymmv, but do check out the ATs...you should be able to hear them at Mars or GC if in those places. Again, I thought the Sonys were superior phones, slightly, but that the AT's were orders of magnitude better for this application. Should be under $90 too...

Best,

AMcT

Jul 10, 2002 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 4
Whatever you decide I'd stick with closed. The mesh heads are pertty quiet but not totally silent. Regardless the sound of a stick hitting rubber cymbals is anything BUT natural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back