CanMania 2014 @ Capital Audiofest: Impressions & Reports
Aug 2, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #121 of 123
Thanks for the reply! I have heard of the Smyth Realizer. Would love to try it but would never buy it unless if I got stupid rich. I would rather the spend the money on a better speaker setup or a really good headphone setup. Plus even if the sound stage is as big or bigger than speakers, headphones will still never be able to thump your chest or shake the walls like speakers. 

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #122 of 123

Thanks for sharing, man!! One thought: ever had an opportunity to try a Smyth Realizer? Even some of the most hardcore speaker-only guys have been converted by how perfectly it emulates speaker sound via headphones-- to the point that some professionals use it to mix using headphones while away from their studios. 

It's certainly not cheap, but it might be a great option for someone who has a speaker setup they love, but would like some of the flexibility and convenience afforded by headphones. Just a thought!! (And yeah, the SR-009 is pretty much stupid-good, so I hear ya there :p). 

Thanks for the reply! I have heard of the Smyth Realizer. Would love to try it but would never buy it unless if I got stupid rich. I would rather the spend the money on a better speaker setup or a really good headphone setup. Plus even if the sound stage is as big or bigger than speakers, headphones will still never be able to thump your chest or shake the walls like speakers. 

Sorry to be off-topic but... I use a subwoofer with headphones and my software or a Realiser to compensate for the lack of visceral bass with headphones. The floor rumbles and you can feel it in your chest when watching a movie in 7.1 surround. Some people also use tactile transducers with headphones for movies.

OK back to meet impressions...

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #123 of 123

Sorry to be off-topic but... I use a subwoofer with headphones and my software or a Realiser to compensate for the lack of visceral bass with headphones. The floor rumbles and you can feel it in your chest when watching a movie in 7.1 surround. Some people also use tactile transducers with headphones for movies.

OK back to meet impressions...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one.  I sometimes use my sub w/ headphones; I just turn off my power amp, and my preamp still feeds the sub and the headphone amp.  Only way to get that visceral impact w/ headphones, I agree.
I sometimes wonder if headphone "bassheads" are chasing something that can't be obtained - i.e., the physical sensation of bass that can't come through just the ears.  It may help explain Beats & etc.  And explain why some people are listening to their headphones too loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back