cans for classical
Feb 2, 2018 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Waxy

New Head-Fier
Hi all.
I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for universal iems and open back headphones for mostly classical listening. (Symphonies to cello to piano.) I currently have a few headphones - Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs (not loving and don't know why), UE 900s (which I use for the gym and like a lot but that's usually rock or rap) and some 15 year old Etymotics (used to love, now think they sound very thin and weak). I'm thinking up to $600 and am considering second-hand/ear sets.
And that's my second question - are used headphones usually a decent way to go on sites like this?

Thanks and appreciate your help,

John

Feb 2, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 18
Sorry for being vague. I'm thinking of spending $600 each. Might start with one and if that scratches the itch, stop there. At least for a while. Thanks.

Feb 6, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #11 of 18
can you pinpoint what you didn't like about the alpha dogs? Also- were you running them off an amp and dac, and if so what was it? I ask all this because the Alpha dog/Mad dog is incredibly difficult to drive.

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #12 of 18
Yep, open-back headphones are the ones for Classical genre. If you don't mind the pads, you should try the Grado headphones. For that budget the RS2e seems suitable. But if you could find a used GS1000i/e model around that price, that would also be great considering it has a larger soundstage. Grado headphones are also quite easy-to-drive. So you can listen to them even straight out of your phone, or laptop.

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #13 of 18
can you pinpoint what you didn't like about the alpha dogs? Also- were you running them off an amp and dac, and if so what was it? I ask all this because the Alpha dog/Mad dog is incredibly difficult to drive.

I'm not sure I can pinpoint any problems. I just don't get that 'wow' feeling I used to get with headphones. And although they're very comfortable, my ears get hot. And yes, they do seem very hard to drive. I bought a headphone amp but even then it needs to be cranked up a bit. So I'm starting to think of IEMs because I don't want to bother everyone with what I'm listening to...

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #14 of 18
Yep, open-back headphones are the ones for Classical genre. If you don't mind the pads, you should try the Grado headphones. For that budget the RS2e seems suitable. But if you could find a used GS1000i/e model around that price, that would also be great considering it has a larger soundstage. Grado headphones are also quite easy-to-drive. So you can listen to them even straight out of your phone, or laptop.

Thanks for your ideas. I'll definitely give them a listen. I love the stye of Grados, but I am leaning to the IEMs just because I'm doing a home renovations and for six months I don't have a private listening place.

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #15 of 18
Hmmm the sound may have been too neutral for you. Sometimes that can come across as sterile or boring? Regardless- I just wanted to make sure they were amped (which you did)and even after you didn’t like the sound. All is good

Edit- not having a private listening space would definetly call for a closed back in my opinion... Or like you thought- a good IEM

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back