CanJam SoCal 2023 Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #31 of 488
If someone can try these, I'd like to read comparisons between
- Heddphone V2
- Austrian audio composer
- Modhouse Tungsten

I have not had a chance to check out the Modhouse yet but the Austrian Audio Composer is really, really freaking good; it's a toss up between the Heddphone and the Composer - Heddphone feels wider with their soundstage but I think Composer has more impact on their bass.

But I'll also defer to more seasoned reviewers.

Sep 30, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #33 of 488
Haven’t been to CanJam in years. It was fun.
Problems: most booths used the same music selections which were very limited. When trying to search for a specific song it would not play.
When I asked the Clark Audio rep about it he told me not in a nice way: this is a trade show not your home!
How rude. DCA needs to teach their reps some manners and customer service.
Sennheisers reps on the other hand as well as Meze were very polite and helpful.
Sennheiser did allow to plug in your own device to listen to music you are familiar which is nice.

Stax X9000: I liked it but not much more than the 009S which I already have.
Meze Elite: I was surprised! Great sound. Clean, enjoyable, big soundstage and nice bass and highs. No sibilances or edges. Thinking about it. Liked it more than the Expanse.
DCA Expanse: almost as enjoyable as the Meze. Experience soured by their floor reps.

Sep 30, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #34 of 488
Haven’t been to CanJam in years. It was fun.
Problems: most booths used the same music selections which were very limited. When trying to search for a specific song it would not play.
When I asked the Clark Audio rep about it he told me not in a nice way: this is a trade show not your home!
How rude. DCA needs to teach their reps some manners and customer service.
Sennheisers reps on the other hand as well as Meze were very polite and helpful.
Sennheiser did allow to plug in your own device to listen to music you are familiar which is nice.

Meze Elite: I was surprised! Great sound. Clean, enjoyable, big soundstage and nice bass and highs. No sibilances or edges. Thinking about it. Liked it more than the Expanse.
DCA Expanse: almost as enjoyable as the Meze. Experience soured by their floor reps.
By any chance do you know who that rep was? The weird thing is that Dan is one of the nicest person you’ll meet in the industry but this isn’t the first time I’ve seen one of their reps be somewhat abrasive. I suspect it to be the same person and an anomaly though.

Sep 30, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #35 of 488
What energizer was used for the X9000?

Sep 30, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #36 of 488
I’m back home. Only spent a few hours again. My goal this year was just to see how my ZMF Caldera compares to other ZMF headphones and some of the other top of the line headphones. I was also looking to see how the Caldera sounded on a few other setups other than my own Naim Atom Uniti HE.

At the ZMF room I got to try the Atrium open and close, the Verite closed, and my Caldera on the dcs Lina stack, Feliks Envy, and the Ferrum Oor stack. I didn’t really care for either closed headphones. I felt the Atrium and the Caldera were about equal on the dcs but it’s not my favorite setup. The Atrium sounded way better on the Feliks and pulled ahead of the Caldera. But the Caldera beat the Atrium on the Ferrum and may have liked it better than the Atrium/Feliks pairing. They had the Holo stack there too but once I saw how big it was, I didn’t bother to listen because I knew I’d never want to own it since just too big for my living space.

In the dcs room I got to compare my Caldera against the original Utopia, the Meze Elite and the Susvara on the Lina stack. I didn’t care for the Susvara on this setup. I felt Caldera sounded best followed by the Utopia and then the Meze Elite.

Next was the Headamp room. Compared my Caldera to the Abyss 1266, and Susvara on the gx mk2. Once again I didn’t care for the Susvara but the 1266 sounded really nice with powerful bass. But I can’t stand the fit. It’s got a much more open sound than the Caldera, almost speaker like. Due to fit and how hard to drive, it’s a pass. There was a much more powerful unreleased Headamp that I got to hear the Susvara with and it completely changed them. They now had boomy bass. I didn’t get to try my own tracks or compare directly against the Caldera. That’s the most change I’ve heard a headphone have when switching amps. The Caldera changes but not too drastic.

In main showroom I got to try the new headphone the Composer by Austrian Audio with their amp. They were very light, very open and airy, with lots of detail but not sure for me since didn’t have enough weight and warmth to the music. I tried my Caldera on their amp and wasn’t a fan. The Composer sounds better out of it.

Next I tried the Chord Dave. I’m used to own one a few years ago with mscaler. This one just solo but wasn’t a fan of the Caldera directly out of it. It lacks bass weight and punch. And lastly stopped at the Ferrum booth. Got to try the Caldera on it for a longer session. Really impressed. Has plenty of weight, punch and detail. The original Utopia also sounded great out of it. That’s a wrap.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #37 of 488
Next was the Headamp room....There was a much more powerful unreleased Headamp that I got to hear the Susvara with and it completely changed them. They now had boomy bass. I didn’t get to try my own tracks or compare directly against the Caldera. That’s the most change I’ve heard a headphone have when switching amps. The Caldera changes but not too drastic.

That is our upcoming cfa3 amp, based on Kevin Gilmore's best/powerful solid state design! :) unfortunately I am sick this week and it was challenging enough to just try to get near-production level cfa3 amps out to the show plus one for the Bloom Audio room. We have the previews of the cfa3 Deluxe Edition in the HeadAmp room and the cfa3 Standard Edition in the Bloom room. Glad to hear you noticed the difference with the Susvara..that is my experience as well. At the power levels needed to properly drive Susvara, its really noticeable.

Attachments

• headamp-cfa3-deluxe.jpg
    headamp-cfa3-deluxe.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 0
  • headamp-cfa3-deluxe-on-bench.jpg
    headamp-cfa3-deluxe-on-bench.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 0
HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Sep 30, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #38 of 488
By any chance do you know who that rep was? The weird thing is that Dan is one of the nicest person you’ll meet in the industry but this isn’t the first time I’ve seen one of their reps be somewhat abrasive. I suspect it to be the same person and an anomaly though.
Tall African American gentleman

Sep 30, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #39 of 488
I’m back home. Only spent a few hours again. My goal this year was just to see how my ZMF Caldera compares to other ZMF headphones and some of the other top of the line headphones. I was also looking to see how the Caldera sounded on a few other setups other than my own Naim Atom Uniti HE.

At the ZMF room I got to try the Atrium open and close, the Verite closed, and my Caldera on the dcs Lina stack, Feliks Envy, and the Ferrum Oor stack. I didn’t really care for either closed headphones. I felt the Atrium and the Caldera were about equal on the dcs but it’s not my favorite setup. The Atrium sounded way better on the Feliks and pulled ahead of the Caldera. But the Caldera beat the Atrium on the Ferrum and may have liked it better than the Atrium/Feliks pairing. They had the Holo stack there too but once I saw how big it was, I didn’t bother to listen because I knew I’d never want to own it since just too big for my living space.

In the dcs room I got to compare my Caldera against the original Utopia, the Meze Elite and the Susvara on the Lina stack. I didn’t care for the Susvara on this setup. I felt Caldera sounded best followed by the Utopia and then the Meze Elite.

Next was the Headamp room. Compared my Caldera to the Abyss 1266, and Susvara on the gx mk2. Once again I didn’t care for the Susvara but the 1266 sounded really nice with powerful bass. But I can’t stand the fit. It’s got a much more open sound than the Caldera, almost speaker like. Due to fit and how hard to drive, it’s a pass. There was a much more powerful unreleased Headamp that I got to hear the Susvara with and it completely changed them. They now had boomy bass. I didn’t get to try my own tracks or compare directly against the Caldera. That’s the most change I’ve heard a headphone have when switching amps. The Caldera changes but not too drastic.

In main showroom I got to try the new headphone the Composer by Austrian Audio with their amp. They were very light, very open and airy, with lots of detail but not sure for me since didn’t have enough weight and warmth to the music. I tried my Caldera on their amp and wasn’t a fan. The Composer sounds better out of it.

Next I tried the Chord Dave. I’m used to own one a few years ago with mscaler. This one just solo but wasn’t a fan of the Caldera directly out of it. It lacks bass weight and punch. And lastly stopped at the Ferrum booth. Got to try the Caldera on it for a longer session. Really impressed. Has plenty of weight, punch and detail. The original Utopia also sounded great out of it. That’s a wrap.
Glad you got to try headamps cfa3. I can vouch the caldera is a good pairing with the cfa3 for an excellent solid state reference experience. The cfa3 really grips those planar drivers. Best way to describe the cfa3 for me is always in control, never in the way. Whatever system you put it into, you'll amplify all the qualities in it.

Any chance you tried the new zmf boka (used to be called the portable zmf) and jds amp?

Sep 30, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #40 of 488
I'd like to make a formal apology for bringing the British weather with me to LA

Sep 30, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #41 of 488
Please share impressions for FiR prototype and Oriolous 4XDD.
Fir prototype sounded beautiful, even without kinetic bass!

Others, more experienced than I, liked Oriolus Mochacino more than me. However, I did get to finally test the bird and totally get that one.

Sep 30, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #42 of 488
Glad you got to try headamps cfa3. I can vouch the caldera is a good pairing with the cfa3 for an excellent solid state reference experience. The cfa3 really grips those planar drivers. Best way to describe the cfa3 for me is always in control, never in the way. Whatever system you put it into, you'll amplify all the qualities in it.

Any chance you tried the new zmf boka (used to be called the portable zmf) and jds amp?
I didn’t get to try to portable but believe I got to hear the jds amp. That’s the one that sort of looks like a bread box? I just tried my Caldera out of that and there was another setup to the right of it but forgot name of the amp but started with “N”. Caldera sounded pretty good out of the bread box but a little more liquid sounding out of the other setup. I sort of meant to come back to try the portable but after lunch, wasn’t up for CanJam. And last time it took 4 hours to get back to San Diego. Luckily not much traffic and made in 1 1/2 hours.

Sep 30, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #45 of 488
Had a great time today at the Can Jam. Listened to several ZMF headphones (Caldera, Atrium Closed, Verite Closed) on the DCS stack. The T+A HA 200 headphone amp along with the AmpsandSound Red October (enjoy the 300b tube sound) were two of my favorites at the show. The big suprise for the money is the Schitt Mjolnir 3 paired with the Yggdrasil+ OG, great sound for the money. I kept coming back to listen to this setup. I also met Jason Stoddard and had a chance to speak with him, great guy.

How does one get the SOCAL Canjam emblem under their username on this web page?

Attachments

• IMG_7300.jpg
    IMG_7300.jpg
    966.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7299.jpg
    IMG_7299.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7298.jpg
    IMG_7298.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7296.jpg
    IMG_7296.jpg