CanLanta 2013 May 4th Meet Impressions
May 9, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:
To my surprise Purk had the new matix dac demo unit on display, and had it set up for a blind comparison with the w4s 2 dac. His amp had a source toggle switch that made quick easy switching between both sources. I wasn't aware of which one was which until after the comparison when I took a peek at the wiring on the back of the amp. The w4s was on the left, the matix on the right, but he had the cabling reverse with the toggle switch. A few who thought they were picking the w4s were actually picking the matrix instead. I don't know if Purk did this intentionally or not but it was a smart move since turning the toggle switch to the left was actually selecting the dac on the right.

What I liked about the matrix was it's clean, colorless sound. The dac didn't impart any sound signature on it's own and just got out of way. The sound was very neutral, with a very wide sound stage, and great extension. But I ultimately prefer the w4s. It wasn't quiet as neutral as the matrix, but  it had more body, better depth and layering, and just a little more punch in the bass. But the matrix was still a great sounding dac and I liked it alot.

Quote:

So the Matrix DAC was the one at Switch-Left?  Quite clever of purk, I must say.  I remember thinking the one on the left looked much more substantial, so it "fit" with my impression of the sound - better, more substantial, greater clarity, etc.  On the other hand, I thought the Matrix box looked a little cheap.

At least I got the direction right (left) with everyone else.
wink.gif

Regarding the DAC shoot out, the "Switch-Left" is the W4S DAC-2, and "Switch-Right" is the Matrix X-Sabre DAC.  Hope that clear thing up a bit.  The DAC to the left of the amp is W4S Dac-2 while the right one is the Matrix X-Sabre.   Approximately 10 people have participated in the shootout, hopefully they can post their impression as well.  Thanks guys.

May 9, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #17 of 20
Oh ok, sorry for the mixup. I know when I looked at the back the wires from the matrix(dac on the right) was going into the left rca jacks, and the w4s(dac on the left) wires were plugged into the right rca jacks. I just assumed the switch  would correspond with the jacks on the back. Well in that case, I preferred the matrix.

May 17, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Regarding the DAC shoot out, the "Switch-Left" is the W4S DAC-2, and "Switch-Right" is the Matrix X-Sabre DAC.  Hope that clear thing up a bit.  The DAC to the left of the amp is W4S Dac-2 while the right one is the Matrix X-Sabre.   Approximately 10 people have participated in the shootout, hopefully they can post their impression as well.  Thanks guys.

OK - all I know is that Left was better than Right.
wink.gif
  And - you guys told me that it was unanimous with everyone else: Left.

BTW - I just penned a post in the Hi-End Audio forum section about Dsavitsk's (ECP Audio) Black Diamond and DAC.  Seems that my daughter's dedicated netbook was messed up, because when I got home, I couldn't listen to my HD600's at more than half-volume without hurting my hears.  Yet, I had it racked at the meet with HD600's.  So something was definitely wrong with how I had it connected.  Anyway - great amp and DAC, btw.  I just wish I had it set up right at the meet.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back