Cannot Decide
Apr 6, 2015 at 9:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

pelicansfly

New Head-Fier
I live in Canada and I have been searching for the right headphones for the past few weeks, but I am having a difficult time deciding what headphones to choose. I currently own the sony MDR-XB500's and am looking for an upgrade. I will be playing music out of this cheap device plugged into my laptop.
http://www.startech.com/m/Cards-Adapters/Sound/USB-Audio/USB-20-to-Audio-Adapter~ICUSBAUDIO
I am looking for headphones with an emphasis on bass, but I want a better sound quality than the MDR-XB500's. I also mainly listen to electronic music.
I am looking for headphones that are around $200 and so far I have come across these headphones...
beyerdynamic dt 770 80 ohms
V-MODA Crossfade M-100
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Sennheiser Momentum
The reason I have had a difficult time deciding is because I live in Canada and the prices vary so much.
Any advice on what headphones I should or should not get out of the ones listed or any new headphone recommendations would be appreciated!

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 12
For your application, I think I would try the Vmoda M100.

What would be your next best recommendation for my purposes?  The only reason I ask this is because the Vmoda M100 is the headphone in my list that is over my budget.  If I were to get these I may have to wait a while for them to go on sale and wait for when I have enough money to spare.

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 12
  I don't want to blaspheme here but - electronic music with an emphasis on bass - don't count out the Beats at $200.

I think I am going to stay away from beats.  A lot of people I know own them, and most of them have had them broken in some way.

Why not the Momentum?

I am considering the momentum, is there any specific reason I should get the momentum over other headphones?

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 12
  It seems like you are listening to the headphones mainly at home ? If so you could go with the ATH M50 which are cheaper and some of the most popular studio-headphones.

Yeah they will be used at home.  I was initially set on getting these headphones due to the popularity and price, but then so many other options showed up through my research and I couldn't decide. My only fear with them is the amount of bass.  I see a lot of people complain that there is not enough bass in these headphones, but I am assuming those people are bassheads.  I don't really know if I am a basshead or not, as I haven't really listened to anything other than the MDR-XB500's, which is a monster when it comes to amounts of overpowering bass.

Apr 6, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 12
  I think I am going to stay away from beats.  A lot of people I know own them, and most of them have had them broken in some way.

I am considering the momentum, is there any specific reason I should get the momentum over other headphones?

They are more of an upgrade than the M50x, are less expensive than the M-100, do not need an amp (the Beyer does), and have lots of bass. At least that is one line of thinking... The idea of saving some money and buying the M50x has its appeal, as well, if you wish to save some money, as mentioned above. Decisions, decisions. I must say, all that being said, the M-100 still may be the can among all these that meets your needs best. Unfortunately, it is the most expensive.:frowning2:

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 12
I think I am going to wait for the M100's to go on sale and buy those because it seems like the perfect headphone for my needs. If I can't wait then I will probably buy the M50's compared to the momentums because they are a lot cheaper than the momentums. This is what I think now, unless someone decides to change my mind. Thanks for all of the advice guys!

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #11 of 12
You could go to a bigger electronic store and listen to several headphones to get a feeling how much bass you want and maybe they also have the ATH M50 and/or the M100. When you are going to purchase the M100 you should also buy the XL Pads because some People have problems with the cushion not being deep enough and the ear getting sore plus it adds a litle bit of depth in the soundstage :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back