Canker sores (aka mouth ulcers)
Feb 16, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #32 of 54
I thought I kissed someone else, sorry Happy Camper. You do have rather soft lips though.
redface.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #41 of 54
I used to get them frequently. They only pop up now when I'm extremely stressed, not hydrating and eating lots of fried food (fast food, chips), or not sleeping enough for a couple days.

But now that I'm going to the gym regularly, eating extremely well and trying to sleep as much as possible (except tonight!) I'm doing pretty well avoiding them. I've found that numbing the pain with listerine and drinking hot herbal teas helps me get by until they go away in a few days.

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #42 of 54

Herpes. DO NOT GIVE ORAL SEX, AS THE PARTNER WILL CONTRACT HERPES IN THAT AREA. YOU CAN GIVE YOUR PARTNER HERPES EVEN WHEN THERE IS NO BREAKOUT, ALTHOUGH IT IS UNLIKELY.

Causes
Herpetic stomatitis is a contagious viral illness caused by Herpes virus hominis (also herpes simplex virus, HSV). It is seen mainly in young children. This condition is probably a child's first exposure to the herpes virus.
An adult member of the family may have a cold sore at the time the child develops herpetic stomatitis. More likely, no source for the infection will be discovered.

Symptoms  
  1. Blisters in the mouth, often on the tongue or cheeks   
  2. Decrease in food intake, even if the patient is hungry
  3. Difficulty swallowing (dysphagia)
  4. Drooling
  5. Fever (often as high as 104° Fahrenheit) may occur 1 -2 days before blisters and ulcers appear
  6. Irritability
  7. Pain in mouth
  8. Swollen gums
  9. Ulcers in the mouth, often on the tongue or cheeks -- these form after the blisters pop

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #43 of 54

Quote:
[size=medium]
Diet Recommendation with mouth ulcers home remedy: 
The most recommended diet for mouth ulcers are as follows -​
[/size]

1. [size=medium]
    Fruits – Apple should be eaten as it has bactericidal properties and banana as it prevents gastric ulcers and acts as protectant for internal mucosa.​
    [/size]
  2. [size=medium]
    Yogurt – Consume more yogurt as it contains acidophilus bacteria which can heal and prevent canker sores.​
    [/size]
  3. [size=medium]
    Avoid foods which can exacerbate the condition such a lemon, orange, pineapple, grapefruit, plum, tomato, cherry, walnut, vinegar, chocolate etc.​
    [/size]
  4. [size=medium]
    Moderate intake of meat​
    [/size]
  5. [size=medium]
    Eat more whole grains, green and leafy vegetables as these foods are rich in vitamin B complex.​
    [/size]
  6. [size=medium]
    Reduce alcohol consumption, vinegar, coffee and chewing gum.​
    [/size]
  7. [size=medium]
    Avoids foods containing enough sugar or salt.​
    [/size]
  8. [size=medium]
    Avoid dairy products, oily foods, cakes and candies.​
    [/size]

Thank you and welcome to our forums. I hope you stay for the hobby.

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #44 of 54
@Xaborus - herpes has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Herpes ulcers are quite different from canker sores.

Earlier this week I visited the dentist and was told that my gums are inflamed, most likely due to a dry mouth which is probably due to the fact that I usually sleep with my mouth open. To fight the dry mouth, my dentist suggest I use a mouthwash such as Biotene. Apparently Biotene may also help fight against canker sores, so I'll see how it works out.

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #45 of 54
The OP doesn't have herpes. I get mouth ulcers often, though they tend to come and go in phases. Here's what works for me to keep things under control:

1. Try using toothpaste that doesn't contain SLS (sodium laureth / lauryl sulphate), that seemed to make the largest difference for me. It's fine when used on the skin as it is with many shampoos and shower gels but I reckon it tends to be too strong when used in the mouth.
  2. Don't use a mouthwash that contains alcohol as that can irritate things further. Try something like Dentyl that's alcohol-free and adheres to bacteria in order to pull them from the mouth.
  3. De-stress. For me, nothing causes ulcers more than being stressed out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back