Canon Rebel T1i
Mar 16, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 34
try cnet if you haven't but from what iv herd it seems to still hold up compared to the other newer rebels (the cheaper ones at least) but as i know it doesn't take video i don't know if that s a big deal to you but for me it would probity keep me from buying it but i have needs for video

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #6 of 34
i have this camra its exelent i got it on sale from my local shop last yearand yes the video is chopy at 1080 but i dont shoot video but when i do i set it to 720 and the bilt in mic picks up every thing even if you dont want to and theres no mic jack you would need to go with the t2i or up .as for photos its great any canon would do i think i got the kit lens and a 50mm 1.8 and grabed a 70-300 f4 on craigs list ef-s or ef lens will fit  this is my second dslr the first was a d30 i got at a garadge sale for fifty bucks and it broke after 6 weeks so i got a new one since i liked it so much .i would recomend a new neck strapand at lest a 4gb card will get 158 raw /127 raw and jpeg 17mins of 720 video .and a spare battery for shoting allday . the battery  last though the whole card and almost another 4gb card .the charge on the battery last weeks if you dont use it much . and for a tip i cary one lens when walking around and keep the extra charged batt, and a second card with a mico cleaning cloth in an altoids can to keep my cary weight down . if you get a filter get a hood to if you are shooting out side in the sun light . i leave the camera on althe time so as soon as you press the shutter button it wakes up and ready to shoot , ileave it like this and it doesnt drain the batt  almost at all .hope this helps

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #8 of 34
I present, for your consideration:

DXO Mark Sensor Comparison

At the moment, I would personally go Nikon or Pentax. My experience with Canon is that the sensors aren't up there with either Nikon or Pentax, and the Rebel bodies are far from the finest. The non-rebel Canons have fine, even great bodies, but I'm not a fan of any of the Rebels.

Are you planning on purchasing lenses? Generally, Canon and Nikon both have a large supply of fantastic zoom lenses, if you're interested. Most of them cost as much, if not more than the body though.

Pentax, as more of a niche company, specializes in uber-high quality prime lenses (fixed focal length.) If that's your thing, I can recommend them. If you're into zooms, Canon or Nikon would likely be a better option.

Check out the reviews for each of them on dpreview.com, and keep in mind that the T1i is rapidly becoming outdated.

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #9 of 34

Quote:
I present, for your consideration:

DXO Mark Sensor Comparison

At the moment, I would personally go Nikon or Pentax. My experience with Canon is that the sensors aren't up there with either Nikon or Pentax, and the Rebel bodies are far from the finest. The non-rebel Canons have fine, even great bodies, but I'm not a fan of any of the Rebels.

Are you planning on purchasing lenses? Generally, Canon and Nikon both have a large supply of fantastic zoom lenses, if you're interested. Most of them cost as much, if not more than the body though.

Pentax, as more of a niche company, specializes in uber-high quality prime lenses (fixed focal length.) If that's your thing, I can recommend them. If you're into zooms, Canon or Nikon would likely be a better option.

Check out the reviews for each of them on dpreview.com, and keep in mind that the T1i is rapidly becoming outdated.

Yeah I'm kinda looking for zoom lenses, but lately I've been leaning really heavily on the D3100 or something better and this pretty much confirms my line of thinking as far as the outdating, price, and just the lack of "quality" (in quotes because we're splitting hairs here) that the Rebel T1i has to the D3100 along with other camera of that price range.

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #10 of 34
Well the D3100 sounds like a good choice then. The low light performance is awesome for the price point.

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #13 of 34
f/1.8 refers to the aperture of the lens, the lower the number the greater the amount of light on the cameras sensor.

http://www.idigitalphoto.com/aperture-explained/

Prime lenses such as the 35mm I used have a fixed focal range making f/1.8 possible, the majority of zoom lenses start at f/3.5 and above.

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #14 of 34

Quote:
 Canon and Nikon both have a large supply of fantastic zoom lenses, if you're interested. Most of them cost as much, if not more than the body though.

Huh?  I personally think Canon zooms, even L zooms, are good but not all *that.*  On the other hand, canon primes are fantabulous, especially the 35L, 85L II, 135L.  Even the non-L primes are fabulous, e.g. 85 f1.8, 100 f2, even 50 f1.4, even the cheapish 35 f2..

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #15 of 34
Most people recommend to steer clear of canon rebels.  I would go with the Nikon.  But do your research.  www.dpreview.com is a good resource.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back