Cans for around 250€ with good isolation?
Mar 22, 2012 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Rooka

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I'm looking for some headphones with good isolation (they will be used in an office environment and it would be great if they isolate well sound of talking or music playing from our shared boxes).
I do like headphones that go around my ear, like my previously owned Audio-Technica SQ5. I also want to use them in the subway so they shouldn’t be too big and heavy.

Unlike the SQ5s, I prefer a strong bass. I had the AIAIAI TMA-1s which sounded great, but they didn’t fit quite well. I was looking at the Philips Fidelio L1, but I think they won’t deliver the isolation I am looking for.

The Bose QuietComfort 15 (I know Head-Fi isn’t the best spot for Bose ;D ) were fitting quite nice and the noise cancellation was pretty impressive. Soundwise, they were okay but not as powerful and fun as the TMA-1s.

I was also looking at the Denon D2000 (but the isolation isn’t that good)

Do you have any suggestions? I know IEMs would be an alternative, but I'd prefer some cans.

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 5
Perhaps the Audio Technica ATH-M50 is worth a look.  They sound great for the price, are built like a tank, and have good bass extension.

The price in around $150 US.

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 5
Fidelio L1 have better built quality and portable, comfort, sound is good. But the isolation and leakage is not that great because is semi-open.

However, K550 has the best comfort, but built quality not as good as Fidelio L1. Cable is fixed and long so not that portable when carrying walkabout. Other than that i think K550 best suites me.

Hope this help!

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Perhaps the Audio Technica ATH-M50 is worth a look.  They sound great for the price, are built like a tank, and have good bass extension.

The price in around $150 US.

Agreed, although I'd try to get it for a price lower than that, like $120 or $130 at the most. Another good headphone, which is lighter-weight and has better overall SQ and comfort is the KRK KNS-8400. My only gripe with them is that the headband is bit wide on the head.

The other alternatives I can think of are supra-aurals like the HD25 (nice isolation, small soundstage), M-80 (decent isolation, better soundstage), or the new Philips Citiscape Downtown (haven't heard them yet but Tyll at Inner Fidelity gave them a nice review although I don't know how much they isolate for train/bus use but you can check out his measurements).

If you want to go the NC route, I'd suggest the ATH-ANC7. They're not as bulky as the M50 (although M50 being bulky is debatable but if you're used to the SQ5 the M50 will be slightly bulkier), but overall I'd say the SQ on the M50 is better.

Mar 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Hey guys,
I'm looking for some headphones with good isolation (they will be used in an office environment and it would be great if they isolate well sound of talking or music playing from our shared boxes).
I do like headphones that go around my ear, like my previously owned Audio-Technica SQ5. I also want to use them in the subway so they shouldn’t be too big and heavy.

Unlike the SQ5s, I prefer a strong bass. I had the AIAIAI TMA-1s which sounded great, but they didn’t fit quite well. I was looking at the Philips Fidelio L1, but I think they won’t deliver the isolation I am looking for.

The Bose QuietComfort 15 (I know Head-Fi isn’t the best spot for Bose ;D ) were fitting quite nice and the noise cancellation was pretty impressive. Soundwise, they were okay but not as powerful and fun as the TMA-1s.

I was also looking at the Denon D2000 (but the isolation isn’t that good)

Do you have any suggestions? I know IEMs would be an alternative, but I'd prefer some cans.

Heya,

I feel like I just posted this in another thread, but good passive isolation in your price range, my top three picks for that:

Beyer DT770
AKG K550
Brainwavz HM5

Add the Fiio E11 for portable use, or if you can use them stationary at the office/home, the Fiio E10.

I would put you on the Denon, but the Denon has less isolation even though it's otherwise an amazing headphone. I would favor the DT770 and K550 above for isolation and superb sound. Use the FiioE11/10 on EQ2 and you have your earthquaking.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back