Canon 50D vs. 40D Upgrade?
Sep 5, 2008 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

panik343

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

I was just informed of a new canon camera called the 50D.

Canon EOS 50D: Digital Photography Review

I'm currently shooting with a 40D and I was wondering if you guys think it would be worth the upgrade. (I would be keeping both bodies) I already have an ample supply of lenses, so body is the next thing in the inevitable upgrade cycle. Do you guys think it would be worth it upgrading when it comes out, assuming there is nothing wrong with it?

Here is an entire review of the 40D for those who are not informed about it enough to help me make this decision.

Canon EOS 40D Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Thanks,
-Mike

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you might want to post this in Gear-fi thread.

There is a HUGE Canon thread for you to get answers

Thanks, I'll give it a shot and we'll see what happens.

Sep 5, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 20
are the new features and upgrade gonna benefit you ? or can you do without it/

do you do photography for a living?

Sep 5, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 20
I'm still waiting on the 5d II. If it's announced in the near future, I'll probably be picking one up and selling my 40D to a friend at a deep discount just to get more friends into photography.

If no 5D II, then I'll probably upgrade to the 50D. I don't think it's really worth upgrading though. You get better ISO performance, which is the only thing on the 50D that interests me, but I'm fine with my 40D's ISO performance since I use flash almost all the time.

Sep 7, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 20
What are your specific needs? If you just want a second body that'll cover most tasks, then a second 40D or a 5D when the next version comes out so you'll save money. I myself need a 1Ds Mark III
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #7 of 20
I would agree with most of the above. The most meaningful upgraded would be a 5D for its full size sensor.

The pricing on the 50D is quite a bit above the 40D, too.

Sep 7, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 20
I think only you know how much $ you have, how much something is worth, and your priorities. If you don't know, don't get anything. This is one of those cases where if you have to ask, you don't need it. Wait for the next model.

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 20
I still own my 20D
biggrin.gif
I haven't felt the need to upgrade to 30D or 40D but now that the 50D will be available soon I guess I'll take the plunge. It's not about the megapixels, I can still live with 8MP. It's more about a better AF, better image processing and I am not afraid to say : better screen!

But it all depends what you shoot generally. If I was not into widllife and needed to benefit from the 1.6x crop factor I would definitely upgrade to a 5D, even a used one can be found for $1600.

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #11 of 20
I would stick with the 40D. It appears that the new one isn't getting many good reviews both for high Iso and dynamic range. If you dont need the extra pixels you are better off spending the money on glass.

Nov 8, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #12 of 20
Dimitris is correct, the 40D does have better dynamic range and lower high-ISO noise, which are inherent results of squeezing more pixels onto the same size sensor. Though the 50D does support UDMA which is always good, has Digic 4, and a new interface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back