Cans/Amp/DAC combo, $500 Budget
Dec 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #16 of 22

It's because tubes are inherently more noise-prone that they can't be used in DACs.  Don't get me wrong - I love tubes and support pretty much only tube amps.  It's just that when it comes to a "tube" DAC, they're faking it.  The tube is a voltage gain amplifier applied to the output of a voltage-output DAC chip, the TI PCM1793.  It's pretty much the only way a tube can work with a DAC - as a voltage gain amplifier on the output of the DAC. It's also why the Aune T1 has a headphone output connection.

It may very well be that the voltage output amplifier of the DAC in the Aune T1 circuit is a tube-hybrid arrangement - meaning that the final output is SS, but the tube provides the gain.

Bottom line, when you see a "DAC" with a "tube," look closely.
wink.gif

I'm guessing what you mean in layman terms is that it is a ss dac + tube buffer + ss amp?

Most likely, the "ss amp" is a ss buffer.  "Tube buffer" is a bit of a misnomer.  They exist, but only with power tubes and massive power supplies (think of a tube speaker amp).  Tubes just aren't designed to provide current as opposed to voltage, which is what a buffer does.  Also, I'm not aware of any alternatives to a DAC chip that's not ss.  In this case, the DAC chip is a voltage output DAC: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1793.pdf, so the tube most likely provides the primary voltage gain.  (Conversely, there are many current-output DACs.)  In fact, it could simply be a tube hybrid amplifier circuit on the output of the DAC.  It sort of sounds like that from much of the online descriptions - even has a relay-delay to prevent voltage spikes on turn-on.  So, "DAC + tube amp + ss buffer" or simply, "DAC + tube hybrid amp" would be my guess, but please let me emphasize guess - I haven't seen the schematic.

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #17 of 22
Most likely, the "ss amp" is a ss buffer.  "Tube buffer" is a bit of a misnomer.  They exist, but only with power tubes and massive power supplies (think of a tube speaker amp).  Tubes just aren't designed to provide current as opposed to voltage, which is what a buffer does.  Also, I'm not aware of any alternatives to a DAC chip that's not ss.  In this case, the DAC chip is a voltage output DAC: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1793.pdf, so the tube most likely provides the primary voltage gain.  (Conversely, there are many current-output DACs.)  In fact, it could simply be a tube hybrid amplifier circuit on the output of the DAC.  It sort of sounds like that from much of the online descriptions - even has a relay-delay to prevent voltage spikes on turn-on.  So, "DAC + tube amp + ss buffer" or simply, "DAC + tube hybrid amp" would be my guess, but please let me emphasize guess - I haven't seen the schematic.

...waitttt... so what is the T1?!? 
blink.gif
 I am pretty sure from reading the descriptions it has a separate integrated solid state amp.

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #18 of 22

...waitttt... so what is the T1?!? 
blink.gif
 I am pretty sure from reading the descriptions it has a separate integrated solid state amp.

and there are statements elsewhere about it that say differently ...  Translations can be a problem; terms that we understand in English can get thrown around and confused.  I'm simply guessing by what I know of DACs, amps, and tubes.  It could very well be that there's an opamp on the line-outs, too.  It's all just conjecture, except the part about not being a "tube DAC."  That's where I started, but you seemed to want to put it in simpler terms, so I was trying to accommodate.
wink.gif

I doubt seriously that the tube is operating in any way other than as part of a tube-hybrid amplifier circuit, period.

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #19 of 22
  and there are statements elsewhere about it that say differently ...  Translations can be a problem; terms that we understand in English can get thrown around and confused.  I'm simply guessing by what I know of DACs, amps, and tubes.  It could very well be that there's an opamp on the line-outs, too.  It's all just conjecture, except the part about not being a "tube DAC."  That's where I started, but you seemed to want to put it in simpler terms, so I was trying to accommodate.
wink.gif

I doubt seriously that the tube is operating in any way other than as part of a tube-hybrid amplifier circuit, period.

this was my source that made me assume "tube DAC" - http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq
 Q: Does the Aune T1 DAC utilize the tube, does the T1 headphone amp section use the tube, or do they both use the tube? A: The Aune T1 is a USB tube DAC with a solid state headphone amp. What this means is that if you want the benefits of the tube, you must use the USB Input of the T1.  The amp section of the T1 does not use the tube by itself. Technically, you could bypass the DAC of the T1 and just use the amp but this type of use is not really what the T1 is for. One thing you can do is use the T1 USB input then hook up a different amp to the RCA out of the T1. This will give you the benefits of the tube and allow you to try a different/more powerful amp (though I think the amp in the T1 is quite good).  I personally have a speaker amp hooked up this way so I can use my headphones and some bookshelf speakers at the same time from one source.

hahaha... yes, simpler is good. my knowledge of amps in general is pretty limited. of course, more complex explanations are always very interesting for me but you'll have to dumb it down to layman's terms & explain things a bit more. honestly most of your post flew wayyy over my head 
rolleyes.gif

since you know so many fancy terms & i don't understand your post at all, I'll assume that you are more correct than the other head-fi-er. 
tongue.gif
 i'm too lazy to dig through that whole 240pg thread to find the real answer.

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #20 of 22
  this was my source that made me assume "tube DAC" - http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq

hahaha... yes, simpler is good. my knowledge of amps in general is pretty limited. of course, more complex explanations are always very interesting for me but you'll have to dumb it down to layman's terms & explain things a bit more. honestly most of your post flew wayyy over my head 
rolleyes.gif

since you know so many fancy terms & i don't understand your post at all, I'll assume that you are more correct than the other head-fi-er. 
tongue.gif
 i'm too lazy to dig through that whole 240pg thread to find the real answer.

yea I don't remember how it works, but the T1 is a Tube Dac, I've seen tube loving JUNKIES use the T1 and a tube amp with it for DOUBLE TUBEY SEX magic 

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #22 of 22
  I found some DT 990's (600 ohm) and an Aune t1 for around 350 together, would this be a good combo? 

Honestly, I think you would enjoy it :3 the T1 has plenty enough power to drive the dt990 and the DT 990 LOVES tubes! If you can get it GO FOR it! I think you;d be very happy with that :D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back