Cannot sample at 192khz
Mar 15, 2008 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sschmeichel

Head-Fier
i am using a laptop and a musiland md-10 dac.

I am connecting the laptop to the musiland dac via usb.

I am sorry if this has been asked before...

I cannot use anything past 48khz sampling. Even when i upsample to 96khz using software, i cannot seem get the md-10 to output it.

What's the best way I can enjoy a higher sampling rate? I use foobar2000 v0.9.5 and use the secret rabbit code DSP to upsample...

(I hope i made sense, am a noob... so if i screw up some terms, feel free to correct me)

Thanks!

Mar 15, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #2 of 9
If the Musiland MD-10 uses the default Windows USB drivers (i.e. you just plug it in and it works without its own drivers), you'll probably be limited to 16-bit/48 kHz over USB. The only way to go higher is to use one of the DAC's S/PDIF inputs instead.

Mar 15, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 9
The problem is that most USB sound cards are limited to 16-bit/48 kHz... It might be difficult to find a reasonably-priced USB audio interface that allows higher bit depths and sampling rates. The E-MU 0404 USB can do it, but that's overkill for your purposes.

I found software upsampling added an artificial quality to the sound, even with Secret Rabbit Code. You might be better off just sending your music at its native rate (16-bit/44.1 kHz for CDs).

Mar 19, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 9
Hmm... so I bought a Musiland external usb card to go with my Musiland MD-10, now i have a new problem... I can upsample to 96khz, however... it will periodically lose connection... (the md10 will indicate that there is no input)... and it will click back and forth between 96khz and no signal (btw, is that bad for the md10 if it clicks back and forth quickly between the two modes?)

Mar 19, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #7 of 9
If you're plugged into a USB 1.1 jack, I'm pretty sure you won't have the bandwidth to sample at anything above 48kHz. Make sure you're plugged into a USB 2.0 jack.

If it works now, you probably are. In my experience, SRC has been very CPU intensive especially without ASIO. With my 0404 using direct sound, I can't run SRC at 96kHz using the best settings without problems. Try using the fastest sync interpolator instead of the best one.

Mar 19, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #9 of 9
I am plugged in to a 2.0 usb, but still this thing intermittently losses signal... i have checked cpu usage... there is nothing abnormal. Even if I am not playing music, it will still "click" (losing signal sometimes)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back