CanJam SoCal 2022 (September 17-18, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #451 of 687
We have a fantastic lineup of Seminars for CanJam SoCal 2022! Be sure to arrive early as spaces are limited!

CJ22SoCal_Seminars_Header.jpg

Come join us in the Rancho Las Palmas room on the main level of the Irvine Marriott for a series of interactive discussion panels with some of the industry’s leading experts in audio technology. Always entertaining, extremely engaging, and very informative, these seminars give you a behind the scenes look at the headphone audio industry like nothing else. Spaces are limited, so be sure to arrive early. See you there!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, September 17

In-Ear Monitors 101

12:00 to 1:00p
From humble roots as hearing assistance devices, today’s high-performance IEMs now rival the very best full-size headphones. Come learn all about driver types, driver complement, crossovers, timing, coherency, coupling types, how psychoacoustics can be accomplished with minimal pinnae interaction, and so much more. Join us for this fascinating journey into the past, present and future of high-fidelity in-ears — guided by the legendary pioneer of stage and audiophile IEMs, Jerry Harvey.
Instructor: Jerry Harvey, Founder, Jerry Harvey Audio

Tubes 101
2:00p to 3:00p
Ready to take the big plunge into tube amplification? Join us to discover the truths, and to dispel the myths, of tube-based audio. Learn all about triodes, tetrodes, pentodes, Nutubes, and even solid-state tubes — and how to tube roll your way to audio nirvana. Are tube buffers worth it? What’s the best way to not get ripped off buying tubes? What about current tube shortages? Whatever they may be, get all of your tube amplification questions answered here.
Instructor: Justin Weber, Founder, ampsandsound

Digital Audio 201
3:00p to 4:00p
Looking beyond the basics of digital-to-analog conversion, join us for an invaluable hour of insight into how digital interpolation filters work. This seminar will cover: understanding the importance of interpolation filtering and transients; realizing just how much time domain performance can dictate fidelity and realism, and much more. If you didn’t understand any of that, and you are currently pursuing an endgame rig with a digital source, then this is one seminar you won’t want to miss.
Instructor: Rob Watts, Digital Design Consultant, Chord Electronics

Evolution Of Hearing Simulation, And An Examination Of Frequency Response Targets And How We Use Them
4:00p to 5:00p
An examination of how the most popular hearing simulation standard (commonly referred to as “711”) was first developed well over 40 years ago — and how important advancements made in the decades since must inevitably lead to the adoption of emergent standards. Following this, an insightful discussion of frequency response targets, how they are used in the industry by reviewers, and some important considerations therein. Are we missing the target?
Instructor: Jude Mansilla, Founder, Head-Fi.org

Sunday, September 18

Special Presentation: The Role of Treble Extension In Improving Performance of In-Ear Monitors

While earlier listening studies concentrated on the spectrum below 10 kHz, a significant portion of recorded music occurs as high as 20 kHz. Knowles, a leading manufacturer of balanced armature drivers and microphones for in-ear monitors (IEMs), TWS earphones, and hearing devices, conducted a new study on preferred response curves with a focus on treble performance. Join Kalyan Nadella, Senior Electro-Acoustic Engineer and BA Commercial Team Lead at Knowles, as he shares what was learned about the significance of treble response on listener preferences, and how that led to the development of Knowles’ new balanced armature Supertweeter.
Special Guest: Kalyan Nadella, Knowles Corporation

Special Presentation: Solid-State Fidelity - An Introduction to the World’s First All-Silicon µSpeakers for Personal Audio Devices
This talk will introduce a new, all-silicon transduction mechanism that is set to disrupt century-old coil/magnet driver architectures. This new, solid-state architecture implements both actuation and diaphragm in silicon resulting in unmatched part-to-part frequency response and phase consistency. This innovative transduction mechanism has also produced the world’s fastest and most precise µspeakers, eliminating spring and suspension recovery of coil speakers which improves audio quality and sound field reproduction.
Special Guest: Michael Ricci, Sr. Director Electroacoustic Engineering from xMEMS Labs, Inc.

Special Presentation: Chord Electronics’ Mojo 2
Seven years after the debut of its predecessor, Chord’s long-awaited Mojo 2 portable DAC/amp is finally here. Come join Rob Watts of Chord Electronics for a fascinating recounting of its development over the years, and a comprehensive overview of the Mojo 2’s groundbreaking features, including: UHD DSP (a fully transparent and lossless digital tone control); enhanced menu options featuring an additional control sphere for crossfeed/mute/lock settings; intelligent FPGA-based battery management and charging; and of course more taps.
Special Guest: Rob Watts, Digital Design Consultant, Chord Electronics

Hopefully the seminars would be filmed and uploaded on YouTube. The sessions by JH, Chord, and Knowles touch some very interesting topics. I feel jealous of folks who can be there.

@JAnonymous5150 you need to share some notes after the event, mate :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #453 of 687
We have a fantastic lineup of Seminars for CanJam SoCal 2022! Be sure to arrive early as spaces are limited!

CJ22SoCal_Seminars_Header.jpg

Come join us in the Rancho Las Palmas room on the main level of the Irvine Marriott for a series of interactive discussion panels with some of the industry’s leading experts in audio technology. Always entertaining, extremely engaging, and very informative, these seminars give you a behind the scenes look at the headphone audio industry like nothing else. Spaces are limited, so be sure to arrive early. See you there!

Saturday, September 17

In-Ear Monitors 101

From humble roots as hearing assistance devices, today’s high-performance IEMs now rival the very best full-size headphones. Come learn all about driver types, driver complement, crossovers, timing, coherency, coupling types, how psychoacoustics can be accomplished with minimal pinnae interaction, and so much more. Join us for this fascinating journey into the past, present and future of high-fidelity in-ears — guided by the legendary pioneer of stage and audiophile IEMs, Jerry Harvey.
Instructor: Jerry Harvey, Founder, Jerry Harvey Audio

Tubes 101
Ready to take the big plunge into tube amplification? Join us to discover the truths, and to dispel the myths, of tube-based audio. Learn all about triodes, tetrodes, pentodes, Nutubes, and even solid-state tubes — and how to tube roll your way to audio nirvana. Are tube buffers worth it? What’s the best way to not get ripped off buying tubes? What about current tube shortages? Whatever they may be, get all of your tube amplification questions answered here.
Instructor: Justin Weber, Founder, ampsandsound

Digital Audio 201
Looking beyond the basics of digital-to-analog conversion, join us for an invaluable hour of insight into how digital interpolation filters work. This seminar will cover: understanding the importance of interpolation filtering and transients; realizing just how much time domain performance can dictate fidelity and realism, and much more. If you didn’t understand any of that, and you are currently pursuing an endgame rig with a digital source, then this is one seminar you won’t want to miss.
Instructor: Rob Watts, Digital Design Consultant, Chord Electronics

Evolution Of Hearing Simulation, And An Examination Of Frequency Response Targets And How We Use Them
4:00p to 5:00p
An examination of how the most popular hearing simulation standard (commonly referred to as “711”) was first developed well over 40 years ago — and how important advancements made in the decades since must inevitably lead to the adoption of emergent standards. Following this, an insightful discussion of frequency response targets, how they are used in the industry by reviewers, and some important considerations therein. Are we missing the target?
Instructor: Jude Mansilla, Founder, Head-Fi.org

Sunday, September 18

Special Presentation: The Role of Treble Extension In Improving Performance of In-Ear Monitors

While earlier listening studies concentrated on the spectrum below 10 kHz, a significant portion of recorded music occurs as high as 20 kHz. Knowles, a leading manufacturer of balanced armature drivers and microphones for in-ear monitors (IEMs), TWS earphones, and hearing devices, conducted a new study on preferred response curves with a focus on treble performance. Join Kalyan Nadella, Senior Electro-Acoustic Engineer and BA Commercial Team Lead at Knowles, as he shares what was learned about the significance of treble response on listener preferences, and how that led to the development of Knowles’ new balanced armature Supertweeter.
Special Guest: Kalyan Nadella, Knowles Corporation

Special Presentation: Solid-State Fidelity - An Introduction to the World’s First All-Silicon µSpeakers for Personal Audio Devices
This talk will introduce a new, all-silicon transduction mechanism that is set to disrupt century-old coil/magnet driver architectures. This new, solid-state architecture implements both actuation and diaphragm in silicon resulting in unmatched part-to-part frequency response and phase consistency. This innovative transduction mechanism has also produced the world’s fastest and most precise µspeakers, eliminating spring and suspension recovery of coil speakers which improves audio quality and sound field reproduction.
Special Guest: Michael Ricci, Sr. Director Electroacoustic Engineering from xMEMS Labs, Inc.

Special Presentation: Chord Electronics’ Mojo 2
Seven years after the debut of its predecessor, Chord’s long-awaited Mojo 2 portable DAC/amp is finally here. Come join Rob Watts of Chord Electronics for a fascinating recounting of its development over the years, and a comprehensive overview of the Mojo 2’s groundbreaking features, including: UHD DSP (a fully transparent and lossless digital tone control); enhanced menu options featuring an additional control sphere for crossfeed/mute/lock settings; intelligent FPGA-based battery management and charging; and of course more taps.
Special Guest: Rob Watts, Digital Design Consultant, Chord Electronics
Sweet! These look amazing. Hoping to catch at least one with Rob Watts.

Sep 7, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #454 of 687
I wonder if the Meze 109 Pro will be at the show, even if it is a pre-release version. I’d love to listen to it along with the Lyric.

Sep 8, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #457 of 687
Unfortunately the team at Subtonic let us know that they won't have a unit available for CanJam SoCal.
Damn. Disappointed. Was hoping to hear this after the buzz on it in the London CanJam thread. Too bad.

Sep 8, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #458 of 687
By the way, are masks required for the show?

Sep 8, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #459 of 687
Sep 9, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #461 of 687
Well, here's my setup I'll be taking this year. Slightly modified (again) from last year but is the best setup for me to real quickly test other gear with the sound I'm familiar with (that's portable...) What gear are you all taking?
I flip flop from bringing a ton of gear to absolutely nothing, just so I can just walk around and wing it and enjoy the stay. I'm leaning towards traveling light though. It would be fun to try a Burson amp on some of the closed backs I enjoyed last year though.

Sep 9, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #462 of 687
Well, here's my setup I'll be taking this year. Slightly modified (again) from last year but is the best setup for me to real quickly test other gear with the sound I'm familiar with (that's portable...) What gear are you all taking?
I'll just be taking my Fiio BTR5 this year plus Adapters for it. Want to be able to hear what all the different iems sound like off my most used devicewith my library.

Sep 9, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #463 of 687
I wonder if the Meze 109 Pro will be at the show, even if it is a pre-release version. I’d love to listen to it along with the Lyric.
Our shipping notice shows we will have about a dozen at CanJam for sale and a couple for audition. Are you coming to CanJam JW?

I already have my flights booked. I am going to attend.
Did you make time for the After Party on Monday at TSAV?

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Sep 9, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #465 of 687
Is there a time for the after party ?
Yes I think it’s in the thread but it’s 11am to 3pm in our showrooms about 35 minutes from the CanJam location. Our showrooms are quiet so you’ll be able to critically listen to things. We also have private listening rooms for the guys that are annoyed by pin 📌 drops 😂👍🏻

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back