Cannot really hear Dayton 1000 with Lepai LP2020
Oct 24, 2013 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tyler972

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased the Dayton B652s with the Lepai LP2020A amp and a Dayton Sub 1000.  When I connect the sub straight to my computer I get a lot of bass but when I connect with the Lepai I lose a lot of the base and I have to turn the gain on the sub almost all the way up.  How can I fix this?

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 6
You are going to want to follow this order for connecting components:

PC (3.5mm output) > Lepai (RCA input)
Lepai (speaker outputs) > Sub (high-level inputs)
Sub (high-level outputs) > Speakers

You will then want the sub gain at about 40%, phase at 0, and set the crossover on the sub to 80Hz.  See how this sounds, you may need to adjust the crossover higher depending on how soon those Daytons begin to rolloff.

Oct 27, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 6
This is how I have it setup I double checked to make sure things were connected in that order.  I set the gain to 40% and the crossover to 80Hz and the phase is at 0 and I can't hear it, I can just start to hear the sub at about 80% gain.  I am using RCA to stereo to connect the Lepai to my computer, and I am using the 20 AWG wire that came with the Dayton B652 speakers to connect everything.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #5 of 6
This is how I have it setup I double checked to make sure things were connected in that order.  I set the gain to 40% and the crossover to 80Hz and the phase is at 0 and I can't hear it, I can just start to hear the sub at about 80% gain.  I am using RCA to stereo to connect the Lepai to my computer, and I am using the 20 AWG wire that came with the Dayton B652 speakers to connect everything.

How big is your room and how far away do you sit from the sub? Also check the polarity of all your connections, red to red etc.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 6
80% does seem kind of high to have to set the gain.

If you like the way that the sub sounds better running directly from the computer, you can choose to split the audio output from the computer and run it to both the Lepai and the Dayton. Treat the Lepai volume like the gain and match the two. Set the Lepai volume somewhere around 12 or 1 o'clock, just before wherever the amp starts to distort with all the Windows volumes set to 100%, then use Windows volume control from then on to raise the volume up and down, with the sub gain set to match the Lepai's output to the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back