CanJam SoCal 2023 Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #271 of 488
Section 2: Amps, Amps, everywhere...
Honestly this may have been my favorite parts of the show. This year I brought my special ZMF Caldera to the show in order to test it on different solid state amps. As a die hard tube fan, I really need to expand my horizon and this was just the chance.

Winners:

1. T + A HA200: This is quite the machine. Compact, attractive, and fantastic overall sound quality. They also demonstrated how you can adjust the impedance to fit the headphones you're using. We adjusted for the Caldera to my preference of around 30. With the same built in dac that the dac200 uses, this is just a one stop shop of awesome sound. The only downside for me is that you aren't able to utilize the dac section to an external amp. Meaning, I'd have to have a separate dac for my beloved Aegis amp. Eric from T+A was my partner for the HE-1 and was a pleasure to be around.
cj1.jpg

2. Mass Kobo 433: Wait, I must mean the flagship 465, right? No! This small form factor amp blew me away and competed toe to toe with the big boys. The Utopia absolutely SLAMMED on this, and the caldera sounded fantastic. All this running on a topping stack. I also got to practice my Japanese with Masuda San. I could tell he was impressed, although he didn't say anything...My only regret is that I was not able to try the 394ii. It overheated right when I arrived at the table.
cj7.jpg

3. Holo Bliss/May Stack: Third in the trifecta of awesome was the bliss may combo. This is TOTL end game sound that makes me question my tube addiction. Listening in the ZMF room with several cans it powered dynamics and planars with equal ease, and had clarity and extension to die for, without being clinical and sterile sounding.

Loser: Nimbus/Violectric: Just didn't impress me. I actually preferred the violectric 555 over the Nimbus amp, but I STRONGLY preferred any of the above three over anything at that table.

Iems coming soon...

Oct 3, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #272 of 488
I think in a blind test most people would not pick the HE-1. If people didn't know the price or see all the marble and tubes etc. Just went in completely blind and chose on sound alone.

I kind of disagree, I still think people would still choose the HE-1 in a blind test. Not being able to see and only relying on sound and feel comfort-wise, I still think it’d be chosen more.

What I heard from the HE-1 was not entirely isolated from the experience overall, pomp and circumstance and all, but the technicalities still were there. What I heard and felt as I listened still was primarily on the sound quality alone.

Oct 3, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #273 of 488
I thi

I think in a blind test most people (and I don't mean audiophiles, audiophiles are kinda weird tbh) would not pick the HE-1. If people didn't know the price or see all the marble and tubes etc. Just went in completely blind and chose on sound alone.
giphy.gif

Believe it or not I haven't heard the HE1 - their room was next to ours in London, Ive always felt bad taking a spot to listen. I'll have to coerce them to stay after one show for me. Maybe could be a good trade?

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 3, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #274 of 488
I'll have to see if the Sennheiser guys are cool with doing a joint room next canjam so we can do a real shootout. 🤣
I really want this to go down 😭😭😂

Oct 3, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #275 of 488
LoL that is my wife. She is just very pregnant and not amused with my I think I will buy this one next comment at every booth we visited. :laughing: If you want to save money on your hobby definitely recommend bringing your pregnant wife to CanJam… You’ll leave buying nothing I promise. :laughing:
You must be an amazing salesperson/negotiator to have convinced her to attend. I bow with respect in your general direction!

Oct 3, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #276 of 488
Oct 3, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #277 of 488
My favorite image from Canjam Socal! It expresses the feeling I also had while testing their new Duality! Specifically, that we were all here to share. Even @Chang when he had a moment, popped over to musicteck to test out the competition, but he was smiling like everyone else when he heard something he liked. There's a real joy in sharing the common interest and hobby and I think this pic exemplifies it from the listener perspective.

Here are two sparkling, young, genius examples of everything right in this hobby, except prices 🤣 which is not totally their doing! But happy for them they can take part and they most certainly deserve it!

20230930_134028.jpg

Oct 4, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #278 of 488
Section 2: Amps, Amps, everywhere...
Honestly this may have been my favorite parts of the show. This year I brought my special ZMF Caldera to the show in order to test it on different solid state amps. As a die hard tube fan, I really need to expand my horizon and this was just the chance.

Winners:

1. T + A HA200: This is quite the machine. Compact, attractive, and fantastic overall sound quality. They also demonstrated how you can adjust the impedance to fit the headphones you're using. We adjusted for the Caldera to my preference of around 30. With the same built in dac that the dac200 uses, this is just a one stop shop of awesome sound. The only downside for me is that you aren't able to utilize the dac section to an external amp. Meaning, I'd have to have a separate dac for my beloved Aegis amp. Eric from T+A was my partner for the HE-1 and was a pleasure to be around.
cj1.jpg

2. Mass Kobo 433: Wait, I must mean the flagship 465, right? No! This small form factor amp blew me away and competed toe to toe with the big boys. The Utopia absolutely SLAMMED on this, and the caldera sounded fantastic. All this running on a topping stack. I also got to practice my Japanese with Masuda San. I could tell he was impressed, although he didn't say anything...My only regret is that I was not able to try the 394ii. It overheated right when I arrived at the table.
cj7.jpg

3. Holo Bliss/May Stack: Third in the trifecta of awesome was the bliss may combo. This is TOTL end game sound that makes me question my tube addiction. Listening in the ZMF room with several cans it powered dynamics and planars with equal ease, and had clarity and extension to die for, without being clinical and sterile sounding.

Loser: Nimbus/Violectric: Just didn't impress me. I actually preferred the violectric 555 over the Nimbus amp, but I STRONGLY preferred any of the above three over anything at that table.

Iems coming soon...
No tube amps ?

Oct 4, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #279 of 488
As a IEM guy I'm quite surprised at how loudly some folks listen to open back headphones. There were a couple times I was in the bloom room and folks next to me or across the room had the sound cranked so loud sounded like there was a radio on full blast.
I was wondering myself how they could tolerate the insane volume.

Oct 4, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #280 of 488
No tube amps ?
This year the focus was SS. I can give a shout out to the Aegis in the zmf room, but I’m biased because I built one! I was just happy to try gear on the same set up I have at home.

I also tried the viva monster, but not long enough to really understand it. It was impressive with the tungsten…

Oct 4, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #282 of 488
Super happy to hear how much fun everyone had. We had a great time meeting everyone that stopped by the Mimic-Audio booth and are looking forward to seeing familiar faces in a couple months in Dallas!
You guys were definitely my favorite non headphone manufacturer of the show. Always nice and willing to answer questions.

Oct 4, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #283 of 488
The only downside for me is that you aren't able to utilize the dac section to an external amp
Not entirely true. You can use the front XLR as pre out with the cable T+A is selling. Not as comfortable as a pre on the back, but you'd be able to use the excellent DAC section for other amps as well.

Oct 4, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #284 of 488
My favorite image from Canjam Socal! It expresses the feeling I also had while testing their new Duality! Specifically, that we were all here to share. Even @Chang when he had a moment, popped over to musicteck to test out the competition, but he was smiling like everyone else when he heard something he liked. There's a real joy in sharing the common interest and hobby and I think this pic exemplifies it from the listener perspective.

Here are two sparkling, young, genius examples of everything right in this hobby, except prices 🤣 which is not totally their doing! But happy for them they can take part and they most certainly deserve it!

20230930_134028.jpg
Duality was amazing, that bass....wow. Looking forward to the release next year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back