Canon Digital Rebel XT vs. Pentax *ist DS
Mar 12, 2005 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
Well, I've been looking into getting a digital SLR. And so far I've narrowed my choices down to either the Canon EOS 350D (Digital Rebel XT) or the Pentax *ist DS.

They are nearly the same size. I compared the them side by side at a store. THe 350D is definitel lighter weight. Got to shoot some pics with the 350D. I don't like the stock lense at all.

So since I don't own any SLR lenses, I'll be starting from scratch. So it really depends on which lens system I will like better.

Of course, the problem is, Pentax is sorely lacking lenses available right now. I don't want to use old ones that won't have autofocus capabilities.

And I'm starting to favor 50mm 1.4 lenses. Or perhaps 50 or 60mm 2.8 ish Macro lenses. I would like a lense that is good for standard 1:1 photos (portrait and small groups) and macro.

Any recommendations for lenses?

-Ed

Mar 12, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 77
The classic portraiture lens is between 90 to 135mm, 35mm coverage. You'll have to get the correct multiplier for the digital SLR to figure out equivalent coverage.

Mar 12, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 77
The Canon EF lenses all work with the Digital Rebels. One great thing about the Canon is that they make a 50m/F1.8 lens for $70. I bought the Rebel kit and got the 50mm lens. It takes great portraits.

Mar 12, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 77
May I also suggest the Olympus EVOLT (E300) The Evolt kit with the two lenses is around $1100 U.S. it is a steal from what I've heard. The two lenses give you around 28 mm to 200 mm focal length. And, to top it all off, these lenses are supposed to be very good.

"However, these zooms are of exceptional quality, provide even, high quality imaging across the sensor plane, and they are fully weatherproof and rugged to complement the camera body." - forum member on dpreview.com

and if you look on dpreview, there are a few other good comments as well.

Mar 12, 2005 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 77
I went with the Nikon D70 kit, on which there is $200 in rebates through the end of the month. I have used Nikon equipment for well over 30 years and find my comfort there. Canon is a close second as to personal choice.

What I have seen recently is that the Rebel XT tops the *ist handily in functionality, adjustability, image quality, and system. You may want to look at the most recent Popular Photography, which tests the two you mention against five others (www.popularphotography.com.)

Of the two you mention, if not already invested in modern Pentax glass, my choice of the two would be the XT. But consider the D70 for the same money (my kit netted out at $907.00) which ranked above both the XT and the *ist in the (subjective) review.

Lenses: I've gone with mostly Nikkor glass (exception is a top rated 90mm Tamron macro; that would be a 135mm equivalent macro, Ed, pretty much right down your alley). Three zooms (and a 1.7 teleconverter) cover my working range; 12mm-24mm, 18mm-70mm, and 80mm-200mm. With a magnification correction of 1.5 for the D70 sensor, the 12mm-24mm is a wonderful ultrawideangle with no current counterpart in the Canon line. My 80mm-200mm is an f2.8 vibration reduction (Nikon licenses image stabilization technology from Canon) lense which is truely marvelous; there's a Canon like this in their line. With the Nikon SB600 Speedlight with i-TTL and auto everything, I'm having way too much fun.

Mar 12, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #7 of 77
I don't own either, but photography is another hobby so I keep up on my digital photography reading. Both of those are indeed good cameras and it would be hard to choose. However, from what I've read the slight nod would have to go to the Canon.

Above and beyond technical merit alone, another thing you should consider is that Canon has been at the forefront of digital photography for some time now and shows absolutely no signs of wavering from that post. If you're going to invest a lot of money in extra lenses, external flashes, etc. it's nice to know that whenever the next great crop of digital cameras comes out, tempting you to upgrade, one of those top cameras will likely be a Canon. That means you stand a good chance of being able to carry-over a lot of your extra gear.

Mar 12, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 77
I currently own the Canon 20D but I have owned pretty well every brand at one time or another. Every major brand have excellent lenses and some real dogs. Just like headphone and amps, the only person that matters is you since you are the one using it.

I have just recently made the transition from film to digital, although I still own three other manual focus film cameras.

When I went shopping, I was impressed with the Nikon D70. A very nice camera with a good kit lens supplied and Nikon has been coming up with some really nice glass recently. As Old Pa mentioned the new 12-24 f4 lens is a superb piece of kit. Canon has an equivalent in the 10-22 f3.5-4.5 EFS USM.

My experience with Pentax pre-dates autofocus. They have some really nice manual focus lenses but I have never tried their autofocus lenses. I had considered the Pentax as a travel camera but it will make more sense for me to purchase an XT for when I want to travel light.

In the end I bought the 20D because I had several Canon L lenses already.

In the Canon range, the 50 f1.8 is a very nice piece of glass. Looks cheap as hell with its plastic mount but is superb optically and very inexpensive. With the XT it will give you a nice portrait lens equivalent to 80mm on a full frame. For more money you can get the 50mm f1.4 USM. Better build quality and faster/silent autofocus because of the USM. The 85 1.8 is also a very good lens which will give you around 136mm. Great for very tight shots or when a person is a bit shy and you can put more distance between you and the subject. As far as macro. Canon recently announced a new 60mm 2.8 macro lens that will give you an equivalent of 96mm and 1:1 macro capabilities. The older 50mm 2.5 macro will take you to 1:2, is a very fine lens and relatively inexpensive.

In then end, its the person behind the gear that makes the greatest difference.

Mar 12, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #10 of 77
But I am going to pitch in with an opinion - fit is more important than "ability".

That is, very often the features and perceived quality / ability of the camera overrides how the camera works, fits in the hands, and is used by the actual photographer.

This is a mistake.

Personal ergonomics is the most important thing you should look for in a camera. How it fits you, how you like using its features and controls, how it feels in your hands. Some incredible photographs have been made with technically "inferior" cameras but ones that the photographer actually liked using. If you choose a camera solely based upon features, but hate holding the thing because it just feels uncomfortable to you, you won't use it. Or, you won't use it to it's best ability. It is just a tool, no more, and a tool you do not like nor really want to use ends up making poor output.

Each company has a particular design style that classical shows up in their products. I am not sure if a lot of people notice it but it is there.

Nikon usually goes for a large body made up of rather straight surfaces interfacing into one another in modestly rounded corners. Controls are usually a bit on the large side as well. The design seems well suited for those of larger hands on those who seek the most classic camera interface feel - keeping in (Nikon's) mind of "professional market".

Canon usually goes for a midlarge body made up rather straight surfaces interfacing with modest corners with curves added. Canon will go with more pushbuttons than Nikon, who usually prefers larger dials with locks when necessary. Controls are medium sized. Design seems suited for average to larger hands, on a person not afraid to embrace the high tech.

Pentax (as noted in their literature, "smallest digital SLR") goes for a small body made up of sloping surfaces with corners. Pentax tows the middle ground in controls - analog nor buttons have preference, both OK. Design of optics a bit "conservative" - you will not often see a "radical", edgy expensive ("exotic") piece of glass from Pentax as soon as Canon or Nikon (big aperture super-teles, fisheyes, shift lenses, etc.). Design seems suited for small to average hands.

Olympus is somewhat like Pentax - smaller is a bit better, unlocked controls, etc (the "big hayday" of Olympus and Pentax seems, regretfully, over so both companies target what they have always focused on, a "camera ubiquity" by making the designs smaller and therefore more convenient). Canon and Nikon have classicaly targeted pro and very advanced users.

YMMV

Mar 12, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #11 of 77
As much as I like the D70's features and the Nikkor lenses, I really hate the shape and feel of the D70 body. Nikon has never been one to embrace the miniaturization philosophy.

I played with the Olympus E300, and boy did I hate it. It was slow, unweildly to use in my hands. And their lense choices are not all that great to put it mildy.

Sounds like going down the Pentax line will help keep things simple. Heck, the first SLR I ever used was the legendary K1000. (yes, I appreciate the irony here. )

But I find myself drawn to the exotic range of glass that Canon has to offer. Which kind of scares me, since I already have a wallet sucking hobby right here.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Mar 13, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #13 of 77
I couldn't live with only one lens. In SLR's I like primes too much, and in cameras I have an (expensive) taste for those "exotics". My (soul) would be screaming right now over that but it turned out a great "investment" (and when you call the overall dollars spent to be in the "investment" category you know you're in deep, deep trouble).

If I really only had one lens to choose for most people I'd say a 35-135 to be the best choice - modest wide angle (interior group shots and good "tourist snapshot" category) to sweet spots of portraiture. Also, a lot of glass makers have put some real development into that range - thanks to it being popular with "must get the shot" pros like weddings and such - and there is some great quality items out. But it depends upon the user - if you are into wildlife then forget the wide angle and go for a 100-300 or somesuch. But what I would do is spend the extra money to get a large aperture version of whatever I buy - you have no idea how nice those extra apertures are until you use a lens that has them. Very addictive. Not too mention the fact that the wide aperture versions of these lenses are usually much better made than the more common, "consumer" versions.

Should be for the price they ask (beware sticker shock!).

Those exotics might be a gleem in your eye but be truthful - if you are not going to buy them don't get enticed by them in the showroom windows. Look at them honestly - the big stuff is big money - and see if you are truly interested or just window shopping.

What you might like to do is analyize your camera usage. When I was using SLRs I used primes in my preferred ranges - 24 (f2), 50 (didn't use it often but f1.4 is just too handy), 180 (f2.8), 350 (f2.8). The 350 ended up my very favorite - wildlife - but at over 8lbs for the lens alone it took commitment
tongue.gif
. Everything else I filled in with zooms (I didn't "do" people shots
tongue.gif
). Save the money to where it's needed but make sure you cover your bases.

A good flash will also be needed along with a remote cable for same - the built-in flash is just too limited. Remote control for tripod use.

So try to figure out how much you'd like to invest into this hobby and pace yourself within that long-term plan. Be realistic, that's the goal.

Mar 13, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #14 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
As much as I like the D70's features and the Nikkor lenses, I really hate the shape and feel of the D70 body. Nikon has never been one to embrace the miniaturization philosophy.

I played with the Olympus E300, and boy did I hate it. It was slow, unweildly to use in my hands. And their lense choices are not all that great to put it mildy.

Sounds like going down the Pentax line will help keep things simple. Heck, the first SLR I ever used was the legendary K1000. (yes, I appreciate the irony here. )

But I find myself drawn to the exotic range of glass that Canon has to offer. Which kind of scares me, since I already have a wallet sucking hobby right here.
biggrin.gif

Interesting you say that about Nikon - that's my problem with them also. That's why I told you to hold them and see. I can't stand holding a number of Nikon SLRs in my hand and therefore I simply could never use them - they simple never "fit" me. Before I got into the photo business I was looking for a new camera system and back then it was "Nikon, and everyone else". But I couldn't stand them. Sure, they took awesome pictures but as soon as I picked it up...I wanted to put it down. Simply never worked for me. If I had bought one it would have ended up collecting dust in the closet.

That's why I say, fit is more important than features. If you like to use it you will want to use it, and that's 2/3rds the battle.

Scratch the Olympus too. It simply didn't work for you. Go with your guts, that's what I did, and I was never sorry (well, just in one aspect but not with the overall camera).

And yes, big glass = big sucking noises in your wallet
tongue.gif
Does Tamron make any nice autofocus glass for the Pentax that you like? Tamron has always made nice stuff so don't be afraid of going that route. The other third party guys, for me....*shrug*

Mar 13, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #15 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Well, it seems that the Canon 350D is winning me over more and more I compare the two.

Either the case. With each respective camera (*ist DS or Rebel XT), if you had to live with only one lense. Which would it be?

How about 24-70mm 2.8L and 70-200mm 2.8L for the Canon? It's about $1100+ each though
tongue.gif

I myself use 24mm 2.8 (only use wider angle outside in daylight), 50mm 1.4 (nice for inside), and am planning on 85mm 1.8 (nice inside and more portratish), and 100-300 5.6L (i only zoom during the daytime)

Funny about Pentax K1000. I see that often in google search results also when looking for K1000
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back