Cans for AC DC aficionado
Feb 8, 2018 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Mhog55

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey folks
I'd like to hear from AC DC fans as to what your favorite cans are for listening to the greatest rock n roll band ever. I completely understand this is highly subjective, but I'd still like to know what your favorites are, and also get some recommendations.
I prefer closed back, over ear cans, however I'm open minded. I've done some research in general on specific cans best for rock. The ones that continually got mentioned were most of the Grado line, ATH-M50X, AKG K240, and most all of the Beyerdynamic DT line.
Obviously were focused on bass, vocals, and guitar. I definitely want a pair with great detail and emphasis on mids so I can really here the greatest front man shine (RIP Buddy).
I want something that will really dive into the dueling guitars AC DC is so famous for, like on songs like Whole lotta Rosie and Soul Stripper. I want the kick drum to really kick also.
I'd like to keep my budget around 150, but I'm definitely willing to spend more for the right cans. I really don't know what sound signature I'm after here, flat like maybe? My understanding is that a V shape puts emphasis on highs and lows, leaving the mids a little recessed. What I do know is that I don't like an extremely bright sound, and I don't want something fatiguing. I'm fairly new to the world of headphones. Lastly, at the moment I will be using the cans with my LG G6 android phone. I also have a Fiio E6 portable amp, though I'm not real keen on the sound it produces. It's just okay. Eventually I will upgrade to an LG V30 with the built-in quad dac, so perhaps we should bare that in mind as it takes 50 plus ohms to kick start (so I've read).
Bonus points for a set I can wear to the gym without too much inconvenience. I often rely on Bon and Angus to get me through my workouts (A solid pre workout helps to). I would only use these while lifting, no cardio.
In closing, I guess I want a pair that is really going to bring this band to life as I never had the opportunity to see Bon Scott perform live. Energetic, fun, get ya moving, yet not over the top or unnatural. I look forward to hearing everyone's suggestions and preferences, and really appreciate your responses.

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 15
Well with the setup you have or are going to get forget the K240’s as what you want won’t run them well. I myself do not like the M50’s as I think the bass is just too bloated but that is me. I have a amp that can run the 240 sextetts and I have a pair of Grado RS1’s and it is a toss up between the two for AC/DC. The 240’s are pure power in your face rock and roll and the Grados aren’t too far behind but just a bit more refined. I did see Bon Scott preform live back in I guess 78 as they opened for Kiss and they were awesome. Bon Scott put Angus on his shoulders and ran around Freedom Hall (Louisville) as he just ripped it. Awesome concert.

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 15
V-Moda M100-easy to drive,has slam,has energy,portable,closed back so you can use at the gym too.Sounds good with that type of rock.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 15
Well with the setup you have or are going to get forget the K240’s as what you want won’t run them well. I myself do not like the M50’s as I think the bass is just too bloated but that is me. I have a amp that can run the 240 sextetts and I have a pair of Grado RS1’s and it is a toss up between the two for AC/DC. The 240’s are pure power in your face rock and roll and the Grados aren’t too far behind but just a bit more refined. I did see Bon Scott preform live back in I guess 78 as they opened for Kiss and they were awesome. Bon Scott put Angus on his shoulders and ran around Freedom Hall (Louisville) as he just ripped it. Awesome concert.
That's outstanding! I'd give just about anything to have been at that concert. Is there a similar headphone comparable to the 240s that's easier to power? Do you think my little Fiio E6 would struggle with those cans?

Feb 8, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 15
I like the Grados sound as well,but I'd go for the M-100s in your case.The Grados arent portable and are open backed so everyone at the gym will hear Bon & Brian screaming.They sit on your ear,which can be uncomfortable and wont deliver as much slam on AC/DC as the M-100s will.

You can check my video review of the Grado 80e on my Youtube channel,but in your case I think the VModa is the way to go.

Feb 8, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 15
I like the Grados sound as well,but I'd go for the M-100s in your case.The Grados arent portable and are open backed so everyone at the gym will hear Bon & Brian screaming.They sit on your ear,which can be uncomfortable and wont deliver as much slam on AC/DC as the M-100s will.

You can check my video review of the Grado 80e on my Youtube channel,but in your case I think the VModa is the way to go.
Haha. Thanks bud. Headed to your channel

Feb 8, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 15
Is there a similar headphone comparable to the 240s that's easier to power?

The sextetts are glorious for rock and metal....again check my channel!
Grados are the closest in sound to the sextetts.
FWIW I have the LG V20 and it can actually drive my sextetts...its not the best pairing Ive heard,but it does suprisingly well driving these power hungry beasts.

Feb 8, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #12 of 15
I really don't know what sound signature I'm after here, flat like maybe? My understanding is that a V shape puts emphasis on highs and lows, leaving the mids a little recessed. What I do know is that I don't like an extremely bright sound, and I don't want something fatiguing. I'm fairly new to the world of headphones.

Those lines are exactly what I would have said myself a couple of years ago. The internet told me I should get a warm, bassy, non-sibilant headphone... in reality I preferred neutral to bright, less but well-controlled bass and I'm not sensitive to sibilance.

My advice: Don't buy anything. Go to a store and demo a few well regarded headphones with different sound signatures, preferably using familiar music. Then ask here again... at least you'll have a better idea of what you're after.

Feb 8, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #13 of 15
Those lines are exactly what I would have said myself a couple of years ago. The internet told me I should get a warm, bassy, non-sibilant headphone... in reality I preferred neutral to bright, less but well-controlled bass and I'm not sensitive to sibilance.

My advice: Don't buy anything. Go to a store and demo a few well regarded headphones with different sound signatures, preferably using familiar music. Then ask here again... at least you'll have a better idea of what you're after.
I've done this. Unfortunately there's only one store that has numerous headphones to try. I demoed a dozen or so with my G6. I ended up taking home the Audio Technica M40x. My 2nd favorite was the Beyerdynamic t51i, but the dual wires drove me bonkers, and the cable doesn't work with Android. Plus on ears are uncomfortable. I'm very happy with the M40x, but can't help but wonder if there's something that would please my ears even more. I also tried the Sennheiser HD1 on and over ear. Wasn't my cup of tea. Is it common for all manufacturers headphones to have the same sound signature across the board more or less, or does it vary drastically from set to set?

Feb 8, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #14 of 15
Another set of cans that caught my eye is the Hifiman Edition S. How do these cans stack up? I like the idea of having both open and closed options.

Feb 8, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #15 of 15
@Mhog55
It's variable, but companies do have a "house sound"... e.g Audio-Technicas tend to have neutral-to-bright signatures, whereas Sennheisers tend towards dark (at least with their HD500 and 600 series). There are exceptions though... e.g. Sennheiser HD800 are neutral.

That said, there are other qualities besides sound signature that will affect your enjoyment of a headphone. E.g. I didn't like the M50x because it's bass sounded uncontrolled... the FR graph can't tell you that.

I've not tried the M40x, but they reportedly can be improved with some cheap mods:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back