CanMania 2014 @ Capital Audiofest: Impressions & Reports
Jul 27, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #46 of 123
Day 2

Somehow I totally missed Cavalli Audio on Day 1, but found them on Saturday with the help of Grinding Thud. Very impressed with both the Liquid Gold and the Liquid Glass amps. The Liquid Gold sounded transparent, clean, and powerful with the LCD-X--definitely an amp that gets out of the way of the music. Great soundstage, no hint of harshness and fast crisp dynamics. I also tried it with the Abyss. The Abyss sounded fine, but there was nothing revelatory about the signature, and I prefer the Audezes and the usual TOTL suspects. There was a lot of ambient noise that made it hard to assess the Abyss, so it might be another story under quiet conditions, but you can still hear the quality of the Audezes/HD800/HE-6 over the din.

The Liquid Glass amp was at the Cavalli table and Dan had one at the Mr. Speakers table--each with a different pair of tubes. I like this amp a lot and it sounded tremendous with the Alpha Dogs, the LCD-X and the HD-800. Dan's rig with the Alpha Dogs, Liquid Glass, and Auralic Vega was everything you can ask for in a closed can system. And how much were the super-tubes in Dan's Liquid Glass?  $30 for the pair.
beyersmile.png
It seems like the signature of Liquid Glass can be easily shaped with different tubes--and you don't have to roll uber rare tubes to get high-level performance.

Dan also had a Lyr 2/Bifrost Uber powering the Alpha Dogs. The sound was warm and clean, but without quite the soundstage and dynamics of the Liquid Glass/Vega.

I'm not a big IEM guy (yet), but I spent some time at the Noble Audio table--auditioning the Noble 4, 6, and Kaiser 10. They all sounded top notch--ranging from the slightly agressive Noble 4 to the very refined sound of the Kaiser 10. The sweet spot for me was the Noble 6--great detail, sense of space, and an exciting listen with a balanced reference signature.Mostly listened out of a Chord Hugo/AK120, but they still sound very good direct out of an iPad.

Like a moth to the flame, I was back at the Stereodesk/Profundo table for another listen to the Crayon CHA-1 and Mal Valve Head Amp Three. The Mal Valve has a superb rich and musical sound with the LCD-3 and the LCD-X--with every detail perfectly resolved. If you need (and can afford) an endgame amp that powers dynamic/orthos and Stax--the Mal Valve is amazing. I also had another listen to the Crayon CHA-1--this time with HE-6s. I've heard the HE-6s on a lot of amps that aren't up to the task--and they don't sound good. The Crayon has no problem powering the HE-6s and showing off their true potential. The future version will also power Stax phones. Some power problems prevented me from listening to the Viva Egoista again, but it's fun to look at--even turned off.

Jul 27, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #47 of 123
Hi, Kevin here. I enjoyed the meet, and the canmania room. It was a pleasure meeting everyone, and trying out many headphones for the very first time!

Came to the meet tro try out HD-800s mainly. I was impressed, but decided that i'll stick with these LCD-2's for the time being :)

Jul 27, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #48 of 123
Day 2

Like a moth to the flame, I was back at the Stereodesk/Profundo table for another listen to the Crayon CHA-1 and Mal Valve Head Amp Three. The Mal Valve has a superb rich and musical sound with the LCD-3 and the LCD-X--with every detail perfectly resolved. If you need (and can afford) an endgame amp that powers dynamic/orthos and Stax--the Mal Valve is amazing. I also had another listen to the Crayon CHA-1--this time with HE-6s. I've heard the HE-6s on a lot of amps that aren't up to the task--and they don't sound good. The Crayon has no problem powering the HE-6s and showing off their true potential. The future version will also power Stax phones. Some power problems prevented me from listening to the Viva Egoista again, but it's fun to look at--even turned off.

The LCD-x sounded really nice on the viva, and I do not particularly like audeze. Good sense of spacing and detail. The he-6 on crayon sounds fabulous, particularly when he switched to the méiter dac on Saturday. It sounded like what I hear with a good speaker amp, which for 13K, probably it should.

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #49 of 123
The LCD-x sounded really nice on the viva, and I do not particularly like audeze. Good sense of spacing and detail. The he-6 on crayon sounds fabulous, particularly when he switched to the méiter dac on Saturday. It sounded like what I hear with a good speaker amp, which for 13K, probably it should.

I listened to the Viva on Friday with the LCD-3/X and thought it sounded great--a lot of richness and detail. The 560 and the 400i are such a big step forward in sound, I think the new HiFiMan flagship will quickly eclipse the HE-6.

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #50 of 123

I listened to the Viva on Friday with the LCD-3/X and thought it sounded great--a lot of richness and detail. The 560 and the 400i are such a big step forward in sound, I think the new HiFiMan flagship will quickly eclipse the HE-6.

i am not sure they are a step forward in sound -- they are a step forward in efficiency i think.  the he-6 is wonderfully transparent and revealing of the other components.  it is hard to get it right but if you have quality it will show it.  but we will see.   

Jul 27, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #51 of 123

I thought the HE-560 was only supposed to replace the HE-500.  Are you sure it's supposed to be the new flagship?

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #55 of 123

the Viva was glorious w/ my LCD-3s w/ Fazor!!
That CD deck was mean too 
o2smile.gif

Agreed sir!

and @bearFNFs  Leckerton UHA760 + AK120 w/ my Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (w/ Double Helix Cables by @scootermafia Molecule Elite - the headphone was transformed with this rig - and my boy Bowei heard it w/ my Audio360 crew and Bob heard it!!!!!) - the bottom end slam gained control, plus the mids opened up & stopped shouting, and the highs opened-up too!!!!

This was FUN:

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #56 of 123
Hey guys, would have loved to have met all of you, and was packed up and ready to head up (i'm 30 min south of where the meet CanMania was) but I had a sick child so I couldn't make it. I will definately make it next time and hopefully to any meet in the local area!

Love seeing your pictures and impressions! Looked like a great time!

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #58 of 123
I had a blast. Great gear, headphones, amps. Really enjoyed the new LCD-2 among others.

I had fun chatting with the "Deja Vu kids".

Tristan, thanks for setting up the Jolida DAC listen....great stuff...sorry to have missed you at the end.  I think I may have found my speakers for my small listening room at an affordable price
smile.gif

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #59 of 123
I'm bummed to have missed this, guys!  Had family in town.  I hope the turnout warrants an annual DC meet!

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #60 of 123
Guys just still getting organized from the trip- I will be posting pictures here and on headfi and headphone.guru soon. Wanted to thank the guys for coming and helping make the CanMania special.  I will keep everyone poste and looking forward to next year -different dates and different hotel so stay tubed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back